Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near New York (city), USA {US-NY}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2014, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Print Wikipost

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near New York (city), USA {US-NY}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2019, 11:16 pm

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
I guess no one has stayed at both (it was worth a shot tho). Has anyone ever stayed in the Presidential Suite at The Renwick? There are very few pictures of it available.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by John26
I guess no one has stayed at both (it was worth a shot tho). Has anyone ever stayed in the Presidential Suite at The Renwick? There are very few pictures of it available.
I've never stayed at the Renwick, so I'm sorry I can't provide a comparison. I have stayed at the London last year, in a standard suite, and really enjoyed it (right before the renovations started). I was Gold at the time and received a slight upgrade to a higher floor with view. The room was really spacious and had amazing views (but if you are considering the Presidential Suite at the Renwick then I'm sure you'll have plenty of space there!). I was deciding between these two hotels recently and I'm leaning towards the London for two reasons: (1) better location IMO, and (2) better breakfast benefit. The breakfast buffet at the London was excellent, and they gave us a $30/person credit each morning. You said the restaurant at the London was closed during your stay, so if I were you I'd call them and ask them to explain how they are handling breakfast for Diamonds. That would be important information for me.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
I've never stayed at the Renwick, so I'm sorry I can't provide a comparison. I have stayed at the London last year, in a standard suite, and really enjoyed it (right before the renovations started). I was Gold at the time and received a slight upgrade to a higher floor with view. The room was really spacious and had amazing views (but if you are considering the Presidential Suite at the Renwick then I'm sure you'll have plenty of space there!). I was deciding between these two hotels recently and I'm leaning towards the London for two reasons: (1) better location IMO, and (2) better breakfast benefit. The breakfast buffet at the London was excellent, and they gave us a $30/person credit each morning. You said the restaurant at the London was closed during your stay, so if I were you I'd call them and ask them to explain how they are handling breakfast for Diamonds. That would be important information for me.
Thanks! I called The London and they said they do have a restaurant on the 2nd floor that they are using during renovations. They also said that construction should be finished in late March or early April and to call the week before to get a construction update. They said that most of the actual construction is already done but they need to do a cleanup and that they are waiting for some pieces of furniture to arrive.

If anyone has stayed in the Presidential Suite at The Renwick, I would love to hear from you.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Falcon Flyer Gold, Hilton Diamon, Accor Platinum, IHG Platinum Ambassador
I stayed in the James Renwick Suite about 18 months ago, which I think is now being called the Presidential Suite at The Renwick. To be honest I didn't like it at all. The hotel tries to trade on its history of being an artist studio but to me it just feels a bit grungy and gimmicky. The suite does have plenty of living space but a lot of it is taken up with a kitchen/dining area and from what I remember the kitchen just has a sink and a fridge so wasn't that useful. There is a large balcony and the bathroom is nice, the bedroom was a bit cramped though and wardrobe space was a small open rail.

Since then I've moved all of my stays to The London and I'm very pleased with that hotel, I think it provides good value for money by NYC standards. The suites are spacious, views can be fantastic and the service is generally good. The hard product has definitely seen better days but it was still perfectly serviceable the last time I was there in November. Just one person's opinion but for me I would pick the London every time.
nismo240ssx likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Hyatt (Globalist)
I've stayed at the London in one of those suites and did the same for my wife's birthday. Hands down the worst hotel i've stayed in for a long time (they comped the whole stay after I shared photos of how bad the condition of the room was). If you're coming to NYC for a special trip, that may offset the quality of the room. I believe they're renovating but if they've not yet one the room you're looking at or if it's a gamble, then unless you want to celebrate in a beat up, dirty, tired old room, I'd suggest something else. I was Diamond at the time of my stay last year and had zero recognition. They had a wedding conference on opened most of the suites i couldve been upgraded into to one of those. Nothing like having people knock on your door repeatedly thinking you've a wedding dress collection to show them!

There's cache to a Presidential Suite too!
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by John26
Thanks! I called The London and they said they do have a restaurant on the 2nd floor that they are using during renovations. They also said that construction should be finished in late March or early April and to call the week before to get a construction update. They said that most of the actual construction is already done but they need to do a cleanup and that they are waiting for some pieces of furniture to arrive.

