Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Conrad Chia Laguna Sardinia {ITA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2021, 12:47 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG

Starting a dedicated thread for the forthcoming Conrad Chia Laguna, Italy's first Conrad-branded hotel.

Opening planned for March 2022, but not taking reservations just yet. Hotel website available at this link.

khabah
Old Sep 19, 2021, 10:20 pm

Programs: WN CP & A-List, National ES
I’m trying to figure this hotel out. It’s not beachfront. The pool doesn’t look particularly aspirational. It’s not a business area. I’m not familiar with the area. What’s the attraction that makes it a property worth of the Conrad brand? Is a mainly an event and wedding property?
ceebee100, EqualOpp and dollar like this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 2:12 pm

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Just booked a week here from 16th using the Impresario rate. Seems it’s new and only just opening on 13th April so will take plenty of pics and write up a report when I get back Hopefully no teething problems.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 7:31 am

Programs: AA 1MM, AF Plat, VS Gold, Hyatt Glob, Sixt Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
Enjoy! Look forward to your trip report! I'd love to know what the free gold/elite breakfast is like and if they offer any info on the Kids Clubs (3 years old).
Old Apr 24, 2022, 12:40 pm

Hey guys, some impressions from the Conrad Chia Laguna in my private review video below. We've been here last week and stayed for three days. It's really a very nice high class hotel with friendly, great and attentive staff, tasty Mediterranean food and a nice breakfast selection. It's not located on the beach, but they offer buggy rides to the beach.
Maybe the images of the Suites and the hotel are helpful.

Old Jun 9, 2022, 5:08 am

The hotel is nice. Having stayed at the Renaissance Il Ciocco and this hotel - I feel there are similarities.

They both appear to be nowhere near anything of importance. They both have less American tourists, and more locals and Europeans.

They both pack a ton of charm, in their own resort compound . They both are undervalued and under-priced, unless location is stressed (this place is hours away from Porto Cervo and that scene). They both cater to business / group functions and tourists alike.

At 90,000pts/nt, or $529~/nt, we chose points. A similarly priced Hilton in the Costa Smeralda was over 200k pts/nt. Amex Platinum gives gold status, which allowed us to get complimentary breakfast.

The hotel was built in the 1970's, but the front desk mentioned it has been consistently refurbished throughout the years, and most recently refurbished during the pandemic, when they joined the Hilton chain. The whole area looks to be part of an investment by a firm called Italian Hospitality Collection. In the complex that the Conrad resides in; there is an event center, shopping plaza, semi-perm/permanent music stage, the Baia Di Chia Curio hotel across the road, another 4 star hotel that isn't affiliated with Hilton.

English is less spoken in the area, and you may need to have Google translate help you with retrieving your check, or making more specific requests.

The breakfast buffet is a nice spread. Even serving complimentary prosecco. While not as nice as the Park Hyatt Paris, the breakfast is very impressive. I would never have expected Hilton to include a warm buffet breakfast with omelette station and prosecco.

We were upgraded to a Junior King Suite, which has its own private balcony. Both the room and the balcony is quite generous in size, especially for Italy. The view from the suite is a sea view, and if I returned, I would not hesitate to rebook it.

As I understand it, everyone goes to the northeast side of the island. I haven't been there yet, but the south part of the island where this is, is a emerging tourist area. Looking on Google Maps, it becomes more clear how the biggest beaches in the south are right where these hotels are located. This might explain why the points rate seemed low? The drive out to Chia is nothing special, passing a lot of industry on the way. Eventually things start to seem more touristy, before eventually arriving in Chia.

Beach chairs/access is shared with the Baia Di Chia. Golf carts will transport to/from the beach - driving right thru the Baia Di Chia resort. The beach is nice. Great quality sand.

​​​​​​Everything can be charged to the room. Their shopping plaza has a pizzeria, gelato, coffee shop, art gallery, couple boutique stores selling clothes & shoes. The pizza was fantastic.

​​​​​They were offering free arrival drinks. We elected for a mojito, which were served strong. Everyone is very helpful, pleasant to work with, and generally seem happy to help you; very refreshing, even, given how some hotel staff make you feel like a chore.

In summary; the hotel is really inviting, the service is spectacular, the location is great. I suspect the local residents of Chia will be learning a lot more English as a result of Hilton. I can see the appeal of Sardinia, and can also see why people would spend a week or longer just on Sardinia. Just remember that it is nowhere near Costa Smeralda, and you won’t have the same scenery or geography here; still rugged coastline, but not as dramatic as the northeast.

Update - we just drove from Chia to Teulada, and want to say the drive is amazing - like the Pacific Coast Highway in California. Tons of beaches to stop at, tons of amazing viewing areas. You won’t want to miss this.
hugolover and SanDiego1K like this.

Last edited by factory81; Jun 10, 2022 at 12:47 am
Old Sep 6, 2022, 1:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I’m checking out today after a 5 night stay with points at 80k per night (I’d booked at 90k and noticed that one day and for one day only the rate went down to 80k, so I cancelled and rebooked). I will post more detailed thoughts once the holiday is over. Off to Carloforte later today.

To clarify something with respect to the post above. While I love Costa Smeralda, Sardinia has much more to offer in terms of coastline and beaches. The area around Chia, with its many beaches has always very popular among locals and tourists.

View of the laguna and sea from the hotel.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by ringingup
I’m checking out today after a 5 night stay with points at 80k per night (I’d booked at 90k and noticed that one day and for one day only the rate went down to 80k, so I cancelled and rebooked). I will post more detailed thoughts once the holiday is over. Off to Carloforte later today.

To clarify something with respect to the post above. While I love Costa Smeralda, Sardinia has much more to offer in terms of coastline and beaches. The area around Chia, with its many beaches has always very popular among locals and tourists.

View of the laguna and sea from the hotel.
I am thinking of booking this hotel for a trip (as a couple) next summer. Has anyone got any experience from recent times? I am especially interested in how they treat HH Diamond.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 4:36 am
Formerly known as hcampana

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Does anyone have the email address for the hotel?
Old Apr 3, 2023, 5:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by myeurocrush
Does anyone have the email address for the hotel?
[email protected]
[email protected]

I have some managers' addresses as well, but I'd rather not post them publicly.
myeurocrush and shengwan like this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by factory81
The hotel is nice. Having stayed at the Renaissance Il Ciocco and this hotel - I feel there are similarities.

They both appear to be nowhere near anything of importance. They both have less American tourists, and more locals and Europeans.

They both pack a ton of charm, in their own resort compound . They both are undervalued and under-priced, unless location is stressed (this place is hours away from Porto Cervo and that scene). They both cater to business / group functions and tourists alike.

At 90,000pts/nt, or $529~/nt, we chose points. A similarly priced Hilton in the Costa Smeralda was over 200k pts/nt. Amex Platinum gives gold status, which allowed us to get complimentary breakfast.

The hotel was built in the 1970's, but the front desk mentioned it has been consistently refurbished throughout the years, and most recently refurbished during the pandemic, when they joined the Hilton chain. The whole area looks to be part of an investment by a firm called Italian Hospitality Collection. In the complex that the Conrad resides in; there is an event center, shopping plaza, semi-perm/permanent music stage, the Baia Di Chia Curio hotel across the road, another 4 star hotel that isn't affiliated with Hilton.

English is less spoken in the area, and you may need to have Google translate help you with retrieving your check, or making more specific requests.

The breakfast buffet is a nice spread. Even serving complimentary prosecco. While not as nice as the Park Hyatt Paris, the breakfast is very impressive. I would never have expected Hilton to include a warm buffet breakfast with omelette station and prosecco.

We were upgraded to a Junior King Suite, which has its own private balcony. Both the room and the balcony is quite generous in size, especially for Italy. The view from the suite is a sea view, and if I returned, I would not hesitate to rebook it.

As I understand it, everyone goes to the northeast side of the island. I haven't been there yet, but the south part of the island where this is, is a emerging tourist area. Looking on Google Maps, it becomes more clear how the biggest beaches in the south are right where these hotels are located. This might explain why the points rate seemed low? The drive out to Chia is nothing special, passing a lot of industry on the way. Eventually things start to seem more touristy, before eventually arriving in Chia.

Beach chairs/access is shared with the Baia Di Chia. Golf carts will transport to/from the beach - driving right thru the Baia Di Chia resort. The beach is nice. Great quality sand.

​​​​​​Everything can be charged to the room. Their shopping plaza has a pizzeria, gelato, coffee shop, art gallery, couple boutique stores selling clothes & shoes. The pizza was fantastic.

​​​​​They were offering free arrival drinks. We elected for a mojito, which were served strong. Everyone is very helpful, pleasant to work with, and generally seem happy to help you; very refreshing, even, given how some hotel staff make you feel like a chore.

In summary; the hotel is really inviting, the service is spectacular, the location is great. I suspect the local residents of Chia will be learning a lot more English as a result of Hilton. I can see the appeal of Sardinia, and can also see why people would spend a week or longer just on Sardinia. Just remember that it is nowhere near Costa Smeralda, and you won’t have the same scenery or geography here; still rugged coastline, but not as dramatic as the northeast.

Update - we just drove from Chia to Teulada, and want to say the drive is amazing - like the Pacific Coast Highway in California. Tons of beaches to stop at, tons of amazing viewing areas. You won’t want to miss this.
Hello, Thank you for the review. I was wondering if you could mention exactly what time of year you you stayed here because I believe the experience will be vastly different if you stay in high season vs. low season? Oh and if you are surprised that there was a warm breakfast buffet/omelettes and prosecco at breakfast this obviously must have been your first time at a Conrad or WA because it's pretty standard at the upper tier of Hilton. At least for all the hotels I've been too. Also thanks for the road trip recommendation. We will have to check it out.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by ringingup
[email protected]
[email protected]

I have some managers' addresses as well, but I'd rather not post them publicly.
thanks so much. Sent you a PM.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Just back from 8 nights here after learning of its existence on this forum.

The stay was great value on points but I would be less impressed if I had paid in cash at circa 800 euros a night or almost 1000 euros a night in the room we stayed in.

I have to say the experience was something of a mixed bag. We were upgraded from the redemption standard king deluxe to an Oasi one bed suite with garden. I would not describe the rooms in either the Oasi or the main wing as luxurious by any stretch although in my experience poor furnishings etc. are not unusual in even high end Italian hotels the rooms were not really on keeping with my expectations of a Conrad (based on many other Conrad stays). I was pleased with the additional space of the suite we had as a regular room may have been too small. The bathroom though was quite small and difficult for two people who don't normally share a bathroom (or when we do have lots of space, his and hers sinks etc).

The Oasi wing (effectively a separate hotel adjacent to the main Conrad and badged as the Oasi hotel on the in room statutory notices and floor map). The Pool on the Oasi wing was quite nice and often felt like a private pool for the 2 of is (it could accommodate only 5 couples and we were often by ourselves). The downside was no service for drinks or food at the pool and a pushback on taking drinks from the room (I appreciate the apparent danger of glass by a pool but the attendant could have had plastics available or they could be left on the room).

The Bioqualm main pool was bigger but with inbuilt effective cabanas and poolside service. It also had fabulous views over the lagoon and towards the sea.

The biggest issue was the food across the resort. Oddly the main restaurant Terraza used for breakfast was by far the best evening dining option in the wider Laguna resort. We ate at every restaurant apart from the 2 buffet restaurants in the piazza and curio. Food beyond Terraza was really quite disappointing, being poorly seasoned and bland, the feature Sardinian Restaurant was bland, the steak restaurant served steak with no seasoning and consequently not much taste. Even the fish restaurant at the Curio Dune was similarly lacking real taste despite great fish. I love Italian food and out of resort in other places we enjoyed food that was tasty and fresh with a local twist, this was really not true within the resort with the honorable exception of Terraza (where the half board guests get reservation priority).

Even the pizza place (effectively a section of the piazza) delivered soggy bland pizza. This wasn't great but was somewhat unforgivable given Maldives level pricing (e.g. 25 euros for a cocktail, 500% markup on wines and champagnes so 25 euro bottles being sold at 140 euros etc.). I expect to pay a little more in resort but I found some of the pricing positively offensive. The best overall value for money and ironically the tastiest was Terraza but it also had the highest drink prices. Oddly the standout meal I had was a room service burger which was really really good, cooked medium (a rarity in the UK) although hardly a snip at 45 euros including tray charge, it was really very good

The gym and spa were great and service overall whilst patchy on places was generally good. The proximity to the wider package tour focused Laguna resort and it's extensive and loud Animation programme was a bit of a problem for me and likely so for other guests dropping 1k euros a night.

So the property really is a mixed bag. I would recommend mainly eating out of resort and there are some great options in nearby Pula, including the awesome Michelin starred Fradis Minoris where a 7 course tasting menu and matched wines with aperitifs, and digestifs and coffee came to less than we spent on 4 courses, and a bottle of wine in property.

It is a real shame also that they do not offer a wine experience evening. Sardinian Wine has very different varietals than most non Sardinians will be used to and only by tasting many do you build a picture of the varietals and styles you like (my express tip is that pretty much all wines from the Santadi vineyard are excellent even if sold at many multiples of the price on the winery, which we visited rather enjoyably).

If you are not a foodie then the shortcomings may not impact you greatly but if you are, you are likely to find yourself very disappointed with much of the F&B.

One further tip is that complimentary Prosecco (or local Sardinian Sparking) was not available at breakfast either self pour or offered by the servers, which again in my experience of high end Italian properties is an outlier, it's practically thrust upon you elsewhere.
hugolover likes this.

Last edited by Land-of-Miles; Jul 15, 2023 at 4:22 am Reason: Correction of mobile typing typos
Old Jul 14, 2023, 7:20 am

Programs: AA EXP; DL Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist (marriage perk)
Silly question: do they have Conrad stuffed animal?
Old Jul 14, 2023, 9:26 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Just back from 8 nights here after learning of its existence on this forum.

The stay was great value on points but I would be less impressed if I had paid in cash at circa 800 euros a night or almost 1000 euros a night in the room we stayed in.

I have to say the experience was something of a mixed bag. We were upgraded from the redemption standard kong deluxe to an Oasi one bed suite with garden. I would not describe the rooms in either the Oasi or the main wing as luxurious by any stretch although in my experience poor furnishings etc. are not unusual in even high end Italian hotels the rooms were not really on keeping with my expectations of a Conrad (based on many other Conrad stays). I was pleased with the additional space of the suite we had as a regular room may have been too small. The bathroom though was quite small and difficult for two people who don't normally share a bathroom (or when we do have lots of space, his and hers sinks etc).

The Oasi wing (effectively a seperate hotel adjacent to the main Conrad and badged as the Oasi hotel on the in room statutory notices and floor map). The Pool on the Oasi wing was quite nice and often felt like a private pool for the 2 of is (it could accommodate only 5 couples and we were often by ourselves). The downside was no service for drinks or food at the pool and a pushback on taking drinks from the room (I appreciate the apparent danger of glass by a pool but the attendant could have had plastics available or they could be left on the room).

The Bioquam main pool was bigger but with inbuilt effective cabanas and poolside service. It also had fabulous views over the lagoon and towards the sea.

The biggest issue was the food across the resort. Oddly the main restaurant Terrazza used for breakfast was by far the best evening dining option in the wider Laguna resort. We ate at every restaurant apart from the 2 buffet restaurants in the piazza and curio. Food beyond Terrazza was really quite disappointing, being poorly seasoned and bland, the feature Sardinian Restaurant was bland, the steak restaurant served steak with no seasoning and consequently not much taste. Even the fish restaurant at the Curio Dune was similarly lacking real taste despite great fish. I love Italian food and out of resort in other places we enjoyed food that was tasty and fresh with a local twist, this was really not true within the resort with the honourable exception of Terrazza (where the half board guests get reservation priority).

Even the pizza place (effectively a section of the piazza) delivered soggy bland pizza. This wasn't great but was somewhat unforgivable given Maldives level pricing (e.g. 25 euros for a cocktail, 500% markup on wines and champagnes so 25 euro bottles being sold at 140 euros etc.). I expect to pay a little more in resort but I found some of the pricing positively offensive. The best overall value for money and ironically the tastiest was Terrazza but it also had the highest drink prices. Oddly the standout meal I had was a room service burger which was really really good, cooked medium (a rarity in the UK) although hardly a snip at 45 euros including tray charge, it was really very good

The gym and spa were great and service overall whilst patchy on places was generally good. The proximity to the wider package tour focussed Laguna resort and it's extensive and loud Animation programme was a bit of a problem for me and likely so for other guests dropping 1k euros a night.

So the property really is a mixed bag. I would recommend mainly eating out of resort and there are some great options in nearby Pula, including the awesome Michelin starred Fradis Minoris where a 7 course tasting menu and matched wines with aperitifs, and digestifs and coffee came to less than we spent on 4 courses, and a bottle of wine in property.

It is a real shame also that they do not offer a wine experience evening. Sardinian Wine has very different variatels than most non Sardinians will be used to and only by tasting many do you build a picture of the variatels and styles you like (my express tip is that pretty much all wines from the Santadi vineyard are excellent even if sold at many multiples of the price on the winery, which we visited rather enjoyably).

If you are not a foodie then the shortcomings may not impact you greatly but if you are, you are likely to find yourself very disappointed with much of the F&B.

One further tip is that complimentary Prosecco (or local Sardinian Sparking) was not available at breakfast either self pour or offered by the servers, which again in my experience of high end Italian properties is an outlier, it's practically thrust upon you elsewhere.
nice review. How far is Pula?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.