Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

How soon is too soon? Property pre-authorizing card 50+ hours before check-in...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How soon is too soon? Property pre-authorizing card 50+ hours before check-in...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2019, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite

I have an upcoming reservation where check-in begins approximately 51 hours from now.

The reservation cancellation terms state risk-free cancellation by 11:59PM (local time) 2 days before check-in date.

I got an email stating my card was charged/pre-authorized for the first night approximately 60 hours before the cancellation deadline, and about 51 hours before check-in begins. I've never seen a charge like this earlier than 1 day before check-in.

Seems a bit excessive to begin charging cards what amounts to 2.5+ days before check-in.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But only .5 days before the cancellation period ends...
Old Sep 15, 2019, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by aww3583
Seems a bit excessive to begin charging cards what amounts to 2.5+ days before check-in.
Except they didn't do that. Your post uses the terms pre-authorize and charge as if they were synonymous. They are not.

Complete Speculation: I'd imagine the hotel conducts the credit authorization during the day because it allows them to contact the guest in the event of issues. If a card is declined, the hotel can simply call the guest and ask for a different card. If they waited until the midnight cancelation deadline, they'd have to wait until the following day to investigate un-authorizable credit cards.

Full Disclosure: I used to work in hotels, including as a Revenue Manager. Many people exploit the fact that a credit card only gets validated (to ensure it's not a made up number) during the reservation process. Unethical guests often enter valid but canceled credit cards (or ones they know will get declined) when making reservations. That scenario isn't unusual. When a card is declined for a no-show, the hotel loses that money.
mdbe likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 7:21 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Yeah, this is just an authorization. If you wish to cancel, go ahead and they will not process the charge (assuming you make the cancellation deadline).
Old Sep 16, 2019, 2:29 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Why does it matter unless you have a low credit limit in comparison to the cost of the stay?
loomis and Often1 like this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 7:26 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by :D!
Why does it matter unless you have a low credit limit in comparison to the cost of the stay?
You may not be intending to use the card for the stay, or it may be a debit card where an authorization sees you lose access to your own money! A card given to guarantee a stay should not be taken as the same card to be used for the stay by the hotel, for non prepaid rates.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by markis10
You may not be intending to use the card for the stay, or it may be a debit card where an authorization sees you lose access to your own money! A card given to guarantee a stay should not be taken as the same card to be used for the stay by the hotel, for non prepaid rates.
I just had a Hyatt property do this same thing, they authorized the card 1.5 days before my registration. It had a 2 day cancellation window so I was under the assumption they were just setting up the registrations a bit early. I didn't think much of it, using a regular credit card. For those using debit cards, yes this is a problem.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
This rubs me the wrong way, I think less of a property for doing it and am frankly less likely to stay there next time.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 7:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Get used to it.

With longer cancellation deadlines and increased bad behavior by customers surrounding that, you can expect this to happen more and more.

1. If you do not intend to use the card you used to guarantee the reservation, the pre-auth will drop off (or if you need the CL immediately, you can call in).
2. If you are using a DC, there is no such thing as pre-authorization. Just one more reason not to ever use a DC for future services.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Miesque
This rubs me the wrong way, I think less of a property for doing it and am frankly less likely to stay there next time.
When should the authorization be done?
Old Sep 20, 2019, 6:53 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TomMM
When should the authorization be done?

When I check-in either on-line/ap or at the front desk
Old Sep 20, 2019, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Miesque
When I check-in either on-line/ap or at the front desk
And if you do neither on a prepaid rate?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.