Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near Dallas, Texas, USA {US-TX}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2014, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Print Wikipost

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near Dallas, Texas, USA {US-TX}

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2010, 10:32 am

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
HGI for me, too. I stayed here in January. Odd design for a HGI, I think it may have been something else in a previous incarnation. Typical good HGI experience.
It was previously the very last of the Wilson World hotels:

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/st...23/story5.html

Getting back to topic I can say I've been in the HGI, the DT, the Anatole, and the Embassy. I would tend to recommend either the HGI or the DT but mostly because I'm more budget concious. If budget is less of an issue probably the Embassy.

What I think:
Anatole - Gilded but not so great in the room. Its one of the great 'grand hotels' of the old world thinking but of newer construction. Its got an impressive lobby and the common areas feature some really interesting stuff (almost museum quality) along with an impressive fitness center. Lots of confernence space. However they don't have much to offer in terms of upgrades to suites and so on. Once you get past the lobby you're in a classic 350 sq ft closet room. Then there is the parking fee...
Embassy - tends to be a little pricier than the others but offers the classic Embassy experience - big breakfast, big room.
DT - quite the bargain really - Diamonds get a coupon for a free movie or dinner credit along with the myway breakfast and they do have upgrades to larger rooms. However, its an older hotel so the bathroom is a little small and the place is 'worn' with some rather seedy businesses nearby despite the proximity to the Anatole.
HGI - classic HGI experience but in an odd layout from its former life. Good for the money but nothing special.

There is also a Homewood - never been in it.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 10:19 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Well....

This is a terribly inconsistent property. As noted upstream, my first stay there I ended up invoking the 100% guarantee.

Per the next couple of posts, things got better.

But a stay this week put this back in the pit category:

Bed was awful. The mattress had clearly been broken down on the left side. Felt like a bad hammock.

Paint on one wall looked like there was a contest among myopic teams to see how little paint each could use and how they could make the same color three different shades.

Some huge stains on the carpet coming out of the bathroom.

The west elevator is seriously scary. Jolts and bounces and doesn't always stop even with the floor.

Took five minutes for someone to show up at the desk to check me in. I finally had to go knock on the door that I knew led to the inner sanctum. Several times.

The hotel's fax machine (for incoming) was jammed and nobody noticed it. I had to ask them to please check it for jams so it had a chance of spitting out my boarding passes.

When I last stayed there 2 1/2 years ago, the manager told me that there were extensive renovations planned to the lobby and common areas. That hasn't been done. That manager also used to do an evening reception with popcorn and a couple of kinds of hot bar food/snacks. That's gone. No cookies either.

The only saving grace was the $55 MVP rate.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA-Plt, UA-1P, PC Plt, National ECEE
Any thoughts on the ES Park Central on a poinstretcher of 18k per night? It's one night with a rental car; and will be going between DFW, the Lakewood neighborhood, and downtown.

I'm curious if anyone has stayed and can comment about the hotel's quality. I'm just a silver, so not expecting upgrades or major benefits.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 9:10 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Superbowl weekend in Dallas Hiltons

I was fortunate enough to get 2 tickets at face value for the Superbowl. I had also arranged to stay with a friend in Dallas because I just assumed that hotels would be overpriced or sold out.

On a whim last night, however, I did an HHonors award search and came up with the Hampton Inn Arlington South and another area Hilton property that I won't name for reasons you'll see below.

In haste, I booked the Arlington South one when the other one I wanted is a little closer and I meant to book it. So, once that 1st booking was done, I did the one I really wanted.

When I went back to try to cancel the Arlington South, I was unable due to the 30 day cancelation period. That's my bad for not looking at the cancelation policy. I called the Diamond desk to ask for assistance in getting it canceled since the reservation was just made. She put me on hold and called the hotel. It was late, but the front desk apparently told her I never should have been able to make the booking since they are - of course - oversold. They said if I called back in the morning and talk to the manager, he would likely just cancel it for no penalty.

So I did that this morning. No problems, and they were happy to refund my points and not charge me any penalty.

I'm now left with my desired reservation at the other property, close to the stadium. What worries me is if that reservation also "shouldn't have occurred" as a the result of the property's inability to mismanage inventory like the Arlington South Hampton Inn. On one hand I'm afraid to call and confirm since I have the web confirmation. On the other hand I don't want to show up to a sold out hotel and no room (with few if any options for being walked).