If anyone has stayed in the Presidential Suite at The Renwick, I would love to hear from you.
I've stayed in the Presidential Suite at the Renwick and liked it, but I wouldn't say it is all that different from the regular one bedroom suites with the exception of the dining table and 1/2 bath. The living room area is actually smaller than the one bedroom suites. It does have a nice small terrace. The Pres Suite is normally priced relatively close (within a couple hundred bucks or so) to a night in the regular suites; which I think is fair, given that it is only a moderate step above the standard suites. I like the vibe of the hotel and the restaurant. The service isn't the best, but I've stayed there a few times and know what to expect (calling multiple times and waiting hours for things like towels) and it doesn't prevent me from enjoying staying there. The bed is very comfortable.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, National Executive, Alaska MVP
Guys based on midtown zip code 10001 these are some of the hotels that looks good. Any thoughts one which one to choose? I guess at this distance, it doesn't matter right? just pick a hotel that looks comfortable?

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York City - Chelsea = 38k points

Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea = 43k points

Hampton Inn Manhattan-Madison Square Garden Area 46k points

Hilton Garden Inn New York/West 35th Street 49k points

Hampton Inn Manhattan-Chelsea 33k points

Hilton Garden Inn New York Times Square South 43k

Hampton Inn Manhattan/Times Square South 41k points

Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
I'm with ChinaShrek -- I think the HGI W35th St. might tick off a number of boxes for you. It's close to everything in midtown, like the Empire State Building, Bryant Park, Madison Square Garden. It's minutes from the subway as well as Penn Station. Take an Uber or Lyft in on Sunday when traffic is light and by Tuesday you'll feel comfortable enough to take the train back to EWR.

If you feel like saving some points, the HGI Times Square South is nearby, it's also convenient to Penn Sta, but is a little more west than 35th St, so a little more walking to get to East Side sights.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I don't think you can wrong with any of those - the "Chelsea" ones are a few blocks south and the "Times Square" ones are a few blocks north. The rest are squarely Midtown/PennStation. However, it's all walkable and just a preference of where you'd like to be. If it's your first trip, I don't think they are bad choices.

A few more visits and you tend to develop a preference for a certain area versus others. I personally prefer being a bit further north and am not a fan of the Penn Station area in the 30's. Used to stay nearby for work and just didn't really get into the area. I like the 40's so long as it's not right on Broadway by Times Square (kind of a hassle, but might be fun for the first time). I also tend spend more around Rockefeller Center and eating in Hell's Kitchen.

Again, i think you're fine with any of those options. Also - I thought Hiltons don't charge resort fees on award redemptions?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Check paid rates before you spend the points - good chance some of those HGI's are pretty reasonable.

I tend to avoid Hampton Inns in cities - I just find HGI a much better experience overall. Higher quality, better breakfast experience, usually a fairly quiet business-travel clientele. The HGI's are too small to attract big conferences and aren't the first thing that group travel organizers look for. Ends up being a pretty tame crowd. You see a few flight crews here and there - figure if they like it, then they can't be too bad!!
Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Which Hilton property has the best executive lounge in Manhattan?
Yes I've been wondering that too, but doesn't appear many Hilton properties have lounges...
Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:41 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by canesfan
Yes I've been wondering that too, but doesn't appear many Hilton properties have lounges...
And when they do they are usually pretty lousy
Hilton International properties typically does a 100% better job then in North America
Grog likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 4:21 am

I believe only Midtown has one.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 4:47 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Which Hilton property has the best executive lounge in Manhattan?
Originally Posted by canesfan
Been a while since I stayed, but if it hasn't improved then the Hilton Midtown lounge should not play a factor in the NYC property decision. The evening spread was really bad zapped frozen stuff, leaving bottled water as the only real benefit.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 5:32 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by gengar
Been a while since I stayed, but if it hasn't improved then the Hilton Midtown lounge should not play a factor in the NYC property decision. The evening spread was really bad zapped frozen stuff, leaving bottled water as the only real benefit.
I can definitely second this. The lounge was completely unimpressive and crowded. The only thing nice about it was the never-ending bottled water. Other than that it was over crowded, and nothing to get excited about in the lounge whatsoever. Definitely don’t make the lounge a reason to stay at the Midtown location.

Not to mention the building is from the 50’s, and has centralized temperatures they control. The thermostats in the room mean absolutely nothing. The room was a boiling 73F, and there’s was no way to turn it down. Even opening the window slightly was no help. I cannot sleep with anything above 68F, so I had them send up a fan.

As others have said, there’s no Hilton to write home about in Manhattan, so I would just choose the one with the best location for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.