Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Waldorf Astoria Monarch Beach Resort, Dana Point {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waldorf Astoria Monarch Beach Resort, Dana Point {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2021, 11:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
I decided to use my American Express Hilton free weekend night award at the Waldorf Astoria Monarch Beach resort when I saw that prices for a standard room were around $700 a night. I was not disappointed.

I previously had stayed here when the property was a St. Regis around 2013/14. Back then, the hotel was the epitome of luxury and high class. Since that date, the hotel has been operated independently as the Monarch Beach resort hotel and has now joined the Hilton stable of brands under the Waldorf Astoria.

The hotel certainly feels far less “stuffy” than when it was St Regis. There is a light airy breezy feel about the place thanks to pastel hues alongside white and blue furnishings in the main lobby.

I actually had a very similar room to the one I had when I stayed under SPG. It was already in great condition and it looks have undergone a delightful refresh which now sees accented walls in bright colours together with a general all-round refit with the carpets also feeling newly laid.

The main restaurant has also undergone a complete overhaul and in times of Covid one has to sit out on the terrace… not that’s a problem!

The views over the golf course and Pacific Ocean are beautiful and again the restaurant feels far less stuffy and hoity-toity then when it was under the St. Regis brand.

The swimming pool area is a delight to relax in and was not very busy at all on the weekend we visited. It could be a little warmer but I was pleased to be able to enjoy one of the three hot tubs on property. Many other hotels have decided to close their hot tubs during the coronavirus pandemic.

The staff were also exceptionally friendly we received a lovely welcome from Lucas who was present at the front desk. I was able to secure a 3pm late checkout which was extended several times during our final day at the property. I found this to be quite agreeable and was grateful they were so amenable to my request.

Overall I would definitely return this property and at $700 a night it is the ideal place to use the free night award that many people receive with their credit cards.

I didn’t just receive a basic room but was upgraded to a premium room which was enormous and perfect for sleeping with two adults and three kids.

Also a benefit with booking with points or an award night is that the hotel waives its $55 resort fee... another nice surprise as a Diamond member! I was also given another $50 in resort credit. A win-win all round.

Also anyone looking for a closer look at the rooms through the eyes of Curb Your Enthusiasm's Larry David should check out the latest season of the HBO comedy. Season 10, episode 4 sees Larry and his chums visiting the hotel (which the show claimed was in Mexico at Playa Mariposa!) However one of the story arcs sees Larry comparing the room he got (which was a basic room) to all his other friends which whose rooms are far superior!

You get to have a look at several different rooms including the presidential suite. I watched the show again while on site so I could see where the crew must have filmed. It was interesting to note that they ended up using a parallel check-in desk directly across from the normal check-in desks. A wedding was also held in the exact spot where weddings are usually held at the resort.

As for the hotel coffee? Well, say no more!

A good advert for the hotel and one that will remain for posterity.

It’s a very funny episode and a lot of fun to watch, much like the hotel.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 8:54 pm

Programs: Globalist, Diamond via Aspire
Originally Posted by Wintertiger
I am a Diamond through Aspire and Hyatt Globalist. With 9 and 5 yrs old, should I redeem 380k for WA or 100K for park hyatt aviara for the later part of the year? WA means more food choices around and PH is close to Legoland. TIA.
I can answer my own question now.

We eventually settled with 4 nights at PH and 2 nights at WA (using free night certs). PH is the winner for sure.

We were upgraded to a premium room with pool view on the app. Room is OK nothing specially good or bad. Pool is old and poolside service is almost non-existent. Private beach looks nice from distance but meh once you walk on it. Beach Club was too full to try the food. $50 breakfast credit has to be used before 11am. Phone# on valet card cannot be reached, had to ask the FD to help. After we co, we walked down to the lobby and found our car were still in the garage. Everyone is nice there but the service isn't that great.

WA is an OK place to use certs but I wont spent 95000 points on it, let alone $650+ cash rate.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 4:59 pm

Programs: United MM, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
We just had a one night stay using a cert. Cash rates are running about $1200 a night right now. Everything went well. $25 per person credit. All the restaurants are open and booked. Make reservations in advance. We were able to get in to Beach Club but had to go early.

We really enjoyed our stay. Staff was all very helpful and friendly. $60 for parking was a little over the top but the resort fee was waived.

My wife is already asking to return.
DiverDave and Traveler Dave like this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 9:29 am

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Plat, Marriot Plat
Given the same 95K per night cost, any recommendations whether to pick the Oceana Santa Monica or the WA Monarch Beach for Dec 24-26? I'll be traveling with my GF the entire week and we'll be going up to Ventana Big Sur for a few days before stopping in Santa Barbara and finally heading to LA or SD for Christmas. Learning toward the WA as this will allow us to explore SD area since we've never been there while we've been to the Santa Monica area twice before. Though, it seems that Santa Monica will have more nice dining options closeby for a nice Christmas dinner or would the WA restaurants be good enough?
Old Oct 15, 2021, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Anyone have any recent experiences if the food options at the hotel trigger the $250 resort hotel credit on the Aspire AMEX if you are not staying there? If so, is it only specific places or do all the options? Hoping a dinner at Bourbon Steak or Aveo paid for with my Aspire card would trigger the credit since we will be in the area and the option to use the $250 credit is going to expire soon.

