Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Upgrades in Advance for Lifetime Diamond, Diamond, and Gold Members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades in Advance for Lifetime Diamond, Diamond, and Gold Members

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2021, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by escape4
One weakness of Hilton's loyalty program at the moment, is that it's too easy to get top tier relative to other hotel chains (because of Amex) so having top tier is less valuable comparatively speaking. Marriott's 100 nights + $20k USD spend is a high hurdle, and Hyatt's 60 nights is also not that easy considering the smaller footprint than Hilton. Some progress can be achieved with both Marriott and Hyatt via credit cards who give night credits but not to the same extent as Hilton.

Now that Hilton makes a distinction for upgrades between LTD and Diamond, there will be a definite advantage to people who stayed in Hiltons a lot and have reached Diamond organically, which was a fair complaint in the past. At least in theory, it can help narrow the gap with Marriott in terms of how many other guests are competing for suites. Hyatt is somewhat less comparable to Hilton but LT Globalists are sometimes also treated better than Globalists so Hilton's move will help in that regard too.

Another problem with Hilton in the past (at least based on my travel pattern), has been suite upgrades were less likely than Marriott and Hyatt in many cities because more Hilton hotels decided suites were out of bounds for upgrades, whereas with many Hyatt hotels I knew my odds are very close to 100% to get a suite, if a suite was available. I agree with others that this upgrade system won't magically make stingy Hilton hotels become generous overnight, however it might help give guests more ammunition to push back on the lack of upgrades when suites are available, maybe not in all hotels, but in some. Having a more tangible system for suite upgrades can also help improve the likelihood of upgrades in the long-term as some hotels might loosen up their views regarding upgrades modestly over time. Changing mindsets can be a gradual process and a new automated upgrade system can help in that regard.

So overall I think it's a positive. We'll see how the implementation goes.
Even before the current Am Ex, Hilton diamond wasn't too hard to obtain. You only had to put $40K on their credit card, which isn't much compared to Hyatt where you need I believe $110K spend if you have no nights and I don't think you can achieve top status at all with Marriott with just credit card spend. Hilton should have required $40K in spend like before or do what Hyatt does and give an elite nights credit for every $5K in spend. Would help people achieve the status faster without getting flooded with diamonds. In the past it was also very easy to get status with match's and the MVP programs. Hilton also has a lot more properties to stay at so much easier to get 60 nights in with Hilton than with Hyatt. Main reason Hilton gets any stays over Hyatt anymore from me is when there isn't a Hyatt in the location I am at.

If you throw out giving people spending 100K a night at the top of the chain I'd be fine with it. Do what the airlines do and give LTD diamonds first shot at upgrades and go on highest amount paid and rewards stays rank at the bottom, then go to diamonds, then golds, etc.

I thought suite upgrades were only available to diamonds anyway. If the 100K is per stay it won't be very hard at all to have a multi-night stay totalling that as diluted as Hilton points are.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 10:27 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I thought suite upgrades were only available to diamonds anyway. If the 100K is per stay it won't be very hard at all to have a multi-night stay totalling that as diluted as Hilton points are.
I don't think I have seen anything in writing yet about the upgrades for 100k redemption stays so I remain partially skeptical. So far it's only based on what Lobby wrote, right? So once we get more details, it might very well be that we will realize suite upgrades get #1 priority for 100k reward stays of LTDs and Diamonds only, but that the random guy without status on a 100k redemption will continue to be at the bottom of the pecking order. I will believe it when I see it.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 6:29 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
I checked into two London hotels his week (Park Lane and Paddo.) I was upgraded at check in at both, but nothing in advance.
ibbitsc likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 7:18 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
I checked into two London hotels his week (Park Lane and Paddo.) I was upgraded at check in at both, but nothing in advance.
Because, officially, the program doesn't start until Nov 15. So today would be the first actual day to start offering upgrades.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by escape4
I don't think I have seen anything in writing yet about the upgrades for 100k redemption stays so I remain partially skeptical. So far it's only based on what Lobby wrote, right? So once we get more details, it might very well be that we will realize suite upgrades get #1 priority for 100k reward stays of LTDs and Diamonds only, but that the random guy without status on a 100k redemption will continue to be at the bottom of the pecking order. I will believe it when I see it.
It has been confirmed by William that the points stays do not get priority - but even if they did, upgrades are only a benefit for gold and diamond members so the random guy without status would not be eligible for upgrades.
escape4 likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 10:24 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
It doesn't drive DAL's for top tier. DAL is devaluing GUC's and requires $250K in spend to be a credit card diamond. And upgrades with DAL are based on fare class. A full Y diamond is first in line for an upgrade and someone an awards ticket is last in line for the upgrade and I don't even think silvers on an award ticket can get upgraded.
DL's order (simplified) is status, then fare class. Y Diamond then award Diamond then Y Plat all the way to partner elite or Reserve kettle on an award ticket.

The marketing etc. things which make DL different from UA/AA (from allowing full top status solely from card spend to rollover MQM to Pay With Miles to having better SkyClubs without having D1 lounges) are all almost certainly driven by Amex.

