Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Capital Hilton {US-DC}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2005, 4:40 pm

D.C. Hilton

Must give kudos to the concierge at Capital Hilton for a great reference for 4th of July plans. Had dinner at Bobby Van's Steakhouse (great food) and fireworks on the roof of the building. Staff is great and had a great view of the fireworks!!!
Old Jul 13, 2005, 6:52 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by sonofliberty
The Capital Hilton charges $9.95 a day for wireless internet, and it's lousy.
Well there is a trick. Go to the Lobby. Connect to the free Wireless in the lobby. The access point is called hhonors_lobby

Once you have connected and opened a brower to your page of choice, take the notebook back to your room or meeting room and connect to any of the other hhonors access points and it will bypass the splash page which askes for money.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Parking Near the Capital Hilton, DC?

Does anyone know of a parking garage within a couple of blocks of the Capital Hilton in DC that is more reasonable in cost than the Hilton's $28/day parking charge?
Old Aug 17, 2005, 7:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Exclamation The Worst Parking in the World!

Last time I stayed at this property I parked on the street and was lucky enough to find a space right next to the hotel. However, that was a weekend. Street parking in DC is a b*&#h!

I have used the valet at this property once (Feb. '03) and that was one time too many! At that time I would rate it as the worst valet service I’ve ever used!

If you decide to use valet, give yourself - correction give the valet staff - at least 30 min to retrieve your vehicle.

I think most the parking lots near this property are associated/attached to other hotels in the area.

Sorry I couldn’t be of more help
Old Aug 17, 2005, 7:47 am

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
Actually, there are dozens of lots in that area, all about a block or two from the hotel. They all have an "in by 9 AM" deal for about $8-$10 a day (but you won't have in and out privilages that you'll have at the Hilton). So basically, if you don't want to use your car while you're there and you're willing to walk a few blocks, you'll have no problem finding a lot. Just drive around the block and I'm sure you'll spot one.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA: PPro, 4MM; HH: Lifetime Diamond; MAR Life Titanium Hertz: Prez Circle
The hard way is the opposite, i.e., where to leave your car overnight. Anyone with a suggestion?
Old Oct 7, 2005, 7:33 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
I'll be there later this month, so...

Is the lounge open on the weekends? If so, breakfast and afternoon snacks? Also, the place is showing booked full the weekend I'll be there so even as a Diamond I may end up in a hole somewhere. Are there any rooms/areas I should try to avoid at all costs?

Thanks.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 4:17 am

If at first you don't succeed...

I'll be arriving in the evening this weekend. The hotel looks pretty full so I'm thinking of trying online checkin ahead of time. Any suggestions for rooms/floors to look for or avoid? I want nonsmoking so if they have any NS floors that would be useful info. Also, if the lounge is still open on weekends as indicated in prior years' threads it would be nice to know which floor it's on.

And, of course, if anyone knows which room numbers indicate suites or other desirable locations, that's always good to know.

Thanks to any helpful souls.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 7:31 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
I'll be arriving in the evening this weekend. The hotel looks pretty full so I'm thinking of trying online checkin ahead of time. Any suggestions for rooms/floors to look for or avoid? I want nonsmoking so if they have any NS floors that would be useful info. Also, if the lounge is still open on weekends as indicated in prior years' threads it would be nice to know which floor it's on.

And, of course, if anyone knows which room numbers indicate suites or other desirable locations, that's always good to know.

Thanks to any helpful souls.
Lounge will be open. Very basic as far as I am concerned.

I did online checkin a while back. Had a room on the 10th floor and was reassigned a better room on the 14th when I checked in without asking.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by fromYXU
Lounge will be open. Very basic as far as I am concerned.

I did online checkin a while back. Had a room on the 10th floor and was reassigned a better room on the 14th when I checked in without asking.
Thanks. It looks like more rooms have opened up (just based on what hilton.com lists as available) so I may wait until checkin if I can't pick something obviously desirable online.

