Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hang it up on Hilton or IHG?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2023, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
I fully realize you can keep at least mid level status with their respective cobrand cc's. But I'd rather concentrate cc earn on one or the other. Diluting spend between two or more programs gets you diddly in any of them.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 2:25 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
In a dozen domestic U.S. trips over the last couple of years (non-aspirational), I found the Holiday Inn Express properties to be better maintained, cleaner and usually 15 to 20K points per night versus similar Hampton Inn properties that usually wanted twice that. I also find the HIX breakfast substantially better than the Hampton's.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
I fully realize you can keep at least mid level status with their respective cobrand cc's. But I'd rather concentrate cc earn on one or the other. Diluting spend between two or more programs gets you diddly in any of them.
Neither my IHG Select nor my Aspire are used very much for spend, unless there is a promo. Even IHG hotel spend goes on the CSR. Hilton mostly goes on the Aspire, but for other categories I have usually better options. So the cards aren’t a great source of points.
COLINDAD likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Neither my IHG Select nor my Aspire are used very much for spend, unless there is a promo. Even IHG hotel spend goes on the CSR. Hilton mostly goes on the Aspire, but for other categories I have usually better options. So the cards aren’t a great source of points.
I do have the CSP (so great for IHG) but other than dining, it's bonus categories suck for everyday use.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
I do have the CSP (so great for IHG) but other than dining, it's bonus categories suck for everyday use.
I think you could probably find better cards to match your spend pattern.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 12:07 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
I went through this exact dilemma about 15 years ago and went with Hilton, primarily due to the footprint of my travel at the time. Also the vagaries of qualifying for Royal Ambassador were vexing. FWIW my decision was validated by the addition of lifetime Diamond status in the years since (did i say FWIW? )

The only time I really regret the decision is when in Paris as the IC there is really nice.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 10:23 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis Pref, DL Silver, National EE
I've been Diamond with both since 2019, all through actual stays and no status achieved by credit card. Over 90% of my stays are paid for by work and I call on tons of out of the way places, all in the USA. There's almost always a Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express nearby. My current strategy is to stay more nights at Hilton and when I do stay with IHG, the max additional points are purchased. It's gonna be close this year but hope to get status again for both. Even if I don't get Diamond again, the footprint of using both works best for me.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 6:05 pm

I personally prefer to keep both.

If I have a 3 night stay I will try and focus more on IHG since I get 4th night free, giving me an unlimited late check out (usually leave 7-8pm if its driving distance). If I am staying 4 nights I look for Hilton/Marriott.

The cards pay for themselves with their benefits, so IMO, keep both. You are probably getting your money's worth. If not, drop to the free card dont cancel. You still get some benefits with no fee
Old Feb 28, 2023, 9:46 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by cblaisd
In a dozen domestic U.S. trips over the last couple of years (non-aspirational), I found the Holiday Inn Express properties to be better maintained, cleaner and usually 15 to 20K points per night versus similar Hampton Inn properties that usually wanted twice that. I also find the HIX breakfast substantially better than the Hampton's.
Similar experience for me. HIX properties seem to have come out of COVID feeling fresher and with more energy. I also find better consistency of bed comfort and shower quality at HIX. I still think Hampton is a very solid brand, and if Hampton was equal in cost to HIX, I may well select it, but when Hampton costs more than HIX, the decision is clear: HIX.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 7:45 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by storewanderer
Similar experience for me. HIX properties seem to have come out of COVID feeling fresher and with more energy. I also find better consistency of bed comfort and shower quality at HIX. I still think Hampton is a very solid brand, and if Hampton was equal in cost to HIX, I may well select it, but when Hampton costs more than HIX, the decision is clear: HIX.
While I agree that HIX=HI (more or less), personally I find IHG generally lacking in the level above HIX until you get to the Kimptons. JMO.
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 8:48 am

Programs: DL Gold, HHDiamond, IHG Plat Regular Joe Everywhere Else
I have Diamond status with Hilton and just acquired Platinum at IHG through a promotion. I have the Hilton AMEX Aspire but do not have any IHG branded credit cards. You may be closer to lifetime diamond with Hilton than you think. All spending on the AMEX last year and this year count as base points in addition to your base points earned on stays. 2 million base points plus 10 years diamond gives you lifetime status.

Aside from that, the $250 airline credit on the Aspire and free night cert. are worth keeping the card in my opinion.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 9:54 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Dracarys
Aside from that, the $250 airline credit on the Aspire and free night cert. are worth keeping the card in my opinion.
That and the $250 free resort credit leave me money ahead. In recent years, I've become a fan of Waldorf Astoria Pedegral in Cabo. I use my free night cert and I eat at their excellent restaurant El Farallon using the $250 credit. I get back more than I pay in my annual fee for the card.
SPN Lifer and Dracarys like this.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 12:09 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HHDiamond, IHG Plat Regular Joe Everywhere Else
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
That and the $250 free resort credit leave me money ahead. In recent years, I've become a fan of Waldorf Astoria Pedegral in Cabo. I use my free night cert and I eat at their excellent restaurant El Farallon using the $250 credit. I get back more than I pay in my annual fee for the card.
I do not stay at resorts very often, but this is a valid point and definitely worth mentioning.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by time_stamp
Both of these programs are easy to keep top status for the price of a single stay. Hilton Aspire will pay for itself with one resort stay. IHG you can get Diamond Ambassador for $200 which gives you BOGO for an Intercontinental weekend stay. I'm not loyal to either, but it's relatively cheap to have status in both.
This is what I do as well. These are my tertiary and quaternary chains (3rd and 4th) behind Hyatt and Marriott. I keep them both (Diamond at both, incl Ambassador at IHG). I tend to use Hilton more (due to footprint). If I was forced to choose I'd choose Hilton, although I'd miss Intercontinental. But other than IC, the lower end brands at IHG don't thrill me outside of some spots in Asia/SE Asia. Not sure why OP needs to consolidate. When you're gifted or purchase status no need... keep em both to optimize. The Hilton Aspire card pays for itself. And the IHG card giving 4th night free is lovely as well. Plus I still have the older 10% off points card for a nice double dip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.