Wiki Posts
Search

HiltonHonorsDiamond wife?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2021, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Hilton
HiltonHonorsDiamond wife?

So my wife joined HH 4 months ago since we had to spend 4 months in a Homewood extended stay. And we now have a joint HH Aspire credit card as well.

I dont have my own HH number ( I attmepted to amke one a few months back but it the password had issues and after trying to contact HH, they never followed through)

Now, I have a meeting in a few weeks and may stay at a hilton. But can she book the room under our joint card and she'd get the points? OR do I go through the hassle of trying to open my own account?
Old Jul 13, 2021, 4:33 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Strictly speaking, HHonors does not allow a single account to be used jointly.

However...just book it in her name on her account, and add your name as the 2nd guest (there's an option on the booking page to do this). When you check in, provide the reservation name and your card to pay for the room. If they ask where Mrs. Phoenix is, tell them she's running late.

I may get flamed by the sticklers here since she technically should be the one checking in and staying (with you as guest).
Grog likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 4:53 pm

As long as she is the main guest and lists you as the 2nd guest (so you can check in), you're fine. If you're booking it expecting to get reimbursed (if this is business travel), you are likely SOL.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 11:24 am
Original Poster

So frustrating. I just checked my emails, I have an HH number but they never reply to my emails
Old Jul 14, 2021, 12:40 pm

Programs: Jetblue, Turkish, Hilton Gold, Spirit Gold
Not sure what a joint aspire credit card means, are you an authorized user in your wife's credit card?

It is always better to book with your own HH number and transfer any points earned to your wife after the stay.

Last edited by ovacikar; Jul 14, 2021 at 2:28 pm
Old Jul 14, 2021, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by the phoenix
But can she book the room under our joint card and she'd get the points? OR do I go through the hassle of trying to open my own account?
There is a concept you need to understand - separate the HHonor account and the cobrand credit card account.

For HHonor account, the member must be the main guest for the room and be available at check-in in order to get credit for the room. For cobrand credit card, an authorized user (AU) can earn HHonor points on behalf of the primary cardholder when the AU uses the card. For cobrand card, the nexus with HHonor is the reward program and nothing else.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 3:02 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Originally Posted by PHL
Strictly speaking, HHonors does not allow a single account to be used jointly.
That is not completely accurate. Hilton USED to issue joint "mutual fund" accounts that allowed two spouses to have one account, one account number, and share points and benefits.

They no longer offer the accounts to be issued, but older mutual fund accounts that were in effect can still be maintained. We still utilize one, but it is very rare when we are not traveling together.
fed planner likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by PHL
I may get flamed by the sticklers here since she technically should be the one checking in and staying (with you as guest).
Well, it is fraud. It's not fraud that will be prosecuted. It's probably not even fraud that will be caught by Hilton.

Still fraud. And needless, too, considering Hilton allows free points transfers between members in 1,000 point increments (up to 500k points annually).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 6:58 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by garykung
There is a concept you need to understand - separate the HHonor account and the cobrand credit card account.

For HHonor account, the member must be the main guest for the room and be available at check-in in order to get credit for the room. For cobrand credit card, an authorized user (AU) can earn HHonor points on behalf of the primary cardholder when the AU uses the card. For cobrand card, the nexus with HHonor is the reward program and nothing else.
Does Diamond status carry over to an AU’’s HHonors account though? I’d guess not, but not sure.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 1:30 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by birdiedouble
Does Diamond status carry over to an AU’’s HHonors account though? I’d guess not, but not sure.
No, the status does not carry over the AU's Hilton Honors account. There is not even a place to add it in the process of adding an AU. The primary account holder gets the status and the points. The AU is just able to make purchases.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Its just frustrating. In March, we both opened separate HHonors accounts and tied the Aspire card to her account so that we could rack up points (stayed over 90 days at a Homewood)

But since day 1, my account never got verified. I've tried chat and emails over 3 weeks ago and no response. I spend 15 min before talking with a Honors customer service person who couldn't figure it out than placed me on hold again.....I was on the phone 50 mins. SO Im just waiting time trying to "do the right thing" and not be fraudulent but I cant verify this account for a potential stay without my wife present.

So now, Im thinking of just using another email to open an account.....start fresh
Old Jul 19, 2021, 9:26 am

Trying to open a new account with a new email address sounds like a good idea.

Checking in expecting to use your wife's Honors membership when she is not checking in as well is a violation of Honors' terms and conditions. Hilton agents are taught on day one that the "Honor member's head needs to be on the bed".

That said the ideas others have given to get around this may work. Until they don't. Then a few things could happen - singly or in combination depending on who figures out and how much they care. Most likely, they will just deny you the benefits. They could cancel your reservation if your wife is the primary name on it and doesn't arrive. Or they could close her Honors account and take any points in it. She could plead that she is innocent and probably get a new account opened and her points restored. But Hilton's Fraud Prevention team would monitor the new account and, if there were another T&C operation would close the account, take the points and blacklist her (and possibly you) from Honors.
DELee and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

In all honestly, given how difficult its been, I think I'll just forget the idea and book under my BonvoyMarriot which is problem free.

We've racked over 800,000 pts the last 4 months under her, so no need to jump through hoops for trying to verify my account when we travel together 99% of the time!
Old Jul 20, 2021, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
So someone cannot use their Hilton points to book a room for someone else and put it under their name (the same way you can use airline miles to book a flight for someone else under their name)? Not looking for benefits, just looking to redeem points for someone else. That's allowed, right?
Old Jul 22, 2021, 8:15 pm

Programs: Jetblue, Turkish, Hilton Gold, Spirit Gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
So someone cannot use their Hilton points to book a room for someone else and put it under their name (the same way you can use airline miles to book a flight for someone else under their name)? Not looking for benefits, just looking to redeem points for someone else. That's allowed, right?
That's a gray area, it's always safer to transfer points and book on your own name.

Last edited by ovacikar; Jul 22, 2021 at 8:42 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.