The reason I'm not giving up the name of the hotel is because I know sometimes management types read this and I don't want someone to find my rez and cancel it. Am I being paranoid? The hhonors site still shows that property, along with 4 others in the DFW area with award availability, including the Hampton Inn Arlington South that I "shouldn't have been able to book". Go figure.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I would hope that a diamond would not be walked. But what would I know?
Old Jan 26, 2011, 3:50 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
IME close in to the big game a hotel room is harder to get than a ticket. For a price the ticket can be had- not so the room. You could try doing something goofy like calling and asking the property to arrange for fresh flowers in your room, as a way of ensuring that your booking is visible to them and in a sense perfecting the reservation. And have a plan B- some HI far enough away that you know you can get in. Or bring sleeping bags

Good luck!
Old Jan 26, 2011, 6:56 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by stifle
I would hope that a diamond would not be walked. But what would I know?
IMHO, I would advise the OP to call the new hotel today to confirm. If there is a challenge, I'd think it would be easier to handle now, rather than when the hotel is slammed during check ins around the big day.

Good luck...
Old Jan 26, 2011, 9:04 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, WN A-List Preferred & CP, Marriott Gold, American Platinum Pro, National Executive
I would jsut show up with my confirmation. I am sure that there are several Diamond's in house, but would think that walking a Diamond would be more of a problem than walking another guest. If it is Hilton Arlington, then you will enjoy your stay. I stayed there for the Cotton Bowl and the hotel, albeit older, was renovated nicely and the service was fantastic! For the cotton bowl, they had a shuttle for $20pp (well worth it as parking at Cowboys Stadium is very expensive!).
Old Jan 26, 2011, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
You can always get walked, elite or not. Check in early or phone in before you arrive to emphasize that you're really coming. Of course the properties around the SB are overbooking on the big weekend. They must have some corporate intelligence on the SB weekend no-show rate. Some fans probably get too polluted to remember what hotel they reserved at.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 6:56 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I called yesterday to inquire about transit options. They have a $15 shuttle, which is great since the cheapest parking at six flags is $71. I also confirmed the reservation, not mentioning that I booked the day before with points. The receptionist was very friendly and said "Yes, Mr. PHL, we have your reservation. See you then!"

I do like the suggestion about checking in online. I don't often do that, but will before I leave home that morning.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
I redeemed points for the Super Bowl last year in FLL and never had the first problem checking in. Granted the split FLL-MIA market makes a difference but this one isn't all that different with Dallas and Fort Worth.

Anyone from the area considering redeeming for points and selling the room aftermarket?
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would book without hesitation. If they decide to cancel your res or walk you I would demand a hefty point compensation given the event complexities.
Overall Dallas area has a lot of hotel rooms, I checked out of curiosity some time ago and many PC properties had superbowl weekend award availability wihtin 20 mile radius.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 1:32 pm

Indufan: I made a reservation with my hhonors points hoping to find someone else willing to spend a crap load on a ticket and go down with me (unable to find so far, regretfully)

Is it possible to do as you mention, and sell my room? How do you transfer it so the person can check in and not use your card for incidentals?

Originally Posted by indufan
I redeemed points for the Super Bowl last year in FLL and never had the first problem checking in. Granted the split FLL-MIA market makes a difference but this one isn't all that different with Dallas and Fort Worth.

Anyone from the area considering redeeming for points and selling the room aftermarket?
Old Jan 27, 2011, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by steelersgoforseven
Indufan: I made a reservation with my hhonors points hoping to find someone else willing to spend a crap load on a ticket and go down with me (unable to find so far, regretfully)

Is it possible to do as you mention, and sell my room? How do you transfer it so the person can check in and not use your card for incidentals?
I don't know any way...because that is really why I said someone local who could check in and then give the key away. BUT, we know that we can reserve rooms for other people...maybe just a call to Hhonors with the name of the person checking in would work. I see some risks on this.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:06 pm

I may have found someone to go with me so hopefully a moot point. I really want to go. I figure that paying about 2000 for a ticket compared to face but having a free and close hotel room I'm ahead of the game.

I find it ironic I'm posting on a flying forum because I don't fly but it's the only place I found people talking about the super bowl and hhonors!

Originally Posted by indufan
I don't know any way...because that is really why I said someone local who could check in and then give the key away. BUT, we know that we can reserve rooms for other people...maybe just a call to Hhonors with the name of the person checking in would work. I see some risks on this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.