Wiki Posts
Search

Warm pool/Resort Suggestion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Warm pool/Resort Suggestion

I am looking to take the family away from the cold for a few days in mid-march.

Ideally, something with a great pool/watersides for the family.

Thus far, I have found the Hilton Squaw Peak, which seems to tick the boxes.

Are there better ones out there, something I'm missing?
Old Feb 24, 2020, 2:50 pm

Hawaii or Orlando resorts?
Old Feb 24, 2020, 4:25 pm

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Thailand?
Old Feb 24, 2020, 4:48 pm

If you are looking for a pool and water park (not beach etc.) I think Orlando is likely to be the most logical option.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
I think the OP is looking for on site waterslides. Hilton Bonnet Creek has one but it is small.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
I think the OP is looking for on site waterslides. Hilton Bonnet Creek has one but it is small.
The Hilton Orlando was built around the same time at Hilton Bonnet Creek. It also has a small waterslide and a lazy river.

https://www.thehiltonorlando.com/dis...nd-lazy-river/

(Slide is the blue structure in top left photo. Click the link above for a larger resolution photo.)

Full Disclosure: I've never stayed at the Hilton Orlando.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 7:53 am

Programs: Delta Gold, HH Gold
I have stayed at the Orlando Hilton and much prefer it to Bonnet Creek. At Bonnet Creek the chairs are packed together so tightly you can barely move - there is much more space around the pool at the Orlando Hilton, and the pool complex is very nice. They also have ping pong and foosball, as well as a basket ball court. The last time I was there they had fire pits going at night, and sold the makings for S'mores. Know you will have to pay for parking, as well as the resort fee. There are many restaurants nearby if you have a car so you can save money on food that way. But the restaurant at the pool is decent, and they will even serve you at your lounger around the pool.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 10:52 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Delta Tupperware Medallion, National EE
I like the Hilton Rose Hall Resort in Montego Bay Jamaica. Has a couple of water slides and a nice lazy river. If also has a zero-depth entry pool if the kids are small.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 2:44 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I like the Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak. A major plus for me vs. alternatives in Florida and the Caribbean is that I can fly to Phoenix in less than 2 hours. It makes a good three-day getaway when a full week trip cross-country is not feasible.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all.

The Squaw Peak seems to be the winner. I am trying to avoid Orlando as it will somehow cost me Disney even if we don't plan to go.

I was hoping there would be a JW Marriott San Antonio kind of place in the Hilton portfolio. I think Squaw Peak seems to be the only one
Old Feb 26, 2020, 9:44 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by lcohen999
Thank you all.

The Squaw Peak seems to be the winner. I am trying to avoid Orlando as it will somehow cost me Disney even if we don't plan to go.

I was hoping there would be a JW Marriott San Antonio kind of place in the Hilton portfolio. I think Squaw Peak seems to be the only one
The Hilton South Mountain was a similar (I'd say even better) type of property, but it left the Hilton family a while ago (10-15 years I think). It is now the Arizona Grand, but still has a similar or even better layout.

Hilton Squaw Peak is an ok property (I went there for many events when I lived in Phoenix), but rather old. I'd definitely check out the thread here in this forum before you settle for it. The Biltmore, Tapatio Cliffs, and the Doubletree Resort in Scottsdale all have decent pools. You may also want to check on the Boulders, but that is rather far if you want to do almost anything in town.
I really enjoyed the El Conquistador near Tucson, but the pools there are just pools, no lazy river. Although the Oro Valley Aquatic Center is nearby (but I'm not sure if the slides are open outside of summer). If you're willing to look outside of Hilton, the Westin la Paloma is probably the best choice in Arizona.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 9:55 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Thank you all.

Just be aware that Phoenix won't necessarily be "hot" in mid March.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aztimm
The Hilton South Mountain was a similar (I'd say even better) type of property, but it left the Hilton family a while ago (10-15 years I think). It is now the Arizona Grand, but still has a similar or even better layout.

Hilton Squaw Peak is an ok property (I went there for many events when I lived in Phoenix), but rather old. I'd definitely check out the thread here in this forum before you settle for it. The Biltmore, Tapatio Cliffs, and the Doubletree Resort in Scottsdale all have decent pools. You may also want to check on the Boulders, but that is rather far if you want to do almost anything in town.
I really enjoyed the El Conquistador near Tucson, but the pools there are just pools, no lazy river. Although the Oro Valley Aquatic Center is nearby (but I'm not sure if the slides are open outside of summer). If you're willing to look outside of Hilton, the Westin la Paloma is probably the best choice in Arizona.
I would rather east coast actually, or more central . The JW Marriott SA would be a great choice as would the Gaylord Texan. It is just marriott points I do not necessarily have.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 3:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I would rather east coast actually, or more central . The JW Marriott SA would be a great choice as would the Gaylord Texan. It is just marriott points I do not necessarily have.
If you're going to San Antonio, IMHO the Hyatt Hill Country has a much better water area than the JW (I've stayed at and done events at both). The nearby Hilton San Antonio Hill Country has a pool, but it isn't anything special. If you're going to that area and want Hilton, might as well just stay close to the Riverwalk.
The nice thing about the Gaylord is the water area is mostly inside, so even if the weather doesn't cooperate you can use it (there is an outside pool too). I did an event there also, and would definitely recommend that property. I can't think of any Hilton properties in the DFW area with a decent pool; the Hilton Southlake is OK, but I wouldn't fly in specifically for that.

Have you considered Galveston or Corpus Christi/South Padre Island? I don't know much about the Hilton properties along the gulf, but the water *might* be warm enough for kids to go in (South Padre is a big Spring Break area). It really depends on weather; since I've been in Texas, March can be warm--with temps near 100F--or it can be cool with freeze warnings.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aztimm
If you're going to San Antonio, IMHO the Hyatt Hill Country has a much better water area than the JW (I've stayed at and done events at both). The nearby Hilton San Antonio Hill Country has a pool, but it isn't anything special. If you're going to that area and want Hilton, might as well just stay close to the Riverwalk.
The nice thing about the Gaylord is the water area is mostly inside, so even if the weather doesn't cooperate you can use it (there is an outside pool too). I did an event there also, and would definitely recommend that property. I can't think of any Hilton properties in the DFW area with a decent pool; the Hilton Southlake is OK, but I wouldn't fly in specifically for that.

Have you considered Galveston or Corpus Christi/South Padre Island? I don't know much about the Hilton properties along the gulf, but the water *might* be warm enough for kids to go in (South Padre is a big Spring Break area). It really depends on weather; since I've been in Texas, March can be warm--with temps near 100F--or it can be cool with freeze warnings.
I actually know South Padre Island very well. From YYZ, would be a bit of a pain to get to with the family.

I guess in the end, TL;DR, move marriott points for a vacation like this

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.