Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton family hotels near nature? Looking for suggestions!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2020, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

I live in Central California (Monterey area) and would love suggestions of a Hilton family hotel for a 3-4 night stay that is somewhere in the western US (a 12 to 14-hour drive at the most). I am looking for something close to nature, a National Park, great hiking trails, etc. I have stayed at the Waldorf Astoria Park City and would enjoy a place similar to that. The catch is that I am traveling with a 50-lb dog which does limit my options. The timeframe to travel would be this October or November. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Old Sep 1, 2020, 4:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC there's some Hilton family property in Sedona, AZ, but I don't recall the brand.

Note that November could be cold in some places, while October is more likely to be good hiking weather if that's what you want.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 6:39 pm

Programs: DL reject, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Jelly of the Month, formerly NWA Plat (RIP)
Maybe St George, Utah. Close to Zion NP and Grand Canyon. Nothing on par with the WA, but there is Hampton, HGI and Tru. Not sure about their pet policies.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Moab Utah, close to both Arches and Canyonlands NPs, with both a Hampton and a Homewood.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LostInAmerica
Maybe St George, Utah. Close to Zion NP and Grand Canyon. Nothing on par with the WA, but there is Hampton, HGI and Tru. Not sure about their pet policies.
Not that close to the Grand Canyon, though there's not much closer if you're going to North Rim, but North Rim can close mid-October due to weather.

Flagstaff AZ is much closer to the main part (South Rim) of the Grand Canyon, and has a Hampton, a DoubleTree, and HGI, and an Embassy Suites.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 6:46 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Moab Utah, close to both Arches and Canyonlands NPs, with both a Hampton and a Homewood.
It’s not a WA but we had a really excellent experience with the Homewood in Moab in 2018
Old Sep 2, 2020, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC there's some Hilton family property in Sedona, AZ, but I don't recall the brand.

Note that November could be cold in some places, while October is more likely to be good hiking weather if that's what you want.

Hi.

The hotel is the hilton Sedona resort. It is in the village of osk creek about 6 miles south of Sedona itself. You can walk through oak creek on the paved sidewalks to bell rock with some trails or you can drive.

The pointe hilton tapatio cliffs in phoenix is across the road from a mountain preserve park with trails which go up a hill there is a visitor centre also. The terrain is more desert with saguaro cactus

The el Conquistadors on the outskirts of Tucson may have trails also
Regards

Tbs
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 8:23 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by LostInAmerica
Even closer to Zion is Springdale, UT. Two Hilton properties there, only the Hampton Inn allows pets ($75 fee). Not sure what the policies are on having dogs on Zion NP trails.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 9:45 am

Programs: HH Diamond
There is also the Hoodoo Moab, which is part of the Curio Collection. It opened this year.
lowfareair and dmarge18 like this.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Even closer to Zion is Springdale, UT. Two Hilton properties there, only the Hampton Inn allows pets ($75 fee). Not sure what the policies are on having dogs on Zion NP trails.
Thanks! It is one I am considering. Dog friendly trails at Zion are limited but there are fun things to explore outside of the park.

Originally Posted by Jase0581
There is also the Hoodoo Moab, which is part of the Curio Collection. It opened this year.
No pets, unfortunately - it looks like a beautiful hotel and great location!

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi.

The hotel is the hilton Sedona resort. It is in the village of osk creek about 6 miles south of Sedona itself. You can walk through oak creek on the paved sidewalks to bell rock with some trails or you can drive.

The pointe hilton tapatio cliffs in phoenix is across the road from a mountain preserve park with trails which go up a hill there is a visitor centre also. The terrain is more desert with saguaro cactus

The el Conquistadors on the outskirts of Tucson may have trails also
Regards

Tbs
Thanks, I will check those out!

Not that close to the Grand Canyon, though there's not much closer if you're going to North Rim, but North Rim can close mid-October due to weather.

Flagstaff AZ is much closer to the main part (South Rim) of the Grand Canyon, and has a Hampton, a DoubleTree, and HGI, and an Embassy Suites.
Thanks! Flagstaff could be a good option.

Last edited by Canarsie; Sep 2, 2020 at 11:37 am Reason: Consolidation.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I'd second the comments about the Moab and Flagstaff areas. Also, Jackson, WY has a Hampton and a Homewood; you can never go wrong with Grand Tetons (and Yellowstone is close).

Also, if you ever venture east (obviously not what you're asking for this post, but...), the Lodge at Gulf St Park in Gulf Shores, AL, is fantastic for outdoors with the beach and trails in the park.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 1:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by dmarge18

Also, if you ever venture east (obviously not what you're asking for this post, but...), the Lodge at Gulf St Park in Gulf Shores, AL, is fantastic for outdoors with the beach and trails in the park.
This was my thought too when I saw the subject line. Beautiful area surrounding the hotel.
InkUnderNails and dmarge18 like this.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
I recently stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn In Bend, Oregon. Bend would an amazing jumping off point, but unfortunately looks like none of the Hilton properties there are pet friendly.

We actually made 7 different stops over 2 weeks in Oregon and there is beauty, nature, and hikes everywhere. And supposedly they get nice weather in October and even into November. Filtering the Hilton properties in Oregon for allowing pets, looks like two areas outside of Portland to get you close to nature. The Hampton in Hood River and the Hampton or Homewood in Medford (Hood River being very close - Medford more of a central jumping off location).
Old Sep 3, 2020, 8:11 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Hampton Inn in Truckee CA
Old Sep 3, 2020, 10:04 am

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
I just got back from Durango, Colorado. very nice town. close to mesa verde natl park. however the best thing is drive from Durango to Ouray. beautiful country. 3 Hilton properties. may be a bit far for you though.
cblaisd likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.