Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Cleanstay Ends, Limited Housekeeping Stays

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2021, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Effective July 5, Hilton will stop requiring door seals, remote wrappers, guest amenity wipes, and the Top 10 Hotspots protocol requirement.

Stayover cleaning "upon request" will become Hilton's standard for Focused Service, All Suites and Lifestyle brand (i.e. all but Waldorf-Astoria, Conrad and LXR).

Confirmed with current Hilton managers who received a newsletter with these details.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 5:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Saw this coming a mile away. There’s pros and cons. The door seals were TSA-style security theater anyways. But the relentless drive to the bottom line is undeniable.

In the past year, I’ve stayed at Hamptons who never stopped breakfast and never stopped housekeeping. I stayed at a DT who handed me a giant black garbage bag at check-in and said “come back if you need another”. I was at a Homewood last week that was out of all toiletries except shampoo.

I’m checking into a resort Embassy Suites on 7/5. Prior to selling out for the duration of our stay, rooms were going for $400+/night. I’ll be interested to see what level of service we get.
Sisosig likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 7:17 pm

Programs: DL reject, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Jelly of the Month, formerly NWA Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by aww3583
I’ll be interested to see what level of service we get.
If you expect nothing, you won't be disappointed.
hedoman, craig44485 and dmarge18 like this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 9:35 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
I’ve thought about this a bit… figured it would be coming. Generally it’s just me traveling for business and I don’t really need someone in my room simply to rearrange a few things and make my bed. Maybe I’m happy to have housekeeping only available on request.

However, (others may (and likely will) disagree), I think I have also decided that end-of-stay housekeeping to turn over the room is the hotel’s responsibility, and not a tipped service.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 12:04 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, BonVoy Gold, BW Diamond, RR Premium
At least they are being honest? The other chains that won't even dump trash or give us towels and sing "clean" songs are driving me nuts. But check back with me next week, after I stay in a Hilton, post July 5...
Old Jul 1, 2021, 5:06 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
So now one needs to actually request housekeeping at the front desk during multi days stays. What a nuisance.
Boraxo, BigFishDave and craig44485 like this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I rarely stay multiple nights, and when I do I loathe not knowing when housekeeping will come? I don't change my sheets or towels at home every day. Rather a plus for me.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 8:21 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by florens
So now one needs to actually request housekeeping at the front desk during multi days stays. What a nuisance.
Get the app and request it on there when you want it. There should be no need to go to the front desk.
florens, hi55us, MP001 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 9:50 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I rarely stay multiple nights, and when I do I loathe not knowing when housekeeping will come? I don't change my sheets or towels at home every day. Rather a plus for me.
Can't you hang DND sign on door?
Boraxo and BigFishDave like this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 10:05 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I’m not surprised and expected this. I always struggled in multi day stays with housekeeping (seems like they knock and open at the worst times for me). I also think it’s weird that someone is in your room every day. So, I’m cool with this. My obsessive behavior has me making the bed first thing every morning anyway.
Points Scrounger and rsqrott like this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by aww3583
Saw this coming a mile away. There’s pros and cons. The door seals were TSA-style security theater anyways. But the relentless drive to the bottom line is undeniable.

In the past year, I’ve stayed at Hamptons who never stopped breakfast and never stopped housekeeping. I stayed at a DT who handed me a giant black garbage bag at check-in and said “come back if you need another”. I was at a Homewood last week that was out of all toiletries except shampoo.

I’m checking into a resort Embassy Suites on 7/5. Prior to selling out for the duration of our stay, rooms were going for $400+/night. I’ll be interested to see what level of service we get.

My wife and I just completed a five night stay at the Homewood Suites in Lansdale, PA. While housekeeping was on request, we only asked for it on two of the four nights. The cleaning was thorough, as was the hotels response to a short list of deficiencies that we found at check in.

The only shortfall in “amenities” was that the hotel was out of bath soap, but there was plenty of hand soap available.

The breakfast was what one might have found pre-Covid 19, except that the hot items were served by a hotel staff member.

We make this trip at least four times a year, and have previously stayed at a Homewood property in Bucks County, or a Marriott RI in Willow Grove. The Lansdale property has them both beat hands down, although this admittedly was our first time at that location.
Points Scrounger likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 7:38 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
I assume there will be a correspong rate reduction from hotels that no longer provide this service automatically. Otherwise, I am paying the same price for less amenities. I also think "asking" for a room cleaning can get confrontational. I stayed at one place last summer that had a sign posted saying "all housekeepers have gone for the day" and this was at 10am! Life continues its so decline.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
I assume there will be a correspong rate reduction from hotels that no longer provide this service automatically.
Yeah, sure thing.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 10:31 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond
Where this is going to get interesting is that some properties are going to/already have been putting their own spin on the idea of the housekeeping request. An example being that at the Hampton I work at, if you want housekeeping service for let's say Friday, you need to request it at the latest the day prior. If you call on Friday and ask for same day service chances are the answer is going to be no.

I know of other properties where if you want service during your stay you need to specify at check in what days you want it on or else you're going to hear no if you change your mind after that point. Other places will not clean the room on a daily basis for multi-night stays. They'll tell you that if you're staying four nights the most you can get is service every other day. No question that daily housekeeping service is not happening anytime soon if ever again in the limited service realm but Hilton has given properties a wide berth as to how they can choose to interpret it in this format. Obviously this is to some degree only going to frustrate guests as it's one more thing that will be applied on a hotel by hotel basis.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 10:38 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
But then what are you paying the hotel premium over AirBnB for, if not for a more regular cleaning service? Especially in the US with room service being replaced by delivery services.

You might as well stay in apartments instead, cut 20% off your rate and get 50% more space.

PS I am assuming this is a US-only change?
MeVoy and craig44485 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.