Wiki Posts
Search

Gifting diamond T&Cs

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2023, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Gifting diamond T&Cs

Afternoon all, I gifted my wife Diamond status for this year but she has now been downgraded to Silver. Asking for an explanation, we have been told that there are conditions attached to this, in that she had to stay 1 night within 90 days of activating this gift. Given we weren’t aware of this, she didn’t, hence their downgrading.

I’ve never known there to be any conditions attached to gifting in previous years and can’t seem to find it in the T&Cs.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Old Apr 10, 2023, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by RetiringSoon
Afternoon all, I gifted my wife Diamond status for this year but she has now been downgraded to Silver. Asking for an explanation, we have been told that there are conditions attached to this, in that she had to stay 1 night within 90 days of activating this gift. Given we weren’t aware of this, she didn’t, hence their downgrading.

I’ve never known there to be any conditions attached to gifting in previous years and can’t seem to find it in the T&Cs.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Seems like you were told wrong: https://www.hilton.com/en/hilton-hon...ed%20status%3F
Old Apr 10, 2023, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Thanks, that’s where is was looking and saw nothing to suggest this was a requirement.

I suspect they thought it was a Diamond status challenge.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 11:52 am

HUACA.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smmrfld
HUACA.

Sorry, I have no clue what that means.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL PLT, 1MM,PC Plat,HH Diamond,SkyClub, member All programs
Sorry, I have no clue what that means.
I'm pretty sure it's Hang Up And Call Again. I've been picking things up from the kids I work with.
Brandinho1 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

I’d had never guessed that lol

I was on a chat session with HH and they said my wife had to chat via her account. Guess what? They told her I had to do it.

They really know how to press my buttons!
Sisosig likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 12:57 pm

I’d had never guessed that lol

I was on a chat session with HH and they said my wife had to chat via her account. Guess what? They told her I had to do it.

They really know how to press my buttons!
Never use phone or chat for these issues. DM via Twitter is consistently more efficient IME.
cblaisd and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, HH LT <>, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
That link states 2022 requirements for status gifting. The 2023 requirements are 60 for gold gifting and 100 for diamond.

Jim
Old Apr 10, 2023, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Cheers, we appear to have made some progress. From their records, they have no visibility of the gifting code being redeemed, hence the downgrade.

I kept chasing my wife to do it, so I was there when she did it and saw the confirmation, so we’re not sure what’s happened. It’s now under investigation.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by jimquan
That link states 2022 requirements for status gifting. The 2023 requirements are 60 for gold gifting and 100 for diamond.

Jim

Ok. And?

The paragraph that I linked to says that the gifted status is good for 365 days. That has been the case since they launched this benefit, and has nothing to do with what year it is or how many nights you need in order to be able to *give* the gift.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Cheers, we appear to have made some progress. From their records, they have no visibility of the gifting code being redeemed, hence the downgrade.

I kept chasing my wife to do it, so I was there when she did it and saw the confirmation, so we’re not sure what’s happened. It’s now under investigation.
If the code wasn't redeemed, wouldn't it be easier to have her just redeem it (again)? That would also extend her status to 365 days from the later redemption.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sethb
If the code wasn't redeemed, wouldn't it be easier to have her just redeem it (again)? That would also extend her status to 365 days from the later redemption.
It had to redeemed by the 31st of January.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 4:22 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1MM
Was your wife already diamond status when she applied the gift code? if so, that might be why the gifted status did not go through. Note I only have empirical information on that, based on what happened to me. I had diamond status last year, but had not earned nights to be diamond status this year. My spouse had enough nights to gift me that status, however. He sent me a confirmation code last November; I clicked on it right away. The confirmation screen claimed that I would have that status for 365 days from the date my spouse redeemed the gift status opportunity. I received emails this March that I was going to lose my status however. I called and hung up several times to try to resolve the situation. I struggled to get the people whom I spoke with to understand. One said that the gift status I received in November 2022 was only for the year 2022. The only way I was able to resolve it was that because I actually have had 20 nights in Hilton properties this year, they treated it like a status match; the last supervisor just said that she would put it in for the next year on the basis of completing a status match. That probably won’t help your situation unfortunately but you could keep trying to hang up and call back.

The reason I suspect that my issue was because I already had diamond status, is because that is similar to the situation when gifting Delta airline elite status. With Delta, when I achieve a tier level during the year, I can gift elite status to somebody else. I am unable to gift the status to someone who already has that status though. So perhaps Hilton has the same limitation but the interface isn’t programmed to alert you to the situation.

Last edited by JojaFlyer; Apr 11, 2023 at 4:28 am
Old Apr 11, 2023, 5:31 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
It had to redeemed by the 31st of January.
This is also what I understood, at least to give HH G.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.