Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

I'm assuming this is a good use of points....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2022, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Looking to stay at a hotel in Ocean City in July or August (Hilton Oceanside Suites) Rooms are $769 a night (crazy......) but with points its 90k a night. So we are looking to stay for a week and we will get the 5th night free due to Diamond status, so basically 72,000 points per night (360,000) total. Does this seem like a good value. I realize its peak times which is why the prices are probably insane.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Given in that in a search around Huntington Beach CA for tonight I can see a $539/night hotel charging 80k a night for a standard room, it looks like a slightly better value for a $769/night room to be only 90k.

And keep in mind, $769 divided by 3 is $256.33, and 90k divided by 3 is 30k, but it's hard these days to find even a $150 hotel in the Hilton program that's as low as 30k. Hotels that are around $150k tonight in that search are 35k or even a bit more. So by that comparison, only 90k for $769/night isn't bad at all.
howie411 likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 8:18 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Yes, over 1 cent per point is excellent value. Hilton very often sells points for .5 cents per point, so if you look at it that way you are paying half price.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or you could ask yourself if Ocean City is really worth either $769 or 90k points?...and then go almost anywhere else.
sbams and birdiedouble like this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by hfly
Or you could ask yourself if Ocean City is really worth either $769 or 90k points?...and then go almost anywhere else.
This is the relevant question. It's...Ocean City. Factor in the money you'll spend on antibiotics and disinfectants afterwards and you're not likely to come out ahead.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 11:05 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
For value for points I value them at 1/2 cent each. If close I pay for it and get more points- 1 cent then a good point usage IMO.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 11:49 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Delta Platinum
This isn't a popular strategy for many on here but to point out if you "bought" points with the 100% promotion (ex. from Points Guy)

"You can buy a maximum of 160,000 points during this promotion — but bonus points are on top of this maximum. If you buy 160,000 points for $1,600, you’ll get 160,000 bonus points with the 100% bonus. As such, you can obtain up to 320,000 Hilton points with this promotion."

Cash rate of $769 x 5 = $3,845

Buying 320K points costs $1,600 (note you're a hair short)

In my analysis, paying $3,845 should be off the table, just need to decide if this is a good use to use 360,000 points vs paying $1,600 to buy them + 40,000 extra points
Old Jun 7, 2022, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
Which state? Ocean City Maryland? I've stayed there - nice hotel, the room I was in had a kitchenette and a separate living area. I didn't pay that much, but it was outside the tourist season. During busy time, I would consider 90k to be fair at this location.
howie411 likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by miasmal
Which state? Ocean City Maryland? I've stayed there - nice hotel, the room I was in had a kitchenette and a separate living area. I didn't pay that much, but it was outside the tourist season. During busy time, I would consider 90k to be fair at this location.
Yep Ocean City MD.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My point being that Ocean City is an extremely "meh" place, for $700 plus or 90k miles you can stay in some of the nicest properties in some of the most incredible places in the World. Sort of reminds me when several years ago when I got stuck in Lake George for two days in the summer, even crap motels were $300 plus, and ok hotels were $600+ and I met people who would go there every year, and I questioned what was wrong with these people, did they not know that other places existed? Not to belabor a point, but you could stay at an excellent hotel in Thailand, for far less, and the difference in hotel rates could literally pay for the flight. Similar to many places in Florida or wherever that are far nicer.
arlflyer likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 4:22 am

you could stay at an excellent hotel in Thailand, for far less, and the difference in hotel rates could literally pay for the flight.
Plus, in Thailand the tourists are better behaved and the police are more professional.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 7:09 am

If Ocean City MD is where you want to be then yes, I'd think it's a good use of points.
I really like this hotel and the location. You're right on the beach and not on top of the boardwalk but a close enough walk if that's where you want to go. I tend to park the car and walk everywhere once we arrive (you can find ample covered parking around the back of the hotel instead of fighting for spaces in the front). I appreciate the fact that it's within reasonable driving distance so no flight involved (blasphemy on this forum, I know). The rooms are all suites, all oceanfront. The doubletree right next door is fewer points per night but not every room is ocean front. Plus I haven't stayed there so I can't speak to the rooms and amenities.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

My point being that Ocean City is an extremely "meh" place, for $700 plus or 90k miles you can stay in some of the nicest properties in some of the most incredible places in the World. Sort of reminds me when several years ago when I got stuck in Lake George for two days in the summer, even crap motels were $300 plus, and ok hotels were $600+ and I met people who would go there every year, and I questioned what was wrong with these people, did they not know that other places existed? Not to belabor a point, but you could stay at an excellent hotel in Thailand, for far less, and the difference in hotel rates could literally pay for the flight. Similar to many places in Florida or wherever that are far nicer.
Would cost me $4300 to fly 3 people to Thailand that week, pretty sure that would null out any good deal on hilton points I'd be getting. Besides this is where the wife wanted to go and you know.... she is the boss.....
johnndor likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 3:20 pm

Sounds like OP is in for a real party. Hope you have you affairs in order. Remember, crushes before natty, not the other way around.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Remember, crushes before natty, not the other way around.
An internet search leads me no closer to understanding this sentence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.