Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hampton Inn Washington I-95 Largo {US-MD} (no longer Honors)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2005, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, National Emerald Club Elite, Radisson Gold

I'm traveling to Washington DC in July with my family. I got a great deal on 6 nights at the Largo Hampton Inn for only 45,000 pts. Has anyone taken the Metro to/from Largo to central DC? Is it safe? How long is the trip?
Old May 5, 2005, 6:00 am
Suspended

Did a few yrs ago, was staying at the DT. If I remember they took me to the New Carlton station that was a couple of exits away on the Hway. I left my car at the DT, there is parking at the station you must pay for it and seems if you get there after morn rush hour it will be full.
The station is a nice ride a(time wise) out of DC Ithink it was on the Red Line dont hold me to it. Nice cars pretty new, I didnt feel uneasy what so ever when traveling on it or waiting for a train to come.

make sure the HI has a shuttle and note its hours. I dont suggest driving to the station or into DC.
Old May 5, 2005, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I've not taken the metro from this hotel into DC but the hotel itself was pretty nice for a Hampton. I, too, stayed there due to the excellent points/night ratio! IIRC the metro stop was not particularly far, but we were driving...
Old May 5, 2005, 10:10 am
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
From the Metro's Map, it looks like it would be a long two block walk from the hotel to the Largo Metro station. Of course the Hampton offers a free shuttle to the station, so no need to walk if you don't feel like it.

You can also consider driving an parking at the station, cost is $3.50 per day. However I wouldn't recommend it, both because parking is probably scarce as this is a major stop near a highway and why pay when you've got a free shuttle?

You'll be riding the Blue line to reach downtown. L'Enfant plaza a major downtown stop takes approximately 24 minutes to reach and will cost $2.80 one way. Metro Center, another major stop and transfer point is 29 minutes away and costs $2.95 one way. Obviously transfering to other lines would increase the times needed. I would add in a least 5 minutes for wait times for transfers and for your first train to arrive.

If you plan to ride extensively, then I would look into buying one of the Metro passes as they will save you money. A one day pass costs $6.50 and a 7-day unlimited ride pass costs $32.50. More info on the Metro and the passes can be found here.

As for safety, the Metro is relatively safe. I wouldn't go walking down any dark corridors, but otherwise you should be ok.
Old May 5, 2005, 10:56 am
Suspended

If you are truly a guest at that hotel, you can park for free and walk the few blocks to the metro stop. I was told that it was a new or newly renovated metro stop.

Was planning a trip but never made it.
Old May 5, 2005, 11:16 am

Location: ORF & AUS; I have an ex-wife and and an ex-house in both cities.
Programs: AA Gold, DL GM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I satyed at this hotel on points a couple of weeks ago. It is a bargain for 7,500 points. Rooms are standard Hampton. The breakfast was pretty good and it has a restuaruant and bar attached. It is really hard to get to, but once you're threre, it is an easy hop onto the interstate.
Old Nov 15, 2005, 9:37 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Hampton Inn Washington I-95 Largo {US-MD} (no longer HHonors)

I am considering staying at this property and I had a question about access to the Largo Metro Station. Has anyone stayed at this property and walked to the station? If so, approximately how long did it take you to walk from the hotel to the station? Also, did you have to cross any busy roads or have any other problems in walking to the station? I appreciate any information you can provide regarding my questions.
Old Nov 15, 2005, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk!!

I think that this thread from a while back might help.

I think virtually every halfway tolerable Hilton property has been discussed once. So searching is usually a good idea. Well, when the search function is actually working - it's been a little flakey lately.
Old Nov 15, 2005, 3:35 pm

Thank you for posting the link to the previous thread. That information is exactly what I was looking for and it was very helpful. I tried to search for this property but I must have done something wrong since I did not bring up that thread. Since I am new I guess I need to work on the search feature some more.
Old Nov 15, 2005, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; Marriott Platinum Premier; HH Diamond; Hertz President's Circle; Avis PS; AMEX Plat
I stayed there just last week. Be sure to ask for a Diamond upgrade to one of the queen rooms with a private balcony (301, 321, 401, 421, etc.).

The walk to the Metro is about a 10 - 15 minute brisk walk, but I would not do this while it is dark outside; in fact, the hotel keeps a security guard in a car outside at night. I went out very early on the morning that we left to load my bags in the car and he pulled up next to me until I was finished loading.

You do not have to cross any major highways and there is plenty of parking at the Metro stop, but I would recommend the free hotel shuttle. Be sure to pick up a business card at the front desk so that you can call the hotel to pick you up at the Metro taxi stand when you are ready to return. You will be at the first stop on the Blue Line when you leave in the mornings; the trip to the Smithsonian stop, for example, is about 25 minutes. The Metro runs every 4 minutes during the morning commuter rush.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 9:34 am

I appreciate the information about walking in the area after dark. I will be sure to use the shuttle service from the hotel. Thank you for your comments regarding my questions.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 3:12 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Hampton Inn - Largo, MD

Need to stay at this hotel in a month for 1 night. Can't find any reports on it here. Is it new, or just off the beaten track for FT'ers? It's on the DC Beltway just North of Andrews AFB.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 4:39 pm

I don't recall that it's particularly new - however, it has only recently had Metro a short distance away (due to the recent expansion of the Blue line), meaning that it's been off of the radar for a lot of people.

I had scheduled a stay there at the end of this month back in May (before the point jump - this hotel went from Opportunity to Cat 3 ), but I rescheduled my DC trip and have to cancel the stay.

Mike
Old Sep 12, 2006, 6:31 pm

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, US Airways Silver, Hyatt Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, Hertz 5 star
Originally Posted by nako
I don't recall that it's particularly new - however, it has only recently had Metro a short distance away (due to the recent expansion of the Blue line), meaning that it's been off of the radar for a lot of people.

I had scheduled a stay there at the end of this month back in May (before the point jump - this hotel went from Opportunity to Cat 3 ), but I rescheduled my DC trip and have to cancel the stay.

Mike
I lived in Largo a year ago. This hotel is not in a great location. It is close to the metro station and the beltway (just off the ramp for largo) however, I would seriously consider another property. This hotel has been robbed twice this year that i know of and is often the scene of late night "youth gatherings"
Old Sep 13, 2006, 2:15 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I'd be arriving on a Tuesday night, late, and heading out at 7am Wednesday. Hopefully no miscreant youths lollygagging around on a Tuesday night in October....

I need to go to Andrews AFB and don't see any other HH properties closer unless I'm missing something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.