The only thing that will likely reverse the US breakfast credit is Aspire/Surpass holders citing it as a reason for canceling the cards.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 3:36 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
It's absurd that a credit card diamond gets upgraded over an earned diamond.
Remember, HLT isn't in the hotel business. They're basically a booking and marketing platform for hotels. They get a fairly small portion of the room revenue, especially when the value of the points given in the various promotions is factored in (when there's a double point promo, the net after granting 30 points per $ to a Diamond is about 4%).

Conversely, for the Aspire, HLT gets about $400 of the AF. They cover the resort and the Conrad/WA credits, which after breakage and the fact that Hilton gets about 20% of the charges which triggered the credits is a net of about $200. That's equivalent earnings to $5k of room revenue from a Diamond: right there that's more than most who are doing 30 one-night stays for Diamond or 50 nights on corporate/local-negotiated rates (half-off rack is not uncommon) and 10 award nights a year. If that Aspire holder is putting spend on the card, the value increases to the point where I'd suspect that, prepandemic, the median Aspire holder is in the top 25% of Diamonds by value to HLT. Since 2020, the median Aspire holder is probably a top 10% Diamond.

Now, it's true that a credit card diamond isn't worth that much to someone in the hotel business (i.e. a franchisee), but J. Random Diamond with 60 nights who walks into a hotel they've never stayed at before isn't worth that much to the hotel either: a Silver who stays 10 nights a year at the same hotel is worth a lot more to that hotel than a one-shot Diamond, and that Silver may well have a note in their file that if they want a room they get upgraded at booking and J. Random Diamond will have to beg at check-in for an upgrade.

So the new Hilton changes, reading between the lines, take upgrade discretion away from the properties. Chain loyalty vs. property loyalty now matters, at least as long as the hotel isn't close to full.
dw, SPN Lifer and escape4 like this.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by muzthe42nd
It has been confirmed by William that the points stays do not get priority - but even if they did, upgrades are only a benefit for gold and diamond members so the random guy without status would not be eligible for upgrades.
That's what I suspected. Thank you for confirming!
Old Nov 12, 2021, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by hhdl
So the new Hilton changes, reading between the lines, take upgrade discretion away from the properties. Chain loyalty vs. property loyalty now matters, at least as long as the hotel isn't close to full.
I am looking forward to see how it works in practice and how hotels follow it. There are some hotels where property loyalty will be to my advantage over a first-time LTD, and other hotels where chain loyalty will be to my advantage over the Golds who have stayed there many times whereas I might be a first time guest. I expect the new rules will sometimes be in my favor, sometimes against.
Old Nov 13, 2021, 10:23 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Remember, HLT isn't in the hotel business. They're basically a booking and marketing platform for hotels. They get a fairly small portion of the room revenue, especially when the value of the points given in the various promotions is factored in (when there's a double point promo, the net after granting 30 points per $ to a Diamond is about 4%).

Conversely, for the Aspire, HLT gets about $400 of the AF. They cover the resort and the Conrad/WA credits, which after breakage and the fact that Hilton gets about 20% of the charges which triggered the credits is a net of about $200. That's equivalent earnings to $5k of room revenue from a Diamond: right there that's more than most who are doing 30 one-night stays for Diamond or 50 nights on corporate/local-negotiated rates (half-off rack is not uncommon) and 10 award nights a year. If that Aspire holder is putting spend on the card, the value increases to the point where I'd suspect that, prepandemic, the median Aspire holder is in the top 25% of Diamonds by value to HLT. Since 2020, the median Aspire holder is probably a top 10% Diamond.
Very interesting analysis. Would be interesting to actually see hard numbers for this sort of thing to concretely calculate the value of each respective customer type. I suspect your conclusion is largely correct.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2021, 10:31 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb

And let’s not forget that when the pandemic started last year, Amex agreed to prepurchase $1B worth of points from Hilton- letting them generate cash when they really needed it. There’s significant value to Hilton from the cobrand card portfolio and it’s clearly in both their and Amex’s interests to keep their cardholders happy.
SPN Lifer, hugolover, hhdl and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 3:10 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I have a stay at the HHV for Friday using points for a "Coastal View" room, got the email even more than three days in advance, upgraded to a Rainbow Tower Oceanfront room. Still debating whether to use that points reservation (180,000 HHonors Points) or a paid Prive reservation at the Hyatt Regency ($1,000 cash), I do like me my Regency Club lounge, even if it isn't what it used to be, and the Prive rate includes free breakfast plus $100 property credit compared to a $30/day credit at the HHV.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 8:20 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Well my first upgrade under this program just came in. I got upgraded from a base king room in DoubleTree Krakow H&CC to a one bedroom suite (Basically he biggest room they are selling). It is at least nice to know in advance. The hotel is by all looks rather empty during the next few weeks so that also plays into it.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 11:34 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I didn't get an email but saw in the app that I was upgraded this week from coastal room to Rainbow oceanfront with two lanais at HHV. Booked with amex free night cert. Best upgrade I've ever had there.
DC9 likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 5:17 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
The mails are good if you get a reasonable upgrade, otherwise can be the contrary.
This week I received one that was ‘King Size to King Size with view’, at a property where the view is irrelevant in both cases.
At the same time they had plenty of higher category rooms for sale.
The hotel was not very convenient but the rate was very low and Uber is available and cheap in the city I was staying.
The mail put me off and I decided to cancel the booking and stay somewhere else. Probably a childish decision but had a nice stay in the property I finally booked.
NoY, hugolover and DC9 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.