Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

If a suite is empty, should a Diamond get it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If a suite is empty, should a Diamond get it?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2004, 12:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyWithoutWings
I've never gotten a Hilton upgrade - never even been offered club access! Of course, I'm only silver, so they spit on me when I walk in.
Well, there ya go...you need to make yourself Gold sometime in the next zero to four stays. Surely there's a current thread here about how to do that?
Old Jun 28, 2004, 2:27 pm

Programs: Marriott:Plat Hilton:Diamond Starwood:Gold DL:Gold WN: Comp Pass
Red face HH suite upgrades

I'm Diamond and have had 100% success of suite upgrades at HGI's, sometimes getting a tworoom suite at HGI...I wasn't aware of their existance until I got one last year at the Tampa HGI.

I rarely stay at HH full service properties as I find them somewhat lacking compared to the Marriott fullservice down the street. I'm Plat there.

My repeat HH full service is at Deerfield Beach where I have gotten the penthouse twice in two stays. Both stays were one nighters and the desk gal told me, no way could I do another night as the room was booked and sold for $500+ The room is a blast, LR, bar downstairs with its own balcony and then up the stairs to a BR and private bath....and another balcony.

Room 828 to be exact, there are only 2 suites at this location.

This property also sells rooms for less than the Hampton Inn 1/4 mile away....go figure. There's a bus ctr. here but no h.s. in the rooms. :-:
Old Jun 28, 2004, 3:22 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Upgrades with HH is a misnomer. You get an upgrade from a standard room to the Executive floor. That is it. However, Diamonds often get moved to better rooms, even suites on occasion. I usually book the room I need, any upgrades are a bonus. I do not depend on them. That usually keeps me happy.

I read lots of comments about not getting the suite that was expected and I have little sympathy for that. It is not part of the deal, so why expect it. You want a suite, pay for one. You will never get disappointed like that.
Old Jun 28, 2004, 4:11 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
"Hilton: Regular Room --> Room on Club Floor with better view.
Starwood: Regular Room --> Suite on Regular Floor with better view."

Personally I like Hilton's system better. Club access is a great value, not to mention health club etc. I also have had my fair share of suite upgrades at international (ie non US) properties--e.g. South Africa, China, Mexico but also in USA!

Have limited experience as SPG Platinum but so far it has not been positive with suite upgrades in international arena, my main area of travel.

At least with Hilton, even if they can't upgrade me, I do get access to health club, to free breakfast etc.
Old Jun 28, 2004, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by liveon777
Example: Charleston Harbor Hilton, stay Mon-Thur. every week, and notice that the big rooms on the corners are rarely occupied.
Should i be getting upgraded? (yes I know there are varying variations of the policy)

Also, they "changed the policy" for turndown service, now you get bottled water the night of checkin, and no longer every night.

What gives?

I usually get a suite. I ask very politely, never demand, never act like Mr. BigShot Diamond, that never works. The guy at the front desk - the guy making $9 an hour - doesn't appreciate someone acting like that. So be nice, smile, make a joke or whatever and you will see a big increase in the suites. I got a suite at the Waldorf a few times - finest hotel accomodations I have ever seen by the way.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold,
Originally Posted by ediddy
I usually get a suite. I ask very politely, never demand, never act like Mr. BigShot Diamond, that never works. The guy at the front desk - the guy making $9 an hour - doesn't appreciate someone acting like that. So be nice, smile, make a joke or whatever and you will see a big increase in the suites. I got a suite at the Waldorf a few times - finest hotel accomodations I have ever seen by the way.

Although I don't get a suite as regularly as ediddy, I will concur that a great attitude goes a lot further than any other kind of incentive/disincentive toward getting your way.

My batting average for suites is about 10% (so about 3x/year), with a few "presidentials" thrown in (albeit at some of the least interesting properties - Embassy Row, Universal City and Eugene). However they were quite nice, and I have been quite grateful. Developing a personal relationship with the key people (as I have tried to do at the Checkers and Paddington) also helps you.

I also agree that the club level thing can be quite nice - especially if the hotel is the Conrad HK, Conrad BKK or the Paddington.

<G>
Old Jun 29, 2004, 7:46 pm

Wink Only twice...

In 7 years as Gold, I've only gotten two suite upgrades, but they were wonderful. The first time, 4 years ago, we were trying to check into the Pensacola Beach Hampton Inn, a fantastic and inexpensive beach property. I hadn't made a reservation; we'd simply shown up on a lark. When I was totally disappointed and despairing of finding a room on the beach that night, the clerk handed us a key to the owner's suite. Two rooms, two bathrooms, two balconies, lots of amenities and a perfect weekend became reality.

Then 4 years with no more suite upgrades and we show up a month ago at the London Green Park Hilton. We were upgraded twice, once to a deluxe room and after one night, to the top suite in the place. Wonderful, two and a half rooms, only one bathroom, but what a bathroom! A dressing room, great amenities and the suite made our London end to a wonderful trip.