Last edited by christianj; Oct 15, 2021 at 9:48 am
Old Oct 15, 2021, 3:17 pm

no--by rule you must be sating at the hotel
Old Nov 25, 2021, 9:44 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
We had an outstanding stay at this hotel recently. Contrary to some of the posts above, service was excellent at every juncture, from the valet to the front desk to the pool to the restaurants and tram drivers. When I approached the pool, an attendant immediately set up a chair (with great view of the Pacific) and a waitress shortly arrived to ask if I wanted to order anything. The pool was sparsely populated at noon on a weekday. I was surprised, though, by the seemingly high percentage of guests that were families. There were lawn games for kids.

We were upgraded to a fireside terrace room, which is a ground floor room with a patio with a firepit. It's a really nice setup, especially since you can exit and enter your room via the patio. We were given a room facing the South Lawn so that we could have a late checkout, but we ended up appreciating facing that direction rather than toward the pool, as it was quiet and warm/bright (due to sun position).

The walk to the beach club was confusing - be sure to get good directions. Dinner at the beach club was outstanding, with an amazing sunset. Outdoor dining there is on the deck. There are some tables with firepits down on the lawn/sand area, but there is no waiter service down there.

The tram driver mentioned that the hotel has secured a permit to build a lazy river. He seemed to indicate that it would be on the east side of the hotel near the north wing, which seemed strange. He also mentioned that the golf restaurant is finally about to re-open - the delay has been due to a lack of staff.

Some of the prices, especially for breakfast at Aveo, were truly outrageous. The orange juice, while delicious and a huge glass, was $10. This is an example of how the $25 credit is not enough, as even a "continental" item like oatmeal is $17, so that plus a juice is $27 before tax/tip.

All told, this was a tremendous use of the Aspire free night cert, given that our room was going for nearly $1000.
flockavelliFT likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 10:54 am

I'm not seeing any standard room rewards/95K available here for all of 2022. Do you think it's a technical issue on their end or are they really sold out?
Old Mar 3, 2022, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by wendydarling33
I'm not seeing any standard room rewards/95K available here for all of 2022. Do you think it's a technical issue on their end or are they really sold out?

Last edited by Boringbarry; Mar 26, 2022 at 8:38 pm
Old May 12, 2022, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wendydarling33
We're going net week for a 5-night staycation (on points), so I'll report back on how it was.

I don't know how you were searching, but I can say that we didn't have that much trouble finding a 5-night stay (though of course late May isn't exactly peak for OC). On the other hand, I did notice something strange: When I searched for 1-2 nights at a time, it always came up at the premium rate. When I searched for 3-5 nights, however, it reverted to the standard rate. So I guess they don't want people staying on points for less than 3 nights... Can they do that? Strange.

What I can't get over is what they want to charge us for bringing our small dog. $200 as a "nonrefundable deposit" (how is this different than a "charge"?) and a $75 per night "lodging fee." That's plumb loco in my book, but I guess we're stuck with it. I've never seen such exorbitant pet charges before...
Old May 12, 2022, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
This hotel is very close to the big fire destroying 20 or so homes yesterday. Not sure you will be affected...just making sure you know.
Old May 12, 2022, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by BlueZebra
This hotel is very close to the big fire destroying 20 or so homes yesterday. Not sure you will be affected...just making sure you know.
thanks for the heads up…

not going for a couple of weeks so we’ll see what shakes out
Old May 13, 2022, 4:37 pm

FWIW The Dana Point Doubletree is worth consideration.
Stayed there many times. Usually small but v. comfortable, stylish, two room suites.
Rooftop bar.
Walking distance to harbor, restaurants, town center. Prices a fraction of Monarch.

https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/sna...Vic2l0ZQ%3D%3D

Then I moved to Dana Point. 30 mins walk to the harbor.

Last edited by hotscot; May 13, 2022 at 4:42 pm
Old May 14, 2022, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by hotscot
Stayed there many times. Usually small but v. comfortable, stylish, two room suites.
Rooftop bar.
Walking distance to harbor, restaurants, town center. Prices a fraction of Monarch.

https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/sna...Vic2l0ZQ%3D%3D

Then I moved to Dana Point. 30 mins walk to the harbor.
We've stayed there several times, when we used to live on the east coast and came in for periodic family visits. The "named" suites are excellent, and the outside bar is indeed nice. Now that we live out here, though, we are looking for something a bit more upscale. Good recommendation, though!
Old May 14, 2022, 4:34 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by hotscot
I stayed there not too long after it opened. It was not a happy experience.

No upgrade on a one night stay despite available rooms. Many problems with old style swipe room keys (I'm sure they have been replaced since then). If you want your stay to be miserable, having a room where you can't get in half of the time would be the ticket.

The staff's response was simply terrible. I was told I didn't know how to swipe the keys properly. I said excuse me I spend 100 nights a year in hotels and this is the only place where I can't get the keys to work? I don't think so.

They finally sent somebody up to clean the reader and that helped.

More on topic I am definitely going to give the WA a try. Up to now I have been a Hilton Waterfront fanboy, but my contact that got me upgrades moved to the desert.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.