Wiki Posts
Search

Breakfast Benefits for Gold

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2020, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Breakfast Benefits for Gold

Having decided to cross the floor from Marriott to Hilton, I’m wondering about the breakfast benefit for gold (before anyone jumps and tells me to get the Aspire or whatever card for diamond status, note I’m Canadian): specifically, do I always need to trade my welcome amenity points (eg 1000 or 500 points) for free breakfast at all the Hilton properties (including all brands)? Any exceptions in terms of brand or region?

Generally speaking, 1000 Hilton points are with about $5 to me so breakfast is always a better option if I can only pick one between points and breakfast. However at some Marriott hotels, especially in Asia, they give breakfast for free even when lounge isn’t available, while still giving me the 1000 welcome amenity points.

On the Hilton mobile app I have sent all my references to choose breakfast over welcome points but wondering if that’s wise
Old Jan 2, 2020, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Unless breakfast is a benefit provided to all by the brand, you must choose breakfast instead of points (Diamonds get both).
From the Hilton Honors terms and conditions:
Choose a My Way On-Property benefit. Click this link to view the choices at each hotel brand within the Hilton Portfolio. At Waldorf Astoria® Hotels & Resorts, Conrad® Hotels & Resorts, Canopy™ by Hilton, Hilton Hotels & Resorts, Curio - A Collection by Hilton and DoubleTree by Hilton™ and Tapestry Collection by Hilton™ properties, Gold Hilton Honors Members may be upgraded to preferred rooms up to Executive Floor room types. Preferred rooms may also include those not on the Executive Floor but conferring Executive Lounge access, the next-best available room types, rooms with desirable views or amenities or other rooms identified as “preferred” by the hotel and may vary within each brand. Group reservations and certain rates are not eligible for complimentary upgrades. All upgrades are granted on a space-available basis for the entire stay, as determined at the time of arrival. Upgrades will be given only for one room for the member, regardless of additional rooms the member may have purchased at or after the time of booking. The following brands do not offer complimentary upgrades: Embassy Suites™, Hilton Garden Inn®, Hampton by Hilton™, Tru by Hilton™, Homewood Suites by Hilton®, Home2 Suites by Hilton®, and Hilton Grand Vacations®.
The My Way choices:
MY WAY GOLD MEMBERSHIP HOTEL BENEFITS:

Waldorf Astoria™ Hotels & Resorts
  • Space-available upgrade to a preferred room
  • 1,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points per stay or a daily complimentary continental breakfast in the hotel's designated restaurant for you and up to one additional guest registered to the same room each day of your stay
Conrad® Hotels & Resorts, Curio - A Collection by Hilton, DoubleTree by Hilton™, Hilton Hotels & Resorts, LXR Hotels & Resorts and Tapestry Collection by Hilton™
  • 1,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points per stay or a complimentary continental breakfast for you and up to one additional guest registered to the same room each day of your stay
Canopy™ by Hilton
  • 500 Hilton Honors Bonus Points per stay or a complimentary continental breakfast for you and up to one additional guest registered to the same room each day of your stay
Embassy Suites Hotels™
  • 500 Hilton Honors Bonus Points per stay or two snack/refreshment choices per stay
Hilton Garden Inn™
  • 750 Hilton Honors Bonus Points per stay or a complimentary Hot Cooked-to-Order Breakfast for you and up to one additional guest registered to the same room each day of your stay
Hampton by Hilton™
  • 250 Hilton Honors Bonus Points per stay or choice of snack and non-alcoholic beverage
Tru by Hilton™
  • 250 Hilton Honors Bonus Points per stay or choice of snack and 2 bottles of water per stay
Homewood Suites by Hilton™
  • 250 Hilton Honors Bonus Points per stay or two bottles of water and sweet snack per stay
Home2 Suites by Hilton™
  • 100 Hilton Honors Bonus Points per stay or choice of snack and bottled water per stay
Hilton Grand Vacations™
  • 1,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points per stay
Old Jan 2, 2020, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Unless breakfast is a benefit provided to all by the brand, you must choose breakfast instead of points (Diamonds get both).
From the Hilton Honors terms and conditions:

