Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Photo Identification Required at Check-In?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2002, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

I spent last week in New Orleans. The Front
Desk demanded 2 govt issued photo IDs. They
insisted that this has been a corporate
requirement since 9/11. NOT my experience.

Either the New Orlean Hilton reps are lying
or no other Hilton properties are toeing the
corporate line. This is the first time that
I have run across such a demand.

I gave them my CCW permit and a novelty
passport [for Rhodesia]. They seemed
happy with both. What a frigg'n crock.

Anyone else running across such nonsense?

Adam, what's the real deal?

-doug
Old Jan 19, 2002, 5:51 pm
Suspended

Ten stays since 9/11 NOT ONCE did they ask for even one piece of photo ID much less two,
I usually hand them HHonors card, Airline and credit card when I walk up to the desk.
No quesions asked besides most people usually have only their DL with photo ID.

Sounds like a bunch of crock to me,would they have denied you a room with only a DL? Mike
Old Jan 19, 2002, 5:58 pm

Jan 2 at Hilton Suites Anaheim I was surprised by the same I.D. request. She said it was policy since 9/11. In my previous stay in Dec they didn't ask. Every other Hilton or Hampton stay since then they haven't asked. My bet is it is corporate policy and it is being enforced about as well as breakfast for Gold and Diamonds!
Old Jan 19, 2002, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton, Hyatt
Stayed at Hilton Fremont/Newark last week, and the front desk did ask to see Driver Lic. when handed over Hhonors card, Freq flier card, and CC. First time being asked since 9/11. So, maybe they are doing something new??
Old Jan 19, 2002, 6:50 pm

Four stays this month so far (three in DC area, if that would matter). My experience is exactly the same as MIKESILV's. Gave my HHonors card, airline card and credit card, and not even once was I asked to show any form of ID.
Old Jan 19, 2002, 7:24 pm

Location: Dirt USair, Gold Hilton, Gold Marriott, Platinum Hyatt
I thought it was me

I've been asked to show ID (driver's license or passport) at each Hilton property that I've checked into so far this year.

That's been:
Hilton (O'Hare)
Hampton Inn (Bloomington, IL)
Homewood Suites (Texas)

but, maybe it is for HHonors. So far I've been upgraded at the Hilton twice to a suite and got the breakfast certificates (GOLD)

Take care
Old Jan 19, 2002, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmmmmmmm. Nine nice (actually 8) different stays, 3 countries, 2 name misspellings and never once was I asked for more than "And how will you be paying for that, sir?". I gotta breakfast certs every time too (with 4 name misspellings). Drink certs 4 outta 4.

I guess I must just look honest ,and I hope we dont have to start removing our shoes at the front desk.

MisterNice
Old Jan 19, 2002, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Louisville, Indy, Baaltimore, Phily, Tampa, Orlando, Ocala, OHare, Raleigh, Wilmington, NYC and several more....NONE asked for photo

[This message has been edited by mikey1003 (edited 01-19-2002).]
Old Jan 19, 2002, 10:27 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I've been asked for an ID several times since September at Hilton properties, but not all the time. I think several times I just handed it over after walking in without being asked, so I don't know if they wanted it or not.

Things have changed, I really don't see what the big deal about it is, just hand them the ID when you are checking in and be on your way.
Old Jan 20, 2002, 12:39 am

My response would be, "I'm sorry, but I am not driving on this trip so I left my license at home. Now, do you have an upgrade available?"

Just what does this ID request at Hilton or anywhere else have to do with the war against terror. Are they going to match your ID against a "don't rent to these guys list"?
Old Jan 20, 2002, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
I have stayed at two Hiltons since september,

Hilton Berlin and Hilton Boston Back Bay over the new year period. I have just handed over my HHonors card,credit card and Virgin FC card. I have not beekn asked for any other form of ID ( of course I've got my passport with me since I'm out of the UK)
Old Jan 20, 2002, 7:50 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cordelli:
Things have changed, I really don't see what the big deal about it is, just hand them the ID when you are checking in and be on your way. </font>
Correct me if I am wrong but the original poster did say TWO pieces of Govt issued ID
does everybody run around with two photo ids ???.
The only two I have are my DL and passport
and I sure as hell arent going to be showing my passport to rent a domestic hotel room.
Mike

Old Jan 20, 2002, 8:50 am

I have a college ID from a couple of years ago .. I went to a state school, so does that count for a 2nd gov't issued photo ID ?? =)
Old Jan 20, 2002, 9:11 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pointman:
My response would be, "I'm sorry, but I am not driving on this trip so I left my license at home. Now, do you have an upgrade available?"
</font>
No ID? That leaves out flying, driving and the train. Maybe you came by bus?

Old Jan 20, 2002, 9:16 am
Suspended

Location: IAH-LAX -IAH Continental - Platinum EARNED(with calouses on my butt) Hilton Honors - Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by drtravels:
No ID? That leaves out flying, driving and the train. Maybe you came by bus?

</font>
May be he hitchhiked ?

------------------
"A Southwest line never gets longer, It only gets wider"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.