Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Arrivals list printout left in view on desk (should I be as bothered as I am?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2023, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC

Trying to decide if (how) annoyed I should be:

Arrived at a hotel in Illinois early and there wasn't an FDA behind the desk but there was, on top of the desk and in plain view to the public, a print out of the arrivals list -- including guest names, reservation source (central reservations, direct, etc.), amount due/paid and notes ("COMP UG TO STUDIO PER (Initials)" on one).

FDA came to the desk went through the routine -- couldn't get me into a room because none were available (perfectly understandable given I was way before check-in time) but to come back in about 90 minutes... Came back and the arrivals list was in the same place. The FDA also read out my room number out loud. (They did verify my photo ID so at least there's some awareness)

I'm not impressed by the level of privacy awareness but am I unreasonable to be bothered by these things? I don't think I'm worth anyone finding me and murdering me but it still kind of creeps me out that it wasn't protected at all -- if I had a stalker or wanted to cause trouble ("Hi, Ms. Jones, this is the front desk calling, there's a problem with your Expedia reservation...can you confirm your credit card number for the $123.45 charge? And the billing zip code?") that would be a treasure trove of info in the wrong hands.
SPN Lifer and RK23 like this.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 1:30 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Poor form on the front desk team. I wouldn't be alarmed personally, but I'd do my good deed for the day and send a brief note to the GM.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by work2fly
Poor form on the front desk team. I wouldn't be alarmed personally, but I'd do my good deed for the day and send a brief note to the GM.
Agreed not losing sleep over this.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I probably would have very nicely mentioned to the FDA that it wasn't a good idea to have that out for all to see and then if they didn't do anything or were not nice in their reply contacted the GM later that day.
Sisosig and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 3:24 pm

Programs: HH D
The only one time I've noticed this, I was on top of that list . I was greeted by name that day at the restaurant, this normally never happens to me.

I think you may be worried more about how much google etc. know about you without anyone noticing and how much of that information is shared with certain authorities..
Old Sep 16, 2023, 4:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Happens on 5%-10% of my stays.

I’d say verbally communicating your room number is a bigger faux pas.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 4:47 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Gold, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Front desk training seems to be non-existent. When I worked at Hyatt decades back, we were trained to first greet the guest, SHOW the guest the rate and have them initial it (but NOT say it out loud), mention to them the type of room booked, confirm the checkout date, and get credit for the stay. We only pointed to the room number on the little cardboard passport that Hyatt used to give at checkin. At checkout we presented them with a copy of the folio for them to review, asked them how they would be paying (in those days, some people preferred to switch to cash at checkout), and thanked them for choosing Hyatt. There were other parts to the spiel, but those were the basics.

Today, the sullen agent finally walks up from the back, looks blankly in your direction and says, "Name?" "Sign here." "One key or two?" (That's optional). Expression never changes. Checkout is, "You're all set." No review of the bill, no "How was your stay?", nothing.

So, I'd say you were lucky you weren't greeted with a sign above the arrivals list that said, "Find your name and room number below, and fish your key out of the basket at the end of the desk."
Old Sep 16, 2023, 7:51 pm

I see this occasionally. NBD.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2023, 5:12 am

a name and booking source does not give anyone personal details about you - if it had your address and financial details then yes a security risk.
BigFishDave likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2023, 8:38 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Not sure how many of the OP’s are women vs men. But as a woman, I’d be pissed and worried. I would absolutely mention it. I don’t want anyone to know I’m a single woman in a room.
Old Sep 17, 2023, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
With that level of concern about privacy and security demonstrated by the front desk, I wouldn’t be shocked if you could walk up later and ask for a new keycard (for a room that you don’t actually occupy, but know the occupant’s name) without having to show ID.
lincolnjkc, FlyingCow and Redhead like this.
Old Sep 17, 2023, 10:50 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I'd actually be more interested in the other info on the sheet besides the personal stuff, like how many rooms were booked through what channels, what the status mix of the guests was, what my rate was compared to others, and how many upgrades were showing. What Hilton brand was this?