The My Way choices:
Thank you!
Old Jan 2, 2020, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
Having decided to cross the floor from Marriott to Hilton, I’m wondering about the breakfast benefit for gold (before anyone jumps and tells me to get the Aspire or whatever card for diamond status, note I’m Canadian): specifically, do I always need to trade my welcome amenity points (eg 1000 or 500 points) for free breakfast at all the Hilton properties (including all brands)? Any exceptions in terms of brand or region?

Generally speaking, 1000 Hilton points are with about $5 to me so breakfast is always a better option if I can only pick one between points and breakfast. However at some Marriott hotels, especially in Asia, they give breakfast for free even when lounge isn’t available, while still giving me the 1000 welcome amenity points.

On the Hilton mobile app I have sent all my references to choose breakfast over welcome points but wondering if that’s wise
In my settings I have it set to points rather than breakfast, in China I have always got upgraded to an executive floor room (only about 20 stays so relatively small sample size) and enjoyed breakfast and the points, sometimes in the lounge and sometimes in the restaurant, In Hanoi however I was told if I wanted breakfast I wasn't eligible for the points upon check-in, so obviously I chose the breakfast.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 1:23 am

Programs: UA 1K
I always go for the breakfast. At the Conrad Hong Kong I got the executive lounge floor and but never had breakfast at the lounge. The restaurant had far better options.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:44 am

Programs: MP, Marriott, HHonors
I've been staying at HGIs the past few times and they usually ask at check in regardless of my settings. Although, I have had a problem in the past where I forgot to change it and they wouldn't let me have comped breakfast. I do always refuse the snacks/drinks at Hampton even though the 250 points are hardly worth it.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 11:23 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Benefit for multiple rooms?

So as Gold, I booked and personally (separately) paid for three rooms at HGI in Canton, MA. But I only received $20 allowance on one of the three rooms. Shouldn't I get the same credit for the other 2 rooms?
Old Sep 14, 2021, 11:31 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
I have my settings set to points.

But I find as a Gold I am normally offered breakfast too.

Having said that I seldom travel to US where Hilton properties are apparently more stingy due to volume of status holders. I have only stayed in one Embassy Suites in US where I do remember eating breakfast.

Occasionally front desk has asked if I am happy with points instead of breakfast and on these rare occasions I normally forfeit points for breakfast.

But I find I can normally get both!

Now I have made it to Diamond though due to lowered requirements this year.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elitefreak
So as Gold, I booked and personally (separately) paid for three rooms at HGI in Canton, MA. But I only received $20 allowance on one of the three rooms. Shouldn't I get the same credit for the other 2 rooms?
Under the hilton honors terms and conditions, no. A gold member is entitled to receive a breakfast benefit for the gold member and on other person staying in the same room.

You received a $20 credit for a stay at an HGI, which means you received the HGI $10 credit for 2 persons.
See also:
Hilton's new U.S. Hotels Daily Food & Beverage Credit for Elite members thru 2021
elitefreak and :D! like this.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 12:45 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by elitefreak
Think you will find that the benefit is for the member + 1 other in the room so as you can only physically be in one room it's a no to the other two (although some hotels do make exceptions to the rule)
elitefreak likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 2:57 pm

Programs: BAEC silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
UK perhaps differs

On a few occasions I have booked rooms for other family members in addition to my own (gold). UK properties seem to extend my benefits to 2 rooms.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DrAJ
On a few occasions I have booked rooms for other family members in addition to my own (gold). UK properties seem to extend my benefits to 2 rooms.
The terms and conditions are the same. Some individual properties sometimes grant privileges or benefits in excess of the benefit granted under the t and c's; it seems that UK, EU, and Asia properties are more likely to extend breakfast benefits beyond the minimum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.