Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Do Hilton properties allow you to mail packages to them?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Going on a business trip to several Asian countries, including China. No company provided laptops/phones are allowed to enter China, so I'd like to ship a laptop and phone to a Hilton in either Vietnam or Singapore so it's there when I arrive to check in.

I plan on asking the hotels if they will facilitate this, but was wondering if anyone here has done it before and can provide any insight?

Thanks
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:56 am
PeS

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, BA Gold
Never been in this region, but I'm normally getting parcels delivered to various Hiltons for me. Just one property asked for a fee so far (hefty $20 - Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter).
FlyingHighlander likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Can you adequately insure the electronics? I'd worry about them being stolen, including company data. Certainly don't do this on your own without written approval from your employer. Also, I'd use FedEx etc. rather than trusting the mail systems in these countries. This will be expensive too.

Some hotels rent computers and others provide them in the business center. You can rent a cell phone in some international ariports or arrange for a local one to be delivered to you on a rental basis.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Laptop is fully encrypted. Company has approved it. I intend to use FedEx and would obtain sufficient insurance.

I'd rather have my own laptop since I'll be working in multiple countries, on flights, etc. I would not be permitted to use a hotel/loaner system for company business.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
I plan on asking the hotels if they will facilitate this, but was wondering if anyone here has done it before and can provide any insight?

That's a good plan! I recently encountered a situation (at Hilton Schiphol Airport) where they refused to accept a package for someone (me) who was not in residence. That's their policy. Thankfully, the post office made another attempt after I checked-in. Otherwise, I never had an issue with having something delivered to a hotel before I check-in.

Originally Posted by PeS
Never been in this region, but I'm normally getting parcels delivered to various Hiltons for me. Just one property asked for a fee so far (hefty $20 - Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter).
Most U.S. properties do charge some fee for receiving and holding packages...which is annoying.

Last edited by Andriyko; Sep 6, 2019 at 12:14 pm
Old Sep 6, 2019, 11:19 am

Do the hotels have front desks with phones?

Do the phones work?

If the answer to both is "Yes", perhaps you could call said hotels rather than mailing expensive electronics full of sensitive data off into the void based on the words of online posters speculating about unnamed hotels. Just a thought.

Also, if this is being done at the behest of your employer, shouldn't the onus be on them to figure this out? Do they not have a local office that can deal with this?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arlflyer

Do the phones work?

If the answer to both is "Yes", perhaps you could call said hotels rather than mailing expensive electronics full of sensitive data off into the void based on the words of online posters speculating about unnamed hotels. Just a thought.

Also, if this is being done at the behest of your employer, shouldn't the onus be on them to figure this out? Do they not have a local office that can deal with this?
I suggest you read my original post. Just a thought.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
I suggest you read my original post. Just a thought.
I read your post. It said, as it still does, that you're going to ship sensitive equipment to an unnamed, undecided hotel which is a member of a large chain somewhere in one or the other of two Southeast Asian countries. You then said that you would ask the hotels, which is the right thing to do, then opened it up for people to provide anecdotes and conjecture, which will likely be irrelevant (see posts so far talking about U.S. hotels...).

If you're going to call the properties, then what exactly are you looking for from posters? How to use the country code when dialing? What kind of clothing to wear when picking up the package? Something else? I mean, they're going to tell you if you can do this, and that will be that. Not sure exactly what discussion board members are supposed to contribute here.
:D! likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Yes I have had packages shipped and held for me at IHG and Hilton properties in China.
When you say no company owned laptops/phones are allowed in China, I assume this is your company policy?
Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarkCron
Yes I have had packages shipped and held for me at IHG and Hilton properties in China.
When you say no company owned laptops/phones are allowed in China, I assume this is your company policy?
Correct
Old Sep 6, 2019, 4:31 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
On domestic trips, I often have my luggage shipped ahead, usually to a Hilton branded hotel. They have never charged a fee for receiving or holding.
I have had the same experience when shipping packages ahead of my arrival - no fees or problems
FlyingHighlander likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
I read your post. It said, as it still does, that you're going to ship sensitive equipment to an unnamed, undecided hotel which is a member of a large chain somewhere in one or the other of two Southeast Asian countries. You then said that you would ask the hotels, which is the right thing to do, then opened it up for people to provide anecdotes and conjecture, which will likely be irrelevant (see posts so far talking about U.S. hotels...).

If you're going to call the properties, then what exactly are you looking for from posters? How to use the country code when dialing? What kind of clothing to wear when picking up the package? Something else? I mean, they're going to tell you if you can do this, and that will be that. Not sure exactly what discussion board members are supposed to contribute here.
I'm thinking you are misunderstanding the original post. The OP planned to contact hotel but seeking online for testimony from other FT members if they have actually done it and probably recently. OP is doing his due diligence of getting official statement from location and statements of any experiences good/bad from travelers. You never know when you might learn something like box/bag was opened or whatever.
e.g. I traveled to big brand hotel near ORY thinking I could leave a bag in storage during a weekend sidetrip and avoid luggage fees until my return on Sunday evening and hotel stated NO! Due to security they can't store any guest luggage/items. But, I spoke nicely to manager and indicated my status, he can check my contents and my account to see my frequency of stays + return reservation after staying for a night. I wouldn't urge someone try at the same hotel but that is my experience which I think the OP is seeking of similar destination.

Spend way too much time on this.
FlyingHighlander, 8420PR and aryan like this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:01 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist

Do the phones work?

Are you doing your little superiority dance?
Zurich, RetiredATLATC and aryan like this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Duty Manager at the Hilton Hanoi replied to my email confirming they would be happy to receive my shipment, and provided me with specific labeling instructions. They will email me when it arrives.
arlflyer and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by hotturnip
Are you doing your little superiority dance?
Not really. I just don’t know why people clog up the FT boards looking for speculation and anecdotes rather than figuring out the relevant details for themselves. Multiply that by 1000 and the forum would become unusable. Either way sounds like OP did the logical thing and now it is settled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.