Gifting diamond T&Cs

Old Apr 10, 2023, 12:20 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Glasgow
Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Posts: 53
Gifting diamond T&Cs

Afternoon all, I gifted my wife Diamond status for this year but she has now been downgraded to Silver. Asking for an explanation, we have been told that there are conditions attached to this, in that she had to stay 1 night within 90 days of activating this gift. Given we werent aware of this, she didnt, hence their downgrading.

Ive never known there to be any conditions attached to gifting in previous years and cant seem to find it in the T&Cs.

Has anyone else experienced this?
RetiringSoon is offline  
Old Apr 10, 2023, 12:32 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,870
Originally Posted by RetiringSoon
Afternoon all, I gifted my wife Diamond status for this year but she has now been downgraded to Silver. Asking for an explanation, we have been told that there are conditions attached to this, in that she had to stay 1 night within 90 days of activating this gift. Given we werent aware of this, she didnt, hence their downgrading.

Ive never known there to be any conditions attached to gifting in previous years and cant seem to find it in the T&Cs.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Seems like you were told wrong: https://www.hilton.com/en/hilton-hon...ed%20status%3F
Qwkynuf is offline  
Old Apr 10, 2023, 12:51 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Glasgow
Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Posts: 53
Thanks, that’s where is was looking and saw nothing to suggest this was a requirement.

I suspect they thought it was a Diamond status challenge.
RetiringSoon is offline  
Old Apr 10, 2023, 12:52 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,817
HUACA.
smmrfld is offline  
Old Apr 10, 2023, 12:55 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Glasgow
Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Posts: 53
Originally Posted by smmrfld
HUACA.

Sorry, I have no clue what that means.
RetiringSoon is offline  
Old Apr 10, 2023, 1:06 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: MKE
Programs: DL PLT, 1MM,PC Plat,HH Diamond,SkyClub, member All programs
Posts: 182
Originally Posted by RetiringSoon
Sorry, I have no clue what that means.
I'm pretty sure it's Hang Up And Call Again. I've been picking things up from the kids I work with.
Brandinho1 likes this.
BigFishDave is offline  
Old Apr 10, 2023, 1:10 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Glasgow
Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Posts: 53
I’d had never guessed that lol

I was on a chat session with HH and they said my wife had to chat via her account. Guess what? They told her I had to do it.

They really know how to press my buttons!
Sisosig likes this.
RetiringSoon is offline  
Old Apr 10, 2023, 1:57 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,817
Originally Posted by RetiringSoon
Id had never guessed that lol

I was on a chat session with HH and they said my wife had to chat via her account. Guess what? They told her I had to do it.

They really know how to press my buttons!
Never use phone or chat for these issues. DM via Twitter is consistently more efficient IME.
cblaisd and SPN Lifer like this.
smmrfld is offline  
Old Apr 10, 2023, 2:15 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Programs: DL 2MM/PM, HH LT <>, Amex Plat
Posts: 1,283
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
That link states 2022 requirements for status gifting. The 2023 requirements are 60 for gold gifting and 100 for diamond.

Jim
jimquan is offline  
Old Apr 10, 2023, 2:15 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Glasgow
Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Posts: 53
Cheers, we appear to have made some progress. From their records, they have no visibility of the gifting code being redeemed, hence the downgrade.

I kept chasing my wife to do it, so I was there when she did it and saw the confirmation, so we’re not sure what’s happened. It’s now under investigation.
RetiringSoon is offline  
Old Apr 10, 2023, 2:22 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,870
Originally Posted by jimquan
That link states 2022 requirements for status gifting. The 2023 requirements are 60 for gold gifting and 100 for diamond.

Jim

Ok. And?

The paragraph that I linked to says that the gifted status is good for 365 days. That has been the case since they launched this benefit, and has nothing to do with what year it is or how many nights you need in order to be able to *give* the gift.
Qwkynuf is offline  
Old Apr 11, 2023, 1:14 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: MSP
Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Posts: 12,152
Originally Posted by RetiringSoon
Cheers, we appear to have made some progress. From their records, they have no visibility of the gifting code being redeemed, hence the downgrade.

I kept chasing my wife to do it, so I was there when she did it and saw the confirmation, so were not sure whats happened. Its now under investigation.
If the code wasn't redeemed, wouldn't it be easier to have her just redeem it (again)? That would also extend her status to 365 days from the later redemption.
sethb is offline  
Old Apr 11, 2023, 3:54 am
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Glasgow
Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Posts: 53
Originally Posted by sethb
If the code wasn't redeemed, wouldn't it be easier to have her just redeem it (again)? That would also extend her status to 365 days from the later redemption.
It had to redeemed by the 31st of January.
RetiringSoon is offline  
Old Apr 11, 2023, 5:22 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: ATL
Programs: DL Platinum, 1MM
Posts: 65
Was your wife already diamond status when she applied the gift code? if so, that might be why the gifted status did not go through. Note I only have empirical information on that, based on what happened to me. I had diamond status last year, but had not earned nights to be diamond status this year. My spouse had enough nights to gift me that status, however. He sent me a confirmation code last November; I clicked on it right away. The confirmation screen claimed that I would have that status for 365 days from the date my spouse redeemed the gift status opportunity. I received emails this March that I was going to lose my status however. I called and hung up several times to try to resolve the situation. I struggled to get the people whom I spoke with to understand. One said that the gift status I received in November 2022 was only for the year 2022. The only way I was able to resolve it was that because I actually have had 20 nights in Hilton properties this year, they treated it like a status match; the last supervisor just said that she would put it in for the next year on the basis of completing a status match. That probably won’t help your situation unfortunately but you could keep trying to hang up and call back.

The reason I suspect that my issue was because I already had diamond status, is because that is similar to the situation when gifting Delta airline elite status. With Delta, when I achieve a tier level during the year, I can gift elite status to somebody else. I am unable to gift the status to someone who already has that status though. So perhaps Hilton has the same limitation but the interface isn’t programmed to alert you to the situation.

Last edited by JojaFlyer; Apr 11, 2023 at 5:28 am
JojaFlyer is offline  
Old Apr 11, 2023, 6:31 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Posts: 5,038
Originally Posted by RetiringSoon
It had to redeemed by the 31st of January.
This is also what I understood, at least to give HH G.
more4less is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.