Wiki Posts
Search

Discussion thread for JFK hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2021, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond , Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, IHG Diamond Elite
Discussion thread for JFK hotels

I have an upcoming trip to USVI and looking for a hotel to spend the night before 8am flight ( Diamond member) . I see two Hilton options:

1. Hilton JFK , suites available , shuttle , lots of negative reviews, lots of complaints of no Diamond upgrades even in COVID era.

2. Hilton Garden Inn, no suites , shuttle

Price difference is negligible ~30$, if I I have a realistic chance of a suite upgrade , I would go with Hilton . We are family of three, little guy is 2 years old and used to sleeping in a separate room.

I can throw in the mix also Courtyard Marriott ( Silver member) , better reviews than the two Hiltons, priced in between them.

Also I usually park in the neighborhood at Aardwolf parking (12$/day with taxes) and free shuttle. There are paid options at both Hiltons, but they come with 5 or 10 day packages at 20$/day plus tax and no 8 day option .

Hoping to get some advices and suggestions!

Regards, Stan
kasmersensei likes this.

Last edited by s777bg; Jan 11, 2021 at 12:12 am
Old Jan 11, 2021, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
I don't have any on topic advice but I will tell you that they will ask for your test results upon arrival.
s777bg likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
If you are a Diamond member already, presumably you have some experience with Hilton upgrade policies.

I think the chances of a suite upgrade at an airport hotel in the US are close to zero. But perhaps you have had better luck than I...
Old Jan 11, 2021, 7:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
JFK hotels with the exception of the TWA, are pretty much always a disappointment. The TWA, of course, isn't a Hilton, it's pricey, and you aren't spending significant time there anyway.

Forget the suite upgrade. Don't stay at a place with lousy reviews just as you are setting out on a trip. It's the last thing you need.

If the HGI suits your needs, stick with it if Hilton is essential.
s777bg, rogo and Antonio8069 like this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by indufan
I don't have any on topic advice but I will tell you that they will ask for your test results upon arrival.

I will be having a test required to visit USVI, but also I will have to doublecheck the NYC requirements before I head out to JFK. As of right now , Mass residents are exempt of providing a test , USVI are requiring negative test 5 days ahead, NYC is allowing a timeframe of only 72 hours though. Being transit in NYC less than 24 hours should also not required a negative test, or that doesn’t go into effect if you are spending a night at a hotel? The trip is at the end of February...

The more I read about the two “airport” Hiltons , the more I am incline to book TWA. Price difference is 50-70$ which is absolutely fine , the convenience is incomparable I would imagine . And I will save some hassle between shuttles , parking and keeping an eye of my quite active toddler.

Thank you everyone for the input .
Old Jan 11, 2021, 11:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
My ‘best’ JFK hotel experience included a hold-up at the gas station across the road five minutes after I bought some beer there.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Never stayed due to being a local but legacy JFK hotels in general are desperate. I would jump at the chance to stay at the TWA although, so much aviation history. Plus brand new and no off the street traffic. One of my first business flights was out of that terminal, in TWA's waning days, on an L-1011.
DC9, esc2476 and s777bg like this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA - EXP
Did a staycation at TWA in December. Food and drinks are pretty lackluster due to COVID (only one bar with limited options open) however, the building itself is amazing, and when it's that empty fun to explore. Rooms are great, especially for the views! Rates are decent at the moment too.

The winner however is its proximity to the airport itself, especially if flying out of T4. The roof deck is still open and adjacent to some neat planes coming and going (Virgin Atlantic A350-1000).

Bought a TWA robe and I've barely taken it off since December.
DC9 and s777bg like this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 6:02 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
JFK Hilton is nothing special, only real advantage it had over the HGI was the EL, but with COVID that is most likely closed. As a Diamond I always ended up on the EL floor, thats about it. No suite upgrade and its just your basic Hilton room that, I may add, is in need of a significant freshening up. Location of TWA is also much better than the Hilton or the HGI FWIW.
s777bg likes this.

Last edited by craig44485; May 7, 2021 at 7:03 pm
Old Jan 11, 2021, 11:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I stayed at the TWA hotel a couple months ago between flights. I would suggest booking something about the lowest category rooms. At the time, the lowest price showing on their website was $141 prepaid plus taxes. Note that there's a seven day cancel policy on refundable rates and generally no discounted rate plans such as AAA etc.
s777bg likes this.
Old May 5, 2021, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by craig44485
JFK Hilton is nothing special, only real advantage it had over the HGI was the EL, bit with COVID that is most likely closed. As a Diamond I always ended up on the EL floor, thats about it. No suite upgrade and its just your basic Hilton room that,I made add, is in need of a significant freshening up. Location of TWA is also much better than the Hilton or the HGI FWIW.
When I was last there years ago, the club lounge had free beer and wine. Is that still the case (or at least up until Covid)?
Old May 5, 2021, 10:59 am
Original Poster

I did stay at TWA in February and loved it. I had followed the advice from another thread to book the cheapest rate - and upon self check-in, there was a 20$ upgrade option to any available room, but the president suite.
esc2476 likes this.
Old May 5, 2021, 1:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
My only JFK Hilton experience was at the Hampton Inn, from what I remember was acceptable although that was a while ago and well before I was "involved" with hotels/points etc.

I think my lasting memory was the shuttle driver who asked if I was going to give him a tip. From what I remember (it was 8 years ago) I gave him my Subway ticket which still had a few days left.
Old May 5, 2021, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
I stayed at the HGI on 134th overnight before a morning flight out of JFK in late January.
Airport shuttle is not in operation, and they have a 3rd party delivery service for diamond breakfast- you call them up, give them your order from a list of options, and a delivery time.
Paid parking, but there was open parking on the street in front of the hotel.
Old May 6, 2021, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by Schwann
My only JFK Hilton experience was at the Hampton Inn, from what I remember was acceptable although that was a while ago and well before I was "involved" with hotels/points etc.

I think my lasting memory was the shuttle driver who asked if I was going to give him a tip. From what I remember (it was 8 years ago) I gave him my Subway ticket which still had a few days left.
Stayed there last November, covid breakfast was bad, a bagel, an apple, oat meal packet, a cereal bar, and a 8 oz bottle of water

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.