Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Advance Deposit? when rate booked is not prepaid?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2019, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Platinum

Good Day All,

Have any of you come across Hilton's requiring a deposit for a room, when the rate booked is not a prepaid rate? I recently booked the Hilton Atlanta for 09DEC19 and they already charged my credit card for the full amount of $155.81. I have only ran across deposits when have group reservations or booking at particular beach destinations. Just thought was odd for downtown Atlanta.

Jwhuffman
Old Oct 28, 2019, 1:42 pm

There is a Falcons game on the 8th. It's against the Panthers so I guess they expect a lot of people to drive over. I've seen this a lot when booking for sporting events, but usually those come with much higher rates. I've had to pay for rooms for F1 races nearly a year in advance, no prepaid rate, just deposit of full amount required.
writerguyfl likes this.

Last edited by MissJ; Oct 28, 2019 at 2:39 pm
Old Oct 28, 2019, 1:49 pm

It happens. Nothing unusual if high-demand date/location.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 4:16 am

Deposits help discourage speculative reservations. As you mentioned, jwhuffman, this practice is fairly common at leisure-oriented properties. Beaches, theme parks, and Las Vegas are all examples.

But, on certain dates, "regular" hotels might institute deposit policies if nearby big events target leisure travelers. Sporting events and concerts are the biggest examples for that second category.

It's also possible the hotel has a large in-house group that hadn't ever held a large meeting before. (Hotel Sales Managers sometimes contact hotels were groups stayed in the past to check if the group created problems, paid on time, filled their room block, or other things.) If the group didn't have a history, the hotel might have required payment in full prior to the stay. In that scenario, adding a deposit requirement for "normal" guests would make sure none of the group members book outside their room block to avoid the pre-payment. But, that's just speculation.
hhdl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.