Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Ka La'i Waikiki Beach, LXR Hotels & Resorts {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2023, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...d?srnd=premium

The owner of the Trump International Hotel Waikiki is rebranding the property, buying out a licensing agreement with the former US president’s company and joining Hilton Worldwide Holdings Inc.’s system.

The conversion of the property, which has 462 guest rooms and suites, will take place in February, according to a statement Friday. The Hawaii hotel isn’t the first to ditch the Trump brand. Properties in New York, Toronto and Panama City have all rebranded in the years since Donald Trump launched his political career.
I can't say I'm too surprised by this development. 👀😯
Old Nov 10, 2023, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Real estate firm Irongate is renaming its hotel Wakea Waikiki Beach and will operate under LXR Hotels & Resorts, a brand that allows hotels to access Hilton’s loyalty and distribution engines while …”

(that’s where the pay wall kicked in)
Old Nov 10, 2023, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Real estate firm Irongate is renaming its hotel Wakea Waikiki Beach and will operate under LXR Hotels & Resorts, a brand that allows hotels to access Hilton’s loyalty and distribution engines while …”

(that’s where the pay wall kicked in)
FT rules prevent me from posting the article in its entirety.

I have a subscription to Bloomberg so I can read the whole article.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 11:21 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
I had a hunch that the forthcoming LXR would be either the Hālekulani [same owner as the forthcoming Waldorf Astoria Nihonbashi in Tokyo] or the Tr_mp hotel, and while a part of me is bummed they didn’t get the beachfront property, this one is satisfying in its own ways.

Hilton published their own press release announcing the property here; it joins LXR/Hilton in February and will begin a total renovation in early 2025 that will take place over several months and touch all interior spaces and outdoor landscaping, as well as reposition the main restaurant under an unnamed international restauranteur.

Good stuff - brung on Wākea Waikiki Beach!

khabah
Old Nov 11, 2023, 2:41 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by lsquare
FT rules prevent me from posting the article in its entirety.

I have a subscription to Bloomberg so I can read the whole article.
Congratulations.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 3:57 am

Makes enough sense. Interesting that the buyout on the current brand was reasonable, or at least economically feasible - given the way that organization operates, I'd presume that they would have written highly restrictive terms to maintain total control. Though (not a lawyer) I suppose the property could pursue legal routes to debrand if they could demonstrate material damages due to the current branding.
lsquare and FabCW like this.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 7:21 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Interestingly, the formal DC post office building also rebranded and joined the hilton as a WA.
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Makes enough sense. Interesting that the buyout on the current brand was reasonable, or at least economically feasible - given the way that organization operates, I'd presume that they would have written highly restrictive terms to maintain total control. Though (not a lawyer) I suppose the property could pursue legal routes to debrand if they could demonstrate material damages due to the current branding.
Originally Posted by mediator
Interestingly, the formal DC post office building also rebranded and joined the hilton as a WA.
Trump has become a very toxic brand. The general population, especially foreigners, doesn't view the brand favorably. Trump's hotel in Vancouver, Canada was also re-flagged.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 8:12 am

I was hoping Hālekulani, seems in better condition and is ocean front. But anyway having a new Hilton luxury property in Waikiki is always good
dlaue likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 8:15 am

Trump has become a very toxic brand. The general population, especially foreigners, doesn't view the brand favorably. Trump's hotel in Vancouver, Canada was also re-flagged.
Indeed. But my point / surprise was simply that the branding agreements have allowed operators to exit with seeming ease. Though then again, if the organization is cash-constrained, perhaps they are glad to take a one-time buyout...
formeraa likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 9:00 am

Interesting. I've had nothing but good experiences with LXR hotels.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
That one is extra amusing because it was Trump-flagged for all of what, 6 months or so?
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 10:21 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by Smiley90
That one is extra amusing because it was Trump-flagged for all of what, 6 months or so?
No. It has been a Trump hotel for several years...perhaps since it was built.

EDIT: from Wikipedia ---> In July 2006, demolition of the Royal Islander and Reef Lanai hotels made room for Trump Waikiki. On November 10, 2006, almost three full years before completion, all 462 units were pre-sold in one day for a total of $700 million, or $1.5 million on average. The building opened on November 1, 2009, and by February 2010, 361 of the hotel-condominium's 462 units were still vacant due to "an internal matter with the financing of the building."

What makes it a bit amusing is that the Trump sign on the entrance to the building is placed high so as to be nearly unreadable. And the sign on Kalia Road, which can be read when passing by, is very small.

Recent Trump reflags:

Trump Toronto became St. Regis Toronto
Trump Panama became JW Panama
Trump Washing DC became Waldorf Astoria
Trump Vancouver became Paradox Hotel

Last edited by dlaue; Nov 11, 2023 at 10:47 am
Old Nov 11, 2023, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by dlaue
No. It has been a Trump hotel for several years...perhaps since it was built.

EDIT: from Wikipedia ---> In July 2006, demolition of the Royal Islander and Reef Lanai hotels made room for Trump Waikiki. On November 10, 2006, almost three full years before completion, all 462 units were pre-sold in one day for a total of $700 million, or $1.5 million on average. The building opened on November 1, 2009, and by February 2010, 361 of the hotel-condominium's 462 units were still vacant due to "an internal matter with the financing of the building."

What makes it a bit amusing is that the Trump sign on the entrance to the building is placed high so as to be nearly unreadable. And the sign on Kalia Road, which can be read when passing by, is very small.

Recent Trump reflags:

Trump Toronto became St. Regis Toronto
Trump Panama became JW Panama
Trump Washing DC became Waldorf Astoria
Trump Vancouver became Paradox Hotel
I was referring to the Trump Vancouver, which was VERY short-lived as a Trump-branded hotel. It's basically brand-new and near-immediately reflagged.
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by khabah
I had a hunch that the forthcoming LXR would be either the Hālekulani [same owner as the forthcoming Waldorf Astoria Nihonbashi in Tokyo] or the Tr_mp hotel, and while a part of me is bummed they didn’t get the beachfront property, this one is satisfying in its own ways.

Hilton published their own press release announcing the property here; it joins LXR/Hilton in February and will begin a total renovation in early 2025 that will take place over several months and touch all interior spaces and outdoor landscaping, as well as reposition the main restaurant under an unnamed international restauranteur.

Good stuff - brung on Wākea Waikiki Beach!

khabah
I expect that the Halekulani has no need nor desire to become part of one of the world's largest marketing programs, no matter which it may be. It is the only luxury beachfront property in Waikiki. Others may charge nearly as much, have more famous buildings or people might think they're luxurious, but they aren't in the same class. I cannot imagine a sea of HH Silvers and Golds demanding the world, let alone the Diamonds demanding the world and then some, at a property where people pay what it costs to get what you desire.

While my typical Waikiki stay (and there have probably been 150+ at this point) are focused on convenience and price, on occasion, a very nice property is in order. And the HH selections to date have not inspired me in the least. In fact, I was so impressed with the HHV in 1989 that I've never returned.
jalves, dmarge18 and Calcifer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.