Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Embassy Suites Limits Receptions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2023, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Embassy Suites Limits Receptions

This may be old, but it is news to me. Business trip companion booked us into an Embassy Suites. The evening reception has been reduced to 1.5 hours from 2, and there is now a 2-drink limit. Wow. More cuts. I convinced my companion to stay at a different hotel that is more convenient and cheaper.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 1:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Mikey
This may be old, but it is news to me. Business trip companion booked us into an Embassy Suites. The evening reception has been reduced to 1.5 hours from 2, and there is now a 2-drink limit. Wow. More cuts. I convinced my companion to stay at a different hotel that is more convenient and cheaper.
Receptions have been greatly reduced in quantity, quality, and frequency since COVID. I haven't seen one this year at any ES. There's a HS I frequent that only has "receptions" one night a week. The food offerings are usually nacho chips and cheese, crudités, and 2-oz pours of Miller Light.
becks1 and hhdl like this.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

That's very disappointing. Embassy suites are pricier than other hotels for a very similar room. The differentiating factor for me was the nightly reception and the good breakfast. Hopefully they at least have the good breakfast but that's not enough to get me to stay there.
becks1 likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 1:45 pm

Programs: Walmart Super Elite
A few years ago one ES gave me two drink vouchers for a one-night stay. Don’t know if they would have doled out more all at once for a multi-night stay.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

I guess it is two tickets per adult staying in the room. Don't know if they care if you use your roommate's tickets if they don't want a drink. But now with all these restrictions, and feeling like I want to get around them, I feel like I am in kindergarten. Back to Hampton. Breakfast is not as good, but it is a lot cheaper and am treated as an adult.
FMDXR likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Depends on the ES, but this has been true for at least a year now. There are some ES that still have unlimited drinks, but i am leery of naming them to avoid any Corp pressure on them.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 3:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
It's been years since I've been in an Embassy that had a reception that was good enough to care about. Some are 2 drink tickets, some are theoretically unlimited, but it's been absolute crap wine and beer for years so to me it hardly matters.

10 years ago, you'd occasionally get ES that had a good local beer on tap plus hot food. Now it's chips, ballpark nacho cheez, and pretzels.

I still like ES when we're traveling with kids, but only if it's cheaper than other suite brands that can sleep 4 comfortably.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 3:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by pinniped
It's been years since I've been in an Embassy that had a reception that was good enough to care about. Some are 2 drink tickets, some are theoretically unlimited, but it's been absolute crap wine and beer for years so to me it hardly matters.

10 years ago, you'd occasionally get ES that had a good local beer on tap plus hot food. Now it's chips, ballpark nacho cheez, and pretzels.

I still like ES when we're traveling with kids, but only if it's cheaper than other suite brands that can sleep 4 comfortably.
Truth. We prefer Homewoods now. Less open atriums (insane echo chambers) and better breakfasts.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 3:39 pm

This has been the case at the ES locations that I know of for quite some time now. Independent of that, at some point in my life (maybe I...matured?!), I came to see the ES reception as more of a nuisance than an upside. My mental image of this has coalesced through experience to basically being one of hundreds of youth sports participants running around throwing tortilla chips everywhere while the dads guzzle gallons of light beer. No thanks!
BearX220, jreichel, dlaue and 5 others like this.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Well I have not had the "sporting" experience you have had, and if I did, I would find it annoying as heck as well. This whole reduction in reception time and beverages is new to me, as I have not stayed at ES in a long time.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 5:58 pm

The last ES I stayed at had some really pathetic swill available for the “managers reception”. We ended up going to their pool side bar and paying for drinks. The breakfast was a freaking zoo.
that ship has sailed for me
BearX220 and DASRTR like this.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by aww3583 (Post # 2)
There's a HS I frequent that only has "receptions" one night a week. The food offerings are usually nacho chips and cheese, crudités, and 2-oz pours of Miller Light.
Apparently very good at generating foam.
ChinaShrek likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 6:24 pm

I generally have a good experience w ES for business travel during the week. The summer, however, is worse and I’ll avoid them all together.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 6:29 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by arlflyer
This has been the case at the ES locations that I know of for quite some time now. Independent of that, at some point in my life (maybe I...matured?!), I came to see the ES reception as more of a nuisance than an upside. My mental image of this has coalesced through experience to basically being one of hundreds of youth sports participants running around throwing tortilla chips everywhere while the dads guzzle gallons of light beer. No thanks!
You just described my last stay at an ES in Charleston WV.

Avoid them in the summer, weekends, spring breaks, fall breaks at all costs.

The manager reception has been swill for the past few decades.
arlflyer and hhdl like this.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by aww3583
Receptions have been greatly reduced in quantity, quality, and frequency since COVID. I haven't seen one this year at any ES. There's a HS I frequent that only has "receptions" one night a week. The food offerings are usually nacho chips and cheese, crudités, and 2-oz pours of Miller Light.
From what I hear, most HS only have their evening event one day a week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.