Calling out the room number is a big no-no. I can't remember the last time that happened to me.
Old Sep 17, 2023, 11:21 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Marriott Gold
I’m in my late fifties and literally no FDA has ever said my room number out loud.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2023, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Stripe
I'd actually be more interested in the other info on the sheet besides the personal stuff, like how many rooms were booked through what channels, what the status mix of the guests was, what my rate was compared to others, and how many upgrades were showing. What Hilton brand was this?

Calling out the room number is a big no-no. I can't remember the last time that happened to me.
It's a (relatively new) Hampton. From what I could process, reading it upside down and without overtly oogling the sheet seemed that "CENTRAL RESERVATIONS" was the most common booking source. I didn't immediately note a status field/column (but it seems this property is popular for wedding parties so its entirely possible that no one on that page had status...)

Last time I had the name said out loud was ~2018 and it was a shithole no-brand airport hotel in Beijing (who also had the room number written in sharpie on the keycard and then covered with tape so it couldn't be rubbed off "accidentally") but screaming my room number to the lobby was the least of that hotel's security issues (it is the only hotel I've ever piled my luggage and loose room furniture against the door before I went to sleep... partially because the door had no deadbolt/privacy chain, etc.)

The time before that (2010?) at a Hilton the FOM overheard the new FDA's faux paus and immediately offered a different room while apologizing and explaining to the FDA why that isn't done.
notquiteaff and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 9:12 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Stripe
Assuming that since the property is newer they are probably using PEP as their PMS, note that the arrivals list does not summarize HH information or anything regarding upgrades. If an upgrade is auto generated by HH, there will be a note on the report by the reservation that says Auto Upgrade Awarded that is system generated but if desk agent X upgrades someone, they could leave a note they upgraded the reservation that would show or they could do nothing and you would have no idea looking at the list.

Originally Posted by hotturnip
Front desk training seems to be non-existent. When I worked at Hyatt decades back, we were trained to first greet the guest, SHOW the guest the rate and have them initial it (but NOT say it out loud), mention to them the type of room booked, confirm the checkout date, and get credit for the stay. We only pointed to the room number on the little cardboard passport that Hyatt used to give at checkin. At checkout we presented them with a copy of the folio for them to review, asked them how they would be paying (in those days, some people preferred to switch to cash at checkout), and thanked them for choosing Hyatt. There were other parts to the spiel, but those were the basics.
Desk training today is very different. Yes, everyone has to go through training due to it being a brand requirement, but the big difference is that back in the day you would do most or all of your training/role playing/etc. before you are put at the desk in front of the travelling public. Now it's very common to be put in front of the public from the beginning on day one and to get your computer modules done "whenever you can". As long as all training is done before the next QA (yes, this is checked every QA since there are a few annual modules that need to be done) no one cares.

The rest of what you said obviously doesn't apply due to the push from the top down to make the entire check in/out process as fast, paperless, digital and non-human as possible.

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Trying to decide if (how) annoyed I should be:

Arrived at a hotel in Illinois early and there wasn't an FDA behind the desk but there was, on top of the desk and in plain view to the public, a print out of the arrivals list -- including guest names, reservation source (central reservations, direct, etc.), amount due/paid and notes ("COMP UG TO STUDIO PER (Initials)" on one).

FDA came to the desk went through the routine -- couldn't get me into a room because none were available (perfectly understandable given I was way before check-in time) but to come back in about 90 minutes... Came back and the arrivals list was in the same place. The FDA also read out my room number out loud. (They did verify my photo ID so at least there's some awareness)

I'm not impressed by the level of privacy awareness but am I unreasonable to be bothered by these things? I don't think I'm worth anyone finding me and murdering me but it still kind of creeps me out that it wasn't protected at all -- if I had a stalker or wanted to cause trouble ("Hi, Ms. Jones, this is the front desk calling, there's a problem with your Expedia reservation...can you confirm your credit card number for the $123.45 charge? And the billing zip code?") that would be a treasure trove of info in the wrong hands.
The reading of the room number out loud is obviously a big no-no. That's a basic day one, training module one thing and a big deal. The arrivals list thing can be a big deal because it would have your name on it and if your room has been blocked by the property, your room number. Caveat Emptor as to how much that matters to you or not.
lincolnjkc and SPN Lifer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.