Frankly, I don't care how often I get an upgrade--who cares on a business trip--but I sure do appreciate the rare instance, especially when it is as exquisitely timed as these two experiences were.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 9:07 pm

Suitely satisfied

Should you get upgraded if it is available? As a Diamond, I say absolutely! But when reality slaps me in the face, my success ratio is lower. I am quite happy though with the consideration I get from most of the Hilton brands. With the exception of Scandic and Hampton, I almost always get what I bargained for: exec floor and lounge access, or breakfast. At many hotels I get more, such as a mini or full suite upgrade, a bottle of wine, or a tin of cookies. My suite percentage is probably about 1/3 success. If I need a suite, I ask and can't remember a time recently that I have been turned down. I also like the Hilton family's policy of being reasonable about fees. Most rooms have bottled water and reasonable phone rates. Their room service fees seem less than most.

I had to choose between Starwood and Hilton, and it was Hilton hands down. They are everywhere. They treat you well and give you what they promise (which, by the way, is a great improvement from a couple of years ago). They also give you something extra more times than not. Finally, your points are much more valuable as a Diamond than a Gold.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 2:33 am

Location: Mesa, AZ., USA, DL Gold,CRC,WN whatever,AA nobody,HHonors Diamond,Starwood Gold, could careless about Rental Car Co's.
WOW! I am surprised that so many Dia don't get suites as their upgrade. Maybe its just me, but I am about 90% this year at HI/Suites and Hilton and HGI in receiving suites. It depends on your definition of a suite. If it's bigger than a standard room (Jr) or multi room suite, then I am 90%. I not only request on-line, but FAX ahead of time and ask at the desk. I always attempt to get a rapport with the Guest Relations Manager. The best is the SLC Downtown Hilton. Almost everytime I receive the Presidential Suite, 2100 square feet! But they have many other large suites too. Once the front desk manager photocopied all of the suite layouts for me so I could choose on future stays. Jr suites are the norm, but those that have premium suites, its there for the asking if available, trust me.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 8:03 am

Exclamation

Never count on getting a suite @ Sacramento Arden West.(I am staying here now for 3 nights) I paid for a concierge level room and that’s what I got. After asking the front desk manager about this, was told next time book a regular room and they will upgrade you to the concierge level. On this stay, I would have saved $72.00 per night. Live and learn! @:-)

Last edited by TRVLRZ; Jun 30, 2004 at 8:27 am Reason: Websters :-)
Old Jun 30, 2004, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Avis Rock Star
Originally Posted by ediddy

I have certainly NEVER demanded a suite. I realize that would probably go nowhere. I rely on my experiences as a Marriott Plat, and politely ask upon checking in, which had worked nearly 100% at Marriotts in MSP, Dallas, NYC, etc. But not once has it worked in Charleston. There is always a changing reason: "we don't do that here", "it's a new policy", "but we already have you in room xxx and I don't know how to change it", etc.
Believe me, I book 4-12 people here weekly, have a great rapport with the Sales Manager, bertenders, and front desk staff, and guarantee them good revenue weekly.
Roughly more than half the rooms have balconies, and I can't even get one of those! My room has what they just started to call a "Juliet Balcony"
Translation: the window opens. Umm, that's creative labeling.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
Having been both Hilton Diamond and Starwood Platinum, I can say that that the upgrade is usually as follows:

Hilton: Regular Room --> Room on Club Floor with better view.
Starwood: Regular Room --> Suite on Regular Floor with better view.

Personally, I like Starwood's upgrades better!
Interestingly enough, my record has been the opposite -- a 30% suite success rate at Hiltons and a 20% suite success rate at Starwoods. Although to be fair, my Hilton stays have usually been shorter, so the probability of a suite being open has likely been better.

A big ^ to the Hilton Austin and the Westin Park Central Dallas for giving me two of the largest suites I've had thus far...
Old Oct 25, 2005, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
On 1 night stays this years, my track record has been 50% suite upgrades at Hiltons. Additionally, I have maybe a 20% record of upgrades to 3 room suites at Embassys. At Hilton, I'm always upgraded to the Executive level, or given access to the lounge. At Doubletree, I'm 50% on getting a better room, no suites however. NO HGI this year. At Hampton, I always get what I pay for, no upgrades this year or ever.

I never ask for an upgrade. If I get one, it was assigned in advance. I certainly understand not getting a suite for a 5 night stay. I know they are sometimes paid for and the hotel should have the ability to rent one out once a week at least and giving it to me for a week precludes that possibility.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 5:13 pm

Absolutely and positively I deserve a suite!

The carrot of quite possibly commanding a suite is one of the major reasons I have been loyal to Hilton throughout the years to be Diamond.

Think about it, the hotel industry has a rapidly deteriorating inventory - when the sun comes up the room from last night has NO VALUE. So give that empty space to me and make me feel like a big deal. Voila - instant loyalty and free advertising when I brag to my friends about how wonderful the property is.

In accounting terms, the marginal cost of giving me the suite vs a crappy regular room is very cheap.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 8:02 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I've done more nights with the Hilton brands than any other hotel brand in the past couple of years ...... and yet I have the lowest percentage of suite upgrades with Hilton than anyone. Actually, I cannot recount more than a handful of Hilton-affiliated properties where I've been upgraded to a proper suite within the past few years.

Starwood? A bunch .... and best in class when it comes to upgrading to suites.
Hyatt? A good bunch too.
Intercontinental Hotels? Quite a few.
LHW? Quite a few.
Hilton? Bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.