Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Turndown service - is there any point?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2023, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: hhonors diamond

I stayed at the Hilton London Bankside last week, after getting back to my room ( around 5-30pm ) From the spa I noticed the slippers from the wardrobe was put on a white tea towel on the floor by the bed, the covers was pulled back slightly and the curtains drawn.
This has not happened to me for a while in a Hilton but it just seems a bit kinda pointless and perhaps old fashioned?…..agree / disagree?……. Just alone in my thoughts and wondering what you guys think?.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 1:45 pm

At a high end property like Conrad I could see doing this, surprises me at a Hilton
Old Nov 28, 2023, 1:47 pm

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
Originally Posted by wizla
I stayed at the Hilton London Bankside last week, after getting back to my room ( around 5-30pm ) From the spa I noticed the slippers from the wardrobe was put on a white tea towel on the floor by the bed, the covers was pulled back slightly and the curtains drawn.
This has not happened to me for a while in a Hilton but it just seems a bit kinda pointless and perhaps old fashioned?…..agree / disagree?……. Just alone in my thoughts and wondering what you guys think?.
Depends what is done. Tidy the room, replenish the water, remake the bed if you've had an afternoon nana nap, empty the bins? All good and appreciated and I'm used to such things on a cruise ship but rarely in a Hilton. But putting out the slippers (that don't fit) on a white tea towel is more show than substance.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 1:51 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I definitely appreciate a turndown service. If I didn't want any kind of housekeeping reminding me that I'm not just at home, I'd book an AirBnB. In the Hilton chain I normally only ever see it as Waldorf Astorias and a minority of Conrads.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 2:01 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
It also depends on type of the room, in many properties it's not provided for basic rooms but it is for some higher categories. And there was at least one property where I stayed which provided it as a Diamond benefit.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 2:30 pm

If there's a stuffed animal and some chocolate involved, I'm in
Old Nov 29, 2023, 12:13 am

Programs: AS MVPG (R.I.P 75K), DL, HH Gold
Originally Posted by wizla
With the way I typically use a hotel room, turn down service is an intrusion. Housekeeping every few days - sure - but no more than that, even at the Conrad.
bse118 and :D! like this.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 1:35 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
I've always appreciated it at the Bankside. Usually they remove any rubbish, dish out water if you have used any etc. If it were just to get the slippers out, then I wouldn't value it, but the quick clean and tidy is always appreciated.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 2:27 am

Programs: Hilton Honors diamond
I was far from impressed by it when I stayed a couple of weeks ago. After the first night I put the Go Green label outside my door indicating I didn’t want housekeeping to clean my room, felt a bit silly after only being in it for a couple of hours. As a thank you one was supposed to receive 1000 HH points ( which never arrived). In the evening I expected turn down to come in and remove the rubbish and towels. They didn’t. The girl was in front of my door when I was leaving for the lounge so I asked her why she ignored my room, she said I was not on her list and even refused to give me a small bottle of water. As I passed reception the front of house manager was there and I asked her why my room wasn’t on the list, I had the suite. She said that’s because you refused housekeeping in the morning so they don’t service all day. Bit extreme in my view, I didn’t want her to clean my room, make the bed ect. So they can stuff their turndown in my opinion, like others I find it an intrusion.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 3:34 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Hyatt Privé, Impresario, Four Seasons, Marriott Stars, Kempinski, Accor STEP, SLH, IHG,etc
I do appreciate having trash taken away and water bottles replenished. The odd piece of chocolate is very welcome too. The only thing that bugs me is when they draw the curtains when it's still early and the sun is still shining.
the810 likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 4:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Winniesbestfriend
I was far from impressed by it when I stayed a couple of weeks ago. After the first night I put the Go Green label outside my door indicating I didn’t want housekeeping to clean my room, felt a bit silly after only being in it for a couple of hours. As a thank you one was supposed to receive 1000 HH points ( which never arrived). In the evening I expected turn down to come in and remove the rubbish and towels. They didn’t. The girl was in front of my door when I was leaving for the lounge so I asked her why she ignored my room, she said I was not on her list and even refused to give me a small bottle of water. As I passed reception the front of house manager was there and I asked her why my room wasn’t on the list, I had the suite. She said that’s because you refused housekeeping in the morning so they don’t service all day. Bit extreme in my view, I didn’t want her to clean my room, make the bed ect. So they can stuff their turndown in my opinion, like others I find it an intrusion.
It seems somewhat counter intuitive to expect turndown service if you’ve said you don’t want housekeeping. I don’t think no morning service, but some evening service is a thing.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 5:40 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
It seems somewhat counter intuitive to expect turndown service if you’ve said you don’t want housekeeping. I don’t think no morning service, but some evening service is a thing.
FWIW, that is exactly what I would expect as well when turning down housekeeping.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 5:40 am

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
Complete and utter waste of time, just as daily replacement of towels is. Do you replace towels daily at home? No, neither do I, so why expect it at a sodding hotel?

I will usually place the do not disturb sign outside the door as first course of action. I can make my own bed, and if I need water (the kind that's free of charge), I'll liberate one from cleaners trolley or call reception and have one delivered. In the rare cases where I feel my room needs a bit of tidying, I'll remove the do not disturb sign and expect the room to be cleaned during the day when I'm not here. But having someone drop by in the evening for turn-down service? Nah, my ego is not big enough to find that prudent, and it's certainly not necessary. A complete waste of time, designed to stroke the over-inflated ego of some guests if you ask me.
bse118 and :D! like this.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 6:27 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by Sheikh Yerbooty
Nah, my ego is not big enough to find that prudent, and it's certainly not necessary. A complete waste of time, designed to stroke the over-inflated ego of some guests if you ask me.
I fail to see what does turndown service have to do with ego. It's about convenience which is what full service hotels are charging extra for (otherwise we might as well be staying at Airbnb instead). Personally I couldn't care less about turndown service, but I can see what the value may be for people who use the bed during the day and want to have it made for the night, or who are keen to only drink bottled water (for whatever reason).
​​​​​
simonsmith, smmrfld, wizla and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Sheikh Yerbooty
Complete and utter waste of time, just as daily replacement of towels is. Do you replace towels daily at home? No, neither do I, so why expect it at a sodding hotel?

I will usually place the do not disturb sign outside the door as first course of action. I can make my own bed, and if I need water (the kind that's free of charge), I'll liberate one from cleaners trolley or call reception and have one delivered. In the rare cases where I feel my room needs a bit of tidying, I'll remove the do not disturb sign and expect the room to be cleaned during the day when I'm not here. But having someone drop by in the evening for turn-down service? Nah, my ego is not big enough to find that prudent, and it's certainly not necessary. A complete waste of time, designed to stroke the over-inflated ego of some guests if you ask me.
Are there any upsides to a hotel over an AirBnB then? Why not save your money with an apartment with no services?
simonsmith and the810 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.