Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

VERY high-priced Honors redemption rates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VERY high-priced Honors redemption rates

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2020, 7:53 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
Back to the Grand Wailea, Standard Awards are 95K/night. Like most hotels, the Premium Awards at the GW are ridiculously priced.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 8:27 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by BearX220
Like every travel provider with a loyalty / points program, Hilton has every incentive at the moment to throttle redemptions. A lot of people are sitting on big points / miles balances after cancelling 2020 stays and redepositing, and the providers need cash.
Makes sense. However, I think it’s unreasonable for properties to completely turn off the ability to pay with the “points and money” option.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 2:15 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
I have been planning a few trips for Dec 2020 to Feb 21 and redemption rates are ridiculous, way cheaper to pay cash as no decent point value. Even if you purchased points at the recent 100% bonus sale it would cost more with points. Only bargain I got was at the HGI Bali near the airport for one night at 5,000 pts vs paying over US$100. IHG, on the other hand, has some very good point rates at a lot of places I checked for my trips. This was checking Hilton and IHG for Chile in December, and SIN, BKK, Bali, TPE and Sapporo for Jan//Feb. Currently, IHG point rates in Vancouver are about half their usual rate for dates I checked Dec - Feb, Hilton’s rates are very high, even with 5 th night free.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by aww3583
Makes sense. However, I think it’s unreasonable for properties to completely turn off the ability to pay with the “points and money” option.
Scared companies acting in their own self interest in the short term do a lot of things that might not come off as objectively reasonable, or helpful to their cause in the long run.
TSTraveler likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 9:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tobegold
I have been planning a few trips for Dec 2020 to Feb 21 and redemption rates are ridiculous, way cheaper to pay cash as no decent point value. Even if you purchased points at the recent 100% bonus sale it would cost more with points. Only bargain I got was at the HGI Bali near the airport for one night at 5,000 pts vs paying over US$100. IHG, on the other hand, has some very good point rates at a lot of places I checked for my trips. This was checking Hilton and IHG for Chile in December, and SIN, BKK, Bali, TPE and Sapporo for Jan//Feb. Currently, IHG point rates in Vancouver are about half their usual rate for dates I checked Dec - Feb, Hilton’s rates are very high, even with 5 th night free.
I’ve always found Hilton award rates to be wildly overpriced. I’ve always assumed that’s the result of way too many points being awarded and bonuses over the years, causing the inflation that inevitably happens as a result.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by TSTraveler
I’ve always found Hilton award rates to be wildly overpriced. I’ve always assumed that’s the result of way too many points being awarded and bonuses over the years, causing the inflation that inevitably happens as a result.
Inflation is inevitable with all currencies including points and miles -- some of us who've been around for awhile have fond memories of 55k business class roundtrips across the Atlantic, etc. Some programs manage inflation better than others. Those giant signup bonuses we like getting from Amex, etc. always lead eventually to costlier redemptions.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BearX220
Inflation is inevitable with all currencies including points and miles -- some of us who've been around for awhile have fond memories of 55k business class roundtrips across the Atlantic, etc. Some programs manage inflation better than others. Those giant signup bonuses we like getting from Amex, etc. always lead eventually to costlier redemptions.
I don't find Hyatt or Marriott award prices to be nearly as overpriced. In fact, I find most Hyatt and Marriott awards to be bargains compared to the relative value I get with Hilton.

Last edited by TSTraveler; Jun 15, 2020 at 8:35 am
Old Jun 15, 2020, 6:24 am

Finding more and more properties offering standard and premium rooms for cash rates, but a warning on the search results page saying "Paying with Points is not available at this property".
Old Jun 15, 2020, 3:05 pm

Marriott just announced 5,500 of their 7,000+ properties will be offering off-peak rewards pricing through 7/31.

Wonder if Hilton will follow suit.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 11:11 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Southwest RR, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE
Just booked Hampton Inn & Suites South Lake Buena Vista (FL) for $51 on 7/2. The points rate was 15,000 points. Can’t remember points stay being that low, since the points devaluation a while back.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by aww3583
Marriott just announced 5,500 of their 7,000+ properties will be offering off-peak rewards pricing through 7/31.

Wonder if Hilton will follow suit.
I tried looking at Phoenix redemptions using Marriott points. I was seeing .25 cpp all over the city. LOL, Hilton beats that without a special. Maybe Phoenix has highly inflated point valuations, but who vacations in 115 degree heat in July 200 miles from an ocean beach? Summer is low season for Phoenix. You would think if you were trying to goose occupancy you would cut cash rates AND point rates.

Vegas was similar. Maybe there are amazeballs values somewhere but I wasn’t finding them.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 12:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I tried looking at Phoenix redemptions using Marriott points. I was seeing .25 cpp all over the city. LOL, Hilton beats that without a special. Maybe Phoenix has highly inflated point valuations, but who vacations in 115 degree heat in July 200 miles from an ocean beach? Summer is low season for Phoenix. You would think if you were trying to goose occupancy you would cut cash rates AND point rates.

Vegas was similar. Maybe there are amazeballs values somewhere but I wasn’t finding them.
I think your rather anecdotal analysis is obviously very limited in scope and doesn’t at all reveal what you hope it might.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by TSTraveler
I think your rather anecdotal analysis is obviously very limited in scope and doesn’t at all reveal what you hope it might.
Sure, I mean I literally SAID maybe there was something awesome somewhere, but I went into this thinking "cool, I'll find something interesting to use Marriott points in locations where I might do travel in the next few months" and found... nothing that made me think spending Marriott points was a good idea in those markets, even doing a promo?

I mean, really, do I WANT to spend 40k Marriott points on a Courtyard in Phoenix I found for $100 cash all-in? (That's no lie, that was the kind of stuff I found.) The comparable HGI not too far away was 25k for about the same cash price.

I don't doubt that Marriott has better points value than Hilton but it's not exactly that hard to find "here, get .25-.35 cents per point on this Residence Inn" either. Hilton will at least send the points rate down when cash prices are super depressed.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jun 28, 2020 at 2:02 pm
Old Jun 29, 2020, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Points values are terrible where the Dream Away is offered. Considering it’s fully flex, just like BAR, there can only be 5+ night stays where there is a chance to get some sort of deal.

50k Hilton points on a €169 rate is a joke.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.