Search

Reward stay claim

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2004, 6:07 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier Platinum, DL Gold, Lifetime Bonvoy Titanium
Reward stay claim

I actually have 2 issues to present here and since yall are the subject matter experts, I would appreciate any comments that you might have.

I had a reward stay at a Hilton property in August 2003. I got a voicemail message yesterday from the "Area GM" stating that HHonors has not reimbursed them for my reward stay. She also stated that she has taken the liberty of checking my reward redemption history with HHonors and noted that my account has not been deducted for my reward stay. She also added that I need to call HHonors to sort this out.

I have 2 issues here:
1. This stay was more than a year ago. Should the "Area GM" be asking me about this stay at this stage? Should I now start worrying about my previous reward stays from 2 years ago?
2. Does the "Area GM" have a right to query HHonors about my reward redemption history? Does HHonors have the right to share my reward redemption history to an "Area GM" without my consent?

I can appreciate that the "Area GM" wants to be reimbursed for the reward stay. I just thought that she should have queried me directly (and no one else) in a more expeditious manner. IMHO, I also do not see how this could be good customer service, i.e., giving the burden of proof to the customer more than a year after the stay.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 8:09 am

Isn't it scary when you see how a company as large as Hilton actually operates? Obviously HHonors has been ignoring this GM and he's resorted to contacting you to try to pump up his revenue for his area. Was this at an expensive resort? I sure hope so...if this GM is nickle and diming you it would be even more pathetic of a move.

This GM is exposing Hilton's internal "dirty laundry" and mismanagement to its customer. This is obviously a matter that should be resolved internally, what are you going to do about HHonors reimbursing his "area?"

I see nothing wrong with a GM being able to check redemption history. Now if he had taken the liberty of deducting the points himself without going through HHonors, that would have been a problem. I just don't understand what this individual expects you to do, you can't deduct the points from your account, and you sure as hell aren't gonna reimburse him for a REWARD stay.

Originally Posted by AusTXHiker
I actually have 2 issues to present here and since yall are the subject matter experts, I would appreciate any comments that you might have.

I had a reward stay at a Hilton property in August 2003. I got a voicemail message yesterday from the "Area GM" stating that HHonors has not reimbursed them for my reward stay. She also stated that she has taken the liberty of checking my reward redemption history with HHonors and noted that my account has not been deducted for my reward stay. She also added that I need to call HHonors to sort this out.

I have 2 issues here:
1. This stay was more than a year ago. Should the "Area GM" be asking me about this stay at this stage? Should I now start worrying about my previous reward stays from 2 years ago?
2. Does the "Area GM" have a right to query HHonors about my reward redemption history? Does HHonors have the right to share my reward redemption history to an "Area GM" without my consent?

I can appreciate that the "Area GM" wants to be reimbursed for the reward stay. I just thought that she should have queried me directly (and no one else) in a more expeditious manner. IMHO, I also do not see how this could be good customer service, i.e., giving the burden of proof to the customer more than a year after the stay.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 8:32 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I'm shocked that the GM would drag you into the mess. It sounds like something to be resolved between the GM and HHonors only...

I would suggest calling HHonors - only to make a complaint of the Area GM's behavior. Who has time to deal with these little things from yesteryear?

Checking redemption history is not a big deal.. though had s/he removed points w/o HHonors consent is another story.

... I wouldn't be too hard on the GM, though.. I am almost positive you noticed the points not being withdrawn appropriately.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you turn over a certificate when you had the stay? Do you not follow your points and noticed none were deducted for the stay? Did you say to youself "Yeah, a really free stay".

A quick call to HHonors to ask if the points were ever deducted for the stay. If they were then it is between HHonors and the hotel. Call the hotel back and say the points were deducted. If not then you either need to pony up the points or the money for the stay. i would say the hotel has been trying to get reimbursed for the stay from HHonors for a while with no luck and have resorted to contacting you.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 9:36 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier Platinum, DL Gold, Lifetime Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Baze
Did you turn over a certificate when you had the stay? Do you not follow your points and noticed none were deducted for the stay? Did you say to youself "Yeah, a really free stay".....
Yes, I turned in the certificate at check-in. Otherwise, they would have noted that immediately and charged me the regular hotel rate by the time I checked out. I do closely follow my account activity. That's why I found it to be improbable that I would have missed a rightful deduction to my account. For the record, I would never be so dishonest and conclude "Yeah, a really free stay."

No, points were not deducted from my account for this stay. Why? Because the certificate I used was given to me by a friend. The points were deducted from his account. I called my friend and he verified with HHonors that the certificate was in fact used by me at the Hilton property I stayed in. Frankly, I almost forgot about that. My initial response was how come my reward redemption history did not show a deduction for the correct certificate code for 2003. What if I did not remember? This property would potentially be "paid" twice for the same stay. That's what I have a problem with. They should be responsible for their internal tracking, not me. IMO, I don't think it is proper to ask me, the customer, to sort this out with HHonors esp. 1 year and 3 months after the stay.

I did file a complaint with the Customer Assistance desk. They want to give the "Area GM" a chance to respond before they take any action. I have yet to hear back from the "Area GM."
Old Dec 7, 2004, 10:27 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Ah, this is important.

Now things make sense.. I am sure it's just a simple misunderstanding. The Area GM was lacking this bit of information.. that's all.

Originally Posted by AusTXHiker
No, points were not deducted from my account for this stay. Why? Because the certificate I used was given to me by a friend. The points were deducted from his account.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the detailed response. It cleared a lot up for me. And I hope you did not take it as I was implying you "Yead really free stay". I was just throwing options out.

So the points were taken out of your friends account and you did turn in the certificate then this is clearly an internal issue with HHonors and the hotel. They probably lost the certificate. Now that you ave pointed out the points were from a friends account it should be cleared up quickly as there is definitely a trail showing you and your friend did what you were supposed to.

Cheers

baze
Old Dec 7, 2004, 12:19 pm
Community Director Emerita

AusTXHiker, I would be appalled if Hilton came after me for compensation (points or money) for a stay more than a year old. There should be a statute of limitation on them cleaning up their books. I doubt that I would be extended any latitude if I wanted to pursue additional points from a stay over a year old.

Thank goodness, you remembered who had supplied the award cert - but that burden should have been on your shoulders within a month of your stay, not over a year later.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Hilton actually came after me for an error THEY made almost a year previously, but instead of contacting me they just deducted points from my account making it negative and closed it First I thought it was just a web problem when I couldn't access my account, then called and was told it was closed but no reason -had to wait 2 days until ther person who had closed it was in!

It took a lot of my time to straighten this out -again because it was almost a year after the event. They claimed they had an unlimited amount of time to correct errors

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.