I'm glad you posted. I have a book that says this hotel has only 12 floors. Without your post I would have wondered what was going on if offered a room on 14. On the roof?!!
Old Oct 27, 2005, 7:22 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
Thanks. It looks like more rooms have opened up (just based on what hilton.com lists as available) so I may wait until checkin if I can't pick something obviously desirable online.

I'm glad you posted. I have a book that says this hotel has only 12 floors. Without your post I would have wondered what was going on if offered a room on 14. On the roof?!!
12 floors is right: no 2nd and no 13th. But I had a room on the "14th" floor.

Have a good time. When I was there it rained for three straigth days.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 6:31 pm

Quick Trip Report

I did use online checkin after all and was offered a variety of room types, including a Junior Suite. Unfortunately the suite was a Smoking room so I opted instead for a Nonsmoking King Towers Room on the (you guessed it) 14th floor, Away from Elevator, Away from Ice Machine. At the hotel I just showed my ID and was given the key packet.

The room was fine except for the lack of air conditioning. I had seen complaints about weak A/C on other threads but hadn't realized until I got there that this was one of those places where the entire hotel has either heat or A/C. You can't have heat in one room and A/C in another. I was told that most people wanted heat while I was there, so no A/C was available. I left the windows open as far as they would go and got a fan from the hotel staff. Not an ideal solution, but it got me through.

The lounge on the 10th floor was indeed open and was fine for a couple days of breakfast and evening snacks. The staff in the lounge was great.

I would probably not stay there again due to not knowing whether A/C would be available. But if they fixed that I'd go back.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 2:29 pm

Programs: NW Platinum Elite, *Wood Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
I've been staying at the Capital Hilton for the past 4 weeks (was up at the Embassy Row a couple weeks before this). I have the same problem with the heat now, just bearly seems to work.

Internet isn't bad for me as the negotiated rate for me, internet is included (<$180).

The lounge has been closed quite often in the past so you get coupons for the buffet in the main resturant. I laugh when I get a glass of OJ and a bowl of cereal (no joke), and it costs like $16; but free to me. they say there aren't enough gold/daimond members there over this week to open the lounge. Go figure.

Any other Hilton Property suggestions in the area? Near a metro. (red or green line) I am on a client out in Hyattsville (not the best of areas!)
Old Dec 29, 2005, 6:10 pm

There's lots of threads on Hotels in DC ... I recommend this one:

Best Hilton Prop in DC:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=442380

But briefly, there's the new HGI - closest to the Metro of any Hilton (it's across the street) which people like. I like the ES on 22nd street. Always great service there. DT Guest Suites is also nice (there's two ... one is all suites and much better).

I would NOT recommend: Hampton Inn convention center (pretty much no frills); DT on Rhode Island Ave (tough to get to and from the Metro); Homewood Suites (also far from Metro).

Now if you're looking for a bargain that's closer to Hyattsville, the Hillton Silver Spring is okay. The area is new with lots of new restaurants and shops, but the rooms are fairly standard with no exec level. However, Diamonds rarely stay there, so I usually get treated well (upgrades to a suite, full breakfast, etc).
Old Feb 23, 2006, 10:10 am

I stayed at the Capital Hilton last night... and had an interesting stay.

First, I checked in and was told there were no rooms left on the executive floor nor any upgrades, but I was given access to the lounge (which was very nicely stocked at happy hour, though drinks were rather pricey).

Anyway, that night I was watching TV when I saw a mouse run across the room. Yikes!

I called downstairs and they told me to pack up and within 5 minutes someone came to my door with a new room key. I was upgraded to a junior suite on the 9th floor (still not executive, but better). A manager called me a bit later to make sure I was alright.

I didn't complain in the morning ... I felt like the hotel had responded adequately... though I wondered why as a diamond I wasn't given the junior suite to start with ... but that's a whole other argument.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.