Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Waldorf Astoria Los Cabos Pedregal {MEX}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2020, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ps9a
Menu to all restaurants (prices not inclusive of 15% service charge and 16% taxes)- https://www.qrcabowa.com/masterwa0

120K standard room award needs to be available to be able to use credit card free night cert
https://www.hilton.com/en/waldorf-astoria/
select flexible dates and points stay. Search for one night stays and you should see available dates
Certs are able to be used any night of the week in 2020 and also in 2021

All the rooms point in the same, basic direction. That direction is "towards the water" with only a little east-vs-west angle to the patio views.
Request a high floor for best view
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wa...4d-109.9121528

If you have kids- a smaller size casita closer to the family and kid pools are better than the larger villas that are a hike away at the vet back of the property

Continental Breakfast is free for diamonds. $20 ++ 31% upcharge for the hot buffet (egg station with Mexican food option; very small and limited size
buffet)

Whale watching season runs Dec 15 - April 15

Print Wikipost

Waldorf Astoria Los Cabos Pedregal {MEX}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2024, 5:28 pm

They just dropped a few months of dates
ps9a and brodielayne like this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Shoutout to whoever recommended Mother Flowers. The tacos were better than what the WA offered. Cannot recommend highly enough worth the slight up charge. Checked into WA today and asked to be upgraded to Dos mares Junior suite for 1st night of 3 night stay and told them we would move after. The check in agent tried to say it wasn’t available when it was showing on Hilton app. He showed me his backend and I found the suite also showing as available. They then gave me the suite for all 3 nights even though it definitely wasn’t available for last 2 nights or stay. Will check out breakfast tomorow and report back. Def an amazing property from the short time I’ve been here!
SanDiego1K, CLEguy and Noeapantoja like this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 3:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
We also spent 6 nights here very recently. Stray thoughts:
  • The 'upgrade' to an ocean view room didn't show up in the app until just a few days out. They were near capacity during our stay, and no other rooms were available for the full duration.
  • Our room was just above Don Manuel's and had a great view of the ocean. We were with our one-year-old, so there was noise from the band at night which was a bit challenging. We tucked his crib into the bathroom, and there was more than enough space.
  • Service across the board was fabulous. I have zero complaints, gripes, or even any constructive feedback. It was truly wonderful.
  • Breakfast is well worth the upcharge for the full buffet.
  • We enjoyed the Once In A Lifetime at the Agave Study. If the selections change regularly, I could see doing it again. The team there was top notch.
  • El Farallon has great views. The food...not so much. Don Manuel's is better.
  • Mother Flower is about a ten minute walk away and is so, so, so good. The shrimp and suadero tacos in particular were standouts.
Even with an older hard product, Pedregal is a special place. We loved that it was a bit more spread out, especially compared to the Cape which felt much more cramped and chaotic. This is a top-tier redemption for any program.
SanDiego1K and friedablass like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 9:20 am

Room Recommendations

We are 1 month out form our 5 night award stay & I checked the reservation today & it looks like we were upgraded to the Dos Mares Jr Suite! I’m super excited but a little nervous they are going to put it back down to the standard room. Does anyone have experience with upgrades this far out? Do you think it was an error or will it likely stick? Any recommendations on best “rooms” to request for the Dos Mares? I see on the website some come with a fireplace & some with a hammock so just wondering what people prefer
Old Mar 27, 2024, 11:36 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by hulk0020
We are 1 month out form our 5 night award stay & I checked the reservation today & it looks like we were upgraded to the Dos Mares Jr Suite! I’m super excited but a little nervous they are going to put it back down to the standard room. Does anyone have experience with upgrades this far out? Do you think it was an error or will it likely stick? Any recommendations on best “rooms” to request for the Dos Mares? I see on the website some come with a fireplace & some with a hammock so just wondering what people prefer
Hope it sticks!
We've done both types of Dos Mares and loved them all, you can't go wrong. The hammock is in the back with no view or anything, so you're not missing much if you get the fire room.
hulk0020 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 5:57 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
Does anyone have experience with upgrades this far out? Do you think it was an error or will it likely stick?
A few days after booking a 3 night points stay, I noticed it was upgraded about 6 weeks in advance of check-in to King Deluxe. I checked again at some point which was at least a few weeks out, and it was further upgraded to Two Bedroom Ocean View Villa which it still shows. I check-in late next week and am keeping my fingers crossed it sticks and will report back.
hulk0020 likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by robochick84
We had our second six-night stay at the property earlier this month (points redemption with 5th night free and a FNC for the 6th night). This is still our favorite Hilton property in the world (40+ countries), but this second stay allowed us to gain a better understanding of why opinions of the property and experiences do vary. The soft product brought us back for the second visit and we hope to continue to visit annually. It had been 13-months since our last visit and several employees still remembered us (front gate security, Agave Study bartender, and a server at breakfast) – this blew our minds! On the other hand, we were on property for the week of my birthday, and I found it odd that there was no acknowledgement of my birthday.

We did not receive the standard almost-immediate upgrade from the “Pacific View” to “Ocean View” that most experience after booking this year. Upon arrival we were informed that the property was at capacity, but we were also offered an upgrade for $700 a night. So, it is what it is. We were immediately offered a complimentary roll-away at check-in this year as an ‘apology’ for not being able to upgrade us though. Our kiddo was over-the-moon excited for his upgrade from sleeping on the floor last year. FWIW, in the standard rooms, the roll-away takes up a lot of space in a room that is already filled with furniture. Regarding the property being ‘at capacity’- it was very empty compared to our visit last year. Breakfast tables were only half utilized each morning and pool chairs were available every day.

On our last visit we stayed in the building directly overlooking the lobby/concierge area (48/49 – maybe?). Others have reported that it can be very noisy here, but we only had one night that was intrusive. A group was rather loud in the middle of the night when they returned to the property that evening. During this visit we were in the 700 building that is adjacent to the neighboring property that many have reported is noisy. It was indeed very noisy during day time hours, but evening and overnight hours were very quiet – almost as if that property has a curfew and closes the pool area. I can also appreciate why people find the rooms near El Farallon to be noisy. As quiet and relaxing as the WA Cabo is in general, I think you need to accept that noise may occur despite where your room is. The first half of this stay also suffered from a noisy upstairs neighbor moving furniture and flushing the toilet every 1-2 hours through the night.

We also experienced a very different service flow this year. I suspect it is due to being out in the 700 building and not due to a change in the experience the property offers. Morning room cleaning, afternoon guac delivery, and evening turn down were not prompt or at the times we requested. Last year, in the center of the property, everything was ‘a well-oiled machine’ and promptly occurred at the requested times.

The welcome drinks were still offered, but we did not receive the departure cookies and water this year. It is a silly little thing to care about, but we loved receiving those cookies when departing last year. The beach bags are still provided in the room, but as others have reported, the amenity kit is no longer provided.

We returned to El Farallon for a second visit, but I regret doing so. Our visit last year was shortly after the price increase, so we already expected the high prices, but we all felt like the amount of food was much less this year. We did not have the earliest seating this year and I also now understand why some are aggravated by the sales pitches at the Champagne Bar. We are in the middle of a half marathon training block, so we are reducing/avoiding alcohol, but they were relentless even after a simple “no thank you”. The ‘holding pen’ at the Champagne Bar meant we were not at our table until an hour after our reservation time too. Our reservation for the earliest seating last year led us straight from the check-in podium to our table in ~10 minutes, and our departure from El Farallon occurred just as the live band began to play. The later reservation this year coincided with when the live band began playing and our table was directly in front of them. It made the entire evening unpleasant as we could not communicate with each other or our server.

We will likely try Don Manuel’s for dinner on a future visit, but the real gem we have discovered is the Agave Study. The room service menu, Don Manuel’s dinner menu, and many of the new items in the ‘amenities menu’ that I linked in an earlier post can all be delivered to the Agave Study. It is busy earlier in the evening, but by 6pm the Agave Study is empty as everyone has departed for dinner. The comfortable chairs, fireplace, and sounds of the ocean create an enjoyable atmosphere. My kiddo planned the new “S’mores Experience” for my birthday and had it delivered to the Agave Study. It is not a traditional campground experience and was truly the bougiest S’mores experience this rural farm girl has ever had. LOL

We stayed in an Airbnb in Cabo for a month prior to our arrival to the WA, so I will share a few other randoms that may be valuable. Yes, the ‘California Ranch Market’ is very convenient, but it is not cheap. Expect US Whole Foods prices or more. WalMart and Chedraui are just a short walk away and much cheaper. WalMart also delivers for a flat $2USD. I also agree that all nicer sit-down restaurants are expensive in Cabo, but there are gems that exist if you are willing to step away from the Marina. I almost do not want to give away our favorite find, but “1 & Only Taco” is the closest to the WA & no language barrier. It is a husband and wife team and they ‘cook until they sell out’; 21 tacos, two tall Mezcalitas, and a bottled water for $85. If you are looking to get off property earlier in the day, “Tacos El Norteño 2021” is just ~1 mile up the road (Miguel Angel Herrara) and serves delicious Birria Tacos. This place is also a ’cook until they sell out’ for Birria, but offers a more standard menu afterwards. No English, but trust me, you can fudge your way through ordering tacos. 😊

ETA: P.S. try the Bacanora at the Agave Study! We did the 'Once in a Lifetime' experience at the Agave Study last year, so we weren't really sure how to top that. The same bartender that we had for the experience last year took us through a mini educational experience with Bacanora this year.
how did you book the stays with poitns for 4 nights + 1 FNC? We tried calling hilton yesterday to do that, but the woman on the phone said that i can either get the 5th night free via points or pay 4 nights w/ points and use the FNC (So obviously no). She couldn't book the FNC separately, because the hotel won't allow points stays of less than 3 nights. was she just incompetent or is there some work around that I need to be aware of? thanks!
Old Mar 29, 2024, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by bdubs7
how did you book the stays with poitns for 4 nights + 1 FNC? We tried calling hilton yesterday to do that, but the woman on the phone said that i can either get the 5th night free via points or pay 4 nights w/ points and use the FNC (So obviously no). She couldn't book the FNC separately, because the hotel won't allow points stays of less than 3 nights. was she just incompetent or is there some work around that I need to be aware of? thanks!
Hilton's outsourced "customer service" team is mostly terrible. You can try HUCA to see if you can get a better result, but I would not count on it. Maybe contacting the property might help. I have had some decent results dealing with the property directly.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 12:48 pm

I think he said he did the fifth night free plus 1 fnc for 6 nights totlal
Old Mar 29, 2024, 12:55 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Hilton Diamond
I am not sure if I fully understand what you were trying to book. Were you trying to reduce the amount of points needed for four nights, or book the "5th night free" and use your FNC for the sixth night?

We did 5th night free -and- one FNC for six nights total. You can book the five nights for the 'cost' of four nights on points online. No need to call for that. After we complete that step, we then call to redeem the FNC for a sixth night. When the concierge reaches out to you prior to your stay, you can just let them know and they merge the reservations on their end.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Thought I would add some more thoughts after my 3 night stay.

1) heard a tip from an employee that the property is about to start a serious renovation in a couple of months to refresh all rooms. Told that there would be huge discounts on cash stays during this time period.

2) The dos Mares Junior suite with fire pits have better views than those with hammocks (room #23 has best view of all Dos mares rooms as it is highest up). We had to go up three flights of stairs to reach our room from the main walkway (made me wonder how our bags were brought to our room or how any housekeeping or servicing happened) but the view was well worth it, will attach picture below.

3) Might just be living in the Bay Area but my friends and I didn’t find El Farallón to be thaat unreasonably priced considering the experience and ambience which was amazing. We also thought the food was very solid and more than just okay like some other reviews. Also a good tip for more budget conscious travelers (especially those in groups) is that you can order less than one entree per person. My two friends and I (all male college students in our twenties) ordered 2 fish entrees (tuna and amberjack) and had more than enough food to leave us stuffed as the prefix menu has a LOT of food included.

3) the continental breakfast is also very filling and while the breakfast buffet upgrade was amazing it is not necessary to be full for breakfast unless you want to try it out once or twice.

4) the staff is amazing in terms of their quality however there are some hiccups in our stay that we experienced, specially regarding room service. I noticed the first night that our room phone did not get an answer (kept ringing forever) after 9pM called the hotel number too on my cellphone and also did not get an answer after 9 PM. I feel like this was a serious issue as in the case of an emergency it was impossible to get in touch with hotel staff. In my case I simply wanted to order room service and tried to call for 30 min before giving up and hiking to the front desk (it is an actual hike down/up 3 flights of stairs to get to the front desