Search

Waldorf Astoria Cancun {MEX}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2021, 11:20 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Waldorf Astoria Cancun {MEX}

Starting a dedicated thread for Waldorf Astoria Cancun, opening May 1st, 2022. Reservations are open, with entry-level rooms available from 593 USD on opening day.

Website for the hotel is available at this link.

khabah
Old Oct 5, 2021, 5:04 pm

What was in that area before ? Wondering if the beach area around the hotel will be decent
Old Oct 5, 2021, 5:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
What was in that area before ? Wondering if the beach area around the hotel will be decent
While I can't tell what was there before, it is near La Isle. The nearby properties all look very nice. I would assume those are fairly nice beaches.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 6:25 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
It looks like both this hotel and the All-Inclusive Hilton in Cancun are the same rates (95K/night). Thoughts on this one versus staying at the All-Inclusive? From the room descriptions, it looks like the rooms here would be larger and guaranteed ocean-front, but we would be on our own for meals. While I've stayed at RCs and STRs before, I've never stayed at a WA. This trip will be just my wife and I for our 40th Anniversary.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 6:09 pm

Programs: American Airlines, British Airways, Southwest, Hilton, Marriott
Thinking about using free night certificates on this one! Hope there are some good restaurants nearby so that all meals don't have to be eaten on property.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 10:28 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by khgagne
Thinking about using free night certificates on this one! Hope there are some good restaurants nearby so that all meals don't have to be eaten on property.
You will be out of luck on this one, because this dual property is in the middle of nowhere between Cancun and Playa, closer to CUN airport. But you will not be able to get anywhere without paying for a taxi. So, of course, similar to the new Hilton AI Tulum (opening soon) and the Conrad Tulum, you will be stuck in a piece of the Mayan Jungle with direct access to the beach. The only Hilton in the area that has plenty of restaurants walking distance is the Hilton Playa del Carmen. But that last one happens to be also All Inclusive, so why bother.
iahphx likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 7:16 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I'm a bit surprised that they chose this area for a Waldorf Astoria. There are much better locations for a better beach running from Playa Mujeres to Tulum.

This particular area of Puerto Morelos can be plagued with seaweed. Also, the ocean water can be murky most/some of the time. I stayed a few years ago at the Hideaway at the Royalton Riviera Cancun which is right down the beach. I knew what I was getting into regarding the beach as I did my heavy research beforehand and yeah, it was all true.

I definitely wanted to try this hotel out, but since I'm an absolute beach lover, I'm leaning towards the Conrad Tulum instead.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
FYI--the hotel's website linked by OP now says "reservations from September 29, 2022 and beyond," so there's been (unsurprisingly given supply chain) delays opening.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 8:48 am

Programs: American Airlines, British Airways, Southwest, Hilton, Marriott
I realize that no one has a crystal ball, but I am wondering what the consensus is on the hotel actually opening November 1st.
I have 3 free night certificates that expire at the end of the year and would like to make a reservation for mid-November. It looks like it is going to be a beautiful resort when done but waffling on whether to pull the trigger or make alternate plans??
Old Aug 20, 2022, 1:03 am

I read something interesting.
Guests here will have full access to the facilities at Hilton all inclusive. I can't image that it works both ways . i.e. Hilton guests don't get Waldorf access.
What would menu prices be to eat a la carte at the Hilton?
I would imagine Very artificially inflated to show that Hilton guests are getting a "great deal" with their all in .
lsquare and DC9 like this.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by khabah
Starting a dedicated thread for Waldorf Astoria Cancun, opening May 1st, 2022. Reservations are open, with entry-level rooms available from 593 USD on opening day.

Website for the hotel is available at this link.

khabah
That's a hell of a lot cheaper than the Waldorf Astoria Los Cabos Pedregal!
Old Sep 3, 2022, 3:01 am

It's not the the standard room categories got booked - They just relabeled the class

Well, you snooze you lose.
Oh well saw for longest time over " festive week " for Xmas- New Years
for 90 or 95 K points (STANDARD ROOMS) , interesting thing is identical rooms have been relabeled "premium rooms" -- Absurd points).
It's not the the standard room categories got booked - They just relabeled the classification.
Meanwhile at close to $2K at night all in at these revenue rates , I can see only 30% occupancy even festive week.
Although only 182 rooms.
It's an unknown property, not a like of hype, and people who can pay $14,000 for a week are not looking for Cancun. Still kinda of" low- brow"
Old Oct 12, 2022, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, BA Gold, AF Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Plat
Originally Posted by writetorich
I read something interesting.
Guests here will have full access to the facilities at Hilton all inclusive. I can't image that it works both ways . i.e. Hilton guests don't get Waldorf access.
What would menu prices be to eat a la carte at the Hilton?
I would imagine Very artificially inflated to show that Hilton guests are getting a "great deal" with their all in .
writetorich here’s a Youtube video discussing that the Hilton AI daypass all inclusive of food & alcohol is for non-guests was $200 back in April 2022 but was negotiated down to $150.

I’ll be very surprised if the Waldorf tries to charge its guests more than $200 rate for non-guests for the Hilton AI daypass inclusive of food & alcohol

there’s a second YouTube video published 2 weeks ago from a travel agent that supposedly stated that the Waldorf has not finalized the piece of the Hilton AI day pass. Not sure if they were referring to charging for the Hilton facilities plus Hilton all you can eat food or just charging to use the Hilton facilities.

Originally Posted by lsquare
That's a hell of a lot cheaper than the Waldorf Astoria Los Cabos Pedregal!
lsquare An interesting point in the same TA video above was that travel agents are invited to the Cancun WA experience at 200 per night rate.

Lastly it is comical to hear that Waldorf Cancun impose a more formal dress code for their restaurants. These folks have clearly not been to the Waldorf Maldives lol. This is a beach resort after all- its not as if the “affluent ” clientele never bring casual clothes on vacation lol
lsquare and khgagne like this.

Last edited by ultrasoul; Oct 12, 2022 at 10:32 pm
Old Oct 29, 2022, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Considering a stay here over Thanksgiving are there any special rates or feedback from this place?

I am a diamond member
Old Oct 30, 2022, 3:39 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
The resort isn't open yet, so you aren't going to get direct feedback.

I'm quite familiar with the area. The beaches aren't very good here. Not that it's rocky, but this area is prone to seaweed. With that said, I will be spending 2 nights here in the beginning of Dec. As the owner of a travel agency, I still want to experience this hotel despite the cons of the beach

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.