Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Late Check Out" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Late Check Out" thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Radisson (Gold)
Maybe someone has noticed, I just got 3pm at Hilton Wembley Park, which is surprising as Juventus and Tottenham are playing at Wembley Stadium - the hotel
is definitely full (including the Juventus team that I had breakfast with :-). I didn’t need it, just collecting data for this thread.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:58 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by flyou10

I don’t understand? They talked to you about a late checkout as you checked in?? I just refuse to believe that’s a real thing.
LOL, why do you "refuse" to believe it!? Its absolutely (as others have also assured you) a real thing. The more I stay at Hiltons across the US the clearer the advantages of Hyatt, Marriott and SPG properties become especially with late checkout.
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite; Hilton Diamond
Ha! That’s definitely sarcasm.

One thing I have noticed is overseas is so much better than the States. When people say they actually got a late checkout or another benefit it’s not overly surprising. Where Hilton drops the ball versus their competition is in the US.
BOStonTravels likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
At check-in at the HGI Mong Kok last week on a 3 night stay they asked if I needed a late checkout. I said no as my flight was leaving around 10am.

Ended up changing to a later flight, so I needed the late checkout. Went down to the front desk the day before departure, knowing that the hotel was fully booked the next night so expecting some pushback.

Asked for the late checkout, the lady asks for my room, and says 'yes', which completely threw me, because I hadn't said what time I wanted. Asked what time, and she said 4pm and then checked if that was late enough?

The US hotels certainly could learn from their Asian counterparts...
Old Mar 11, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Hilton Charlotte City Center: I asked for 2pm and they said they could only do 1pm without charge. I asked again for 2pm and they said only 130p without charge. I asked again and after a big pause said they could do 2pm but would charge if any later. Sigh.

Response from hotel to my comments about this in the survey:
"I would like to personally reach out and apologize for the poor level of service we provided from the late checkout inconvenience to not being upgraded. I will be sharing your comments with our upper management to ensure we resolve these issues immediately. We absolutely missed an opportunity to make sure your stay reflected our appreciation of you being a valued Hilton Honors member and I am sincerely sorry for what transpired."

Last edited by dmodemd; Mar 12, 2018 at 10:58 am
Old Mar 11, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: La Quinta Elite IHGSPIRE HH Diamond BW Diamond Hyatt Diamond
Doubletree Norwalk (Los Angeles) let's me check out at 2pm on Saturdays. Breakfast lasts until Noon on the weekends.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
I realize this is a half decade old thread, but it appears in the wiki and I didn't think my question warranted a new thread . I have gold status from hilton amex card and am considering getting the aspire card for the Diamond status.

Is there an appreciable difference in success of getting late check out (at least 2pm but ideally as late as 4pm) having Diamond status compared to Gold status? Obviously if the hotel is packed, no one gets it, but just wondering if otherwise Diamond gets some kind of special treatment or priority. Same question as to early check-in.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 9:13 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
Is there an appreciable difference in success of getting late check out (at least 2pm but ideally as late as 4pm) having Diamond status compared to Gold status? Obviously if the hotel is packed, no one gets it, but just wondering if otherwise Diamond gets some kind of special treatment or priority. Same question as to early check-in.
No.

Neil
Old Apr 3, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite; Hilton Diamond
No
It is one of my largest gripes about Hilton. You will have to beg to get even 1 hour and usually be met with an attitude. Even as a Diamond. If late checkout is important go to a brand that guarantees 4pm. (SPG, Marriott, and Hyatt). Avoid Hilton.
CKDGM and ContinentalFan like this.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Recently got a 230pm late check out. Was a first and latest for Hilton. Still lagging Hyatt for sure.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 2:05 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
OT query: I can understand people wanting to leave their work place early on the afternoon of Dec 31, afterall that's New Year's Eve. But what was so special about Thursday, Dec 30? At least here in southern Oklahoma it was just another day.
Oklahoma is a business destination and not much of a leisure destination. But New York, San Francisco, and London are touristy! NYE there is more than one day on the calendar and people take off more than one night to celebrate. This is based on my own experience as well as my job working for several years as a front desk agent.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Yeah, as long as this thread has resurfaced, have to say that this is something I just don't "get" about Hilton ... Once I did not re-qualify as Hyatt Glob (Diamond) I was thinking of just throwing-in with Hilton... But then based on experience and now what I am reading here, Hilton just doesn't seem to like later check-outs. Even when I was a faux Hilton Diamond it was like pulling teeth to get to stay in a Chicago hotel room until 12:30 or 1pm. Whereas even as a Hyatt Explorist they are still asking me at check-in if I want to hold the room until 2pm. I realize that this is not a big deal for many folks, but for those of us who like it, it can be a reason for going elsewhere.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
It may be more significant in regards to if the hotel is packed the day you wish to check out.

Hilton GUARANTEES a 3pm check-in. Also, Hilton has their advanced online check-in. If the hotel is sold out the day you are checking out, they can't let someone check out at 4pm if someone may be checking in at 3pm. Even more significant if someone has done the online check-in for the room your occupying. If someone has already checked in for that room, it looks even worse if the person arrives at the hotel and tells that person that they can't check into the room they've already checked into. People get pretty perturbed if they've checked in for a specific room online and then are told they can't get that room when they arrive at the hotel. And even on that - since one doesn't even need to stop at the desk when arriving at some hotels, they can't walk up to their room at 3pm only to find it occupied by the previous night's guest.

So, with all of that, Hilton rarely will give a late checkout. They've decided that guaranteeing a specific check-in time is more important than someone requesting a late checkout.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
It may be more significant in regards to if the hotel is packed the day you wish to check out.

Hilton GUARANTEES a 3pm check-in. Also, Hilton has their advanced online check-in. If the hotel is sold out the day you are checking out, they can't let someone check out at 4pm if someone may be checking in at 3pm. Even more significant if someone has done the online check-in for the room your occupying. If someone has already checked in for that room, it looks even worse if the person arrives at the hotel and tells that person that they can't check into the room they've already checked into. People get pretty perturbed if they've checked in for a specific room online and then are told they can't get that room when they arrive at the hotel. And even on that - since one doesn't even need to stop at the desk when arriving at some hotels, they can't walk up to their room at 3pm only to find it occupied by the previous night's guest.

So, with all of that, Hilton rarely will give a late checkout. They've decided that guaranteeing a specific check-in time is more important than someone requesting a late checkout.
For me, getting in early or at the exact time I am able to check in is much more important than late check out. I can always just leave my bags at the front desk and head out if I need a place to hold my bags before I head out of town. It's a YMMV thing. I've lost my multi-year Diamond status more because my travel patterns changed and the Hilton in Rye, NY is a total dump. I miss the 7 months that I lived at the Hilton Cardiff
Old Apr 4, 2018, 2:00 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
Actually not always the case--they are often quite willing to provide Diamonds (and others I suppose) with a later checkout with increasing fee by length of lateness of checkout . . . I'd rather have a guaranteed time for late checkout.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.