Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice Needed - Mileage Run?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2022, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Advice Needed - Mileage Run?

I am HH Gold and only 7 nights away from Diamond. I would need to stay 4 nights before year end as they have a double night bonus. It would cost roughly $750 all in to stay 4 nights. I travel for work maybe 20 nights per year. I am just thinking is it worth it to do a mileage run to earn Diamond. My biggest benefit would be executive lounge access and the 100% bonus points on stays. Need some help on how to think about this! Thanks!
Old Dec 13, 2022, 10:06 am

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by byb747
I am HH Gold and only 7 nights away from Diamond. I would need to stay 4 nights before year end as they have a double night bonus. It would cost roughly $750 all in to stay 4 nights. I travel for work maybe 20 nights per year. I am just thinking is it worth it to do a mileage run to earn Diamond. My biggest benefit would be executive lounge access and the 100% bonus points on stays. Need some help on how to think about this! Thanks!
I would not do it.

The difference in points earned between gold and diamond is 20% (Gold earns 80%, Diamond earns 100%). Let's say you spend $5000 on hotels next year; that's an extra 10000 points, worth maybe $40.
The hotels where you travel may not have an executive lounge. Even if they all do, would you value the lounge at $35 a night (which is what you would be paying with your $750 mattress run)? I would not.

I am assuming that you are not in the United States; if you were, you could get a credit card for $450 that confers Diamond status.
RockyTopGolfer likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2022, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
$750 for 4 nights is a relatively expensive way to earn night credits. I don't think that the difference between Gold and Diamond status is worth that much. (unless you really need a "Diamond year")

Is there nowhere relatively near that is cheap on points? You could take advantage of 5th night free to do a 5-night award stay and get 10 elite nights, 3 of which will roll over to 2023.

Is nights the nearest Diamond threshold? Or are you also in the vicinity on stays or points? Look at those options as well.
Old Dec 13, 2022, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Ok first. thanks for the reply. Second... i need to get my eyes checked as I saw Gold at 50% not 80%. Agreed at 80% makes no sense. Thank you again!

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I live in the NE USA so things are pricey. Will not go forward... will stay at Gold which is fine by me! Thanks for the reply

Last edited by cblaisd; Dec 13, 2022 at 2:56 pm Reason: merged poster's two consecutive posts
Old Dec 13, 2022, 4:18 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
As a diamond, I can't imagine I would ever spend money to upgrade to a diamond.
fwfdan and darthbimmer like this.
Old Dec 13, 2022, 7:28 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HHDiamond, IHG Plat Regular Joe Everywhere Else
I agree OP sounds like Gold is the way to go. Safe travels.
Old Dec 13, 2022, 9:44 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Ok first. thanks for the reply. Second... i need to get my eyes checked as I saw Gold at 50% not 80%. Agreed at 80% makes no sense. Thank you again!

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I live in the NE USA so things are pricey. Will not go forward... will stay at Gold which is fine by me! Thanks for the reply
I agree with others who say don't bother. And you seem to also agree.

But if you decide that you really want it remember Amex Aspire is $450 and gets you Diamond plus other benefits if it is a "Diamond Year" that you want as another poster put it... You will be looked down on by some here (I think it is considered a "cereal box" prize by some) but Diamond is Diamond. I have been Diamond by stays for about four years (covid lower level requirement helped)
RockyTopGolfer likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2022, 10:10 pm
Formerly doc4science

Programs: United Airlines Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fwfdan
I agree with others who say don't bother. And you seem to also agree.

But if you decide that you really want it remember Amex Aspire is $450 and gets you Diamond plus other benefits if it is a "Diamond Year" that you want as another poster put it... You will be looked down on by some here (I think it is considered a "cereal box" prize by some) but Diamond is Diamond. I have been Diamond by stays for about four years (covid lower level requirement helped)
It is also quite easy to break even on the AF with the credits the card offers. $250 Airline Fee Credit + Free Night should take care of the annual fee
birdiedouble and Eujeanie like this.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by doc4science
It is also quite easy to break even on the AF with the credits the card offers. $250 Airline Fee Credit + Free Night should take care of the annual fee
I have the Aspire card and can attest to it paying for itself easily. I use my FNC's on hotel rooms that cost more than $450 a night. Used 2 of them last summer in Jackson, WY and saved over $1k during peak season.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is one more thing to consider. If you are planning long term and possibility of lifetime Diamond, it takes 10 years of being Diamond (don't have to be consecutive) to qualify.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 2:01 pm

If you are stay 20 nights a year at Hilton you may want to look into the Hilton Aspire either way. Its 450 but you will get 14x on spend, 250 airline incidental credit and a free night. Those benefits alone make it worth the annual fee, especially at 20 nights. Not to mention the resort credit if you ever stay at them. Diamond status would just be the added bonus
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Schnit
If you are stay 20 nights a year at Hilton you may want to look into the Hilton Aspire either way. Its 450 but you will get 14x on spend, 250 airline incidental credit and a free night. Those benefits alone make it worth the annual fee, especially at 20 nights. Not to mention the resort credit if you ever stay at them. Diamond status would just be the added bonus
This card is totally worth it if you decide to get it. I use the $250 incidentals to choose seats on Jetblue mostly after buying the basic fare. The FNC's are usually redeemable at some pretty spectacular properties. Plus automatic Diamond Status.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 3:54 pm

I would either stay gold or get the Aspire card ($450/yr) and be automatic diamond.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.