Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hampton by Hilton Dortmund Phoenix See {DEU}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2022, 6:45 am
:D!
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G

This property opened in early 2018. There was also a Hilton in Dortmund which closed sometime after 2012.

The hotel is actually in Hörde which is some distance from Dortmund city centre. Hörde was historically a separate town, and even went to war with Dortmund in the 1300s. The hotel is next to Hörder Burg (castle) and near an artificial lake, Phoenix See which was created on a former industrial area.

I arrived by train at Dortmund-Hörde station which is about 8 minutes on foot from the hotel entrance, street access only leads to the west side of the platform, so if coming from Dortmund Hbf (as well as Düsseldorf from where there are direct trains), you want to be at the very back of the train. As I was coming from Paderborn, I wanted to be at the front and was also able to avoid Dortmund Hbf which is a pain to interchange at the moment as it is being renovated.

Tram/underground line U41 also runs to the city centre and Hbf in 10 minutes or less; the U-bahn station is only 5 minutes from the hotel. If you are really lazy, you can even take bus 455 one stop from Hörde station to just past the hotel. Route 455 continues to Dortmund Hbf so I tried it out (the bus had free Wifi), obviously the return stop is opposite the hotel. These stops are also served by night bus NE6 to/from the city centre. The hotel car park is €12.50 but several cars were parked on the main road outside, not sure if this was free, there are also public car parks very close by which are probably cheaper.

I chose my room with OLCI. There was no diamond recognition. There was a sticker in the lift saying "digital key works in this lift". Being a European Hampton, the room was exactly the same as the majority of other European Hamptons so there was no point taking photos, they did have a nice armchair. Wifi, aircon and shower were all good.

Breakfast is 0600-1000 weekdays and 0600-1100 weekends. At 0540 the food was already out. I find German Hampton breakfasts to be quite good, much higher quality and more variety than UK Hamptons. In addition to what might typically be found, they had the usual German lye baked goods, a warm vegetable mix and the waffle maker was rectangular; it wasn't too far off a proper Hilton breakfast apart from the lower level of service.

The hotel was quite empty during my stay and was a considerable saving over what Hilton Cologne, Bonn, Mainz and even Düsseldorf wanted for that night, I just had to rejig my travel itinerary slightly. (There's a new Hampton Düsseldorf by the main station which was also cheap, but the plan worked better with Dortmund.)

Old Jul 2, 2022, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Great read. I used to visit a friend in Dortmund every February 1994-2009 and I often arrived via Dortmund hbf. Oh the memories :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.