Search

Difficult to redeem free night

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2020, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, WN, JB, Hilton Honors, Starwood
Difficult to redeem free night

Hi,

I booked the Alexandra Curio in Barcelona a full year out and got the least expensive room. My free night certificate came in a few months later. When I called Hilton to convert one of my paid nights to a free night I was told I could not use it because The hotel did not call the least expensive room standard. They have no rooms labeled standard.

Has anyone experience this? If so were you successful in getting your free night?

Thank you

ML
Old Feb 18, 2020, 9:50 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I was successful a couple of years ago in Bath, UK

Originally Posted by Mary Louise
Hi,

I booked the Alexandra Curio in Barcelona a full year out and got the least expensive room. My free night certificate came in a few months later. When I called Hilton to convert one of my paid nights to a free night I was told I could not use it because The hotel did not call the least expensive room standard. They have no rooms labeled standard.

Has anyone experience this? If so were you successful in getting your free night?

Thank you

ML
when I called they agreed to give me the room with the free night when I emailed a screen shot to show that they NEVER had any rooms called standard.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 10:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Oh wow. I wonder if you should reach out to the Hilton Ambassador here. The hotel is attempting to cheat the system by calling all their rooms premium reward nights (even when the rate is the normal standard rate for their lowest level room).
Old Feb 19, 2020, 4:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by squeakr
when I called they agreed to give me the room with the free night when I emailed a screen shot to show that they NEVER had any rooms called standard.
Good idea I will try that, who did you email, the hotel directly or HH? I spoke to someone at HH and not the hotel directly I want to make sure that I send the email to the correct person.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 5:19 am

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
If you're looking at the first week of February, a major trade show has moved to Barcelona for their first year in the city after having outgrown Amsterdam!! I just did a search of the hotel closest to the convention center, and it's fully booked!! I could stay at the Alexandra for 300K points or 700+ Euros per night!! But I don't think so!!! Insane!!

Last edited by Arthurrs; Feb 19, 2020 at 5:41 am
Old Feb 19, 2020, 6:20 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Sounds like some details are missing. I have never had an issue booking a free night or even finding a hotel that doesn't offer "standard nights". It could be that you selected a high-demand week and they are currently sold out. I would keep checking.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Super Mario
Sounds like some details are missing. I have never had an issue booking a free night or even finding a hotel that doesn't offer "standard nights". It could be that you selected a high-demand week and they are currently sold out. I would keep checking.
I was thinking the same thing, however looking at this hotel it doesn't appear that standard awards are ever available. The lowest price room is typically the Queen Superior, and that is always a Premium Reward.

I spot checked random dates all throughout the next year, and then used flexible dates and scrolled through, no Standard Reward rooms are ever available.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
I was thinking the same thing, however looking at this hotel it doesn't appear that standard awards are ever available. The lowest price room is typically the Queen Superior, and that is always a Premium Reward.

I spot checked random dates all throughout the next year, and then used flexible dates and scrolled through, no Standard Reward rooms are ever available.

You are correct the least expensive room is a queen superior. However they would allow me to use the free night, but there are no rooms.

However I booked a queen superior and wanted to convert one of my nights to a free one, but it is not allowed as there are no more queen rooms available. Therefore I cannot use my certificate.

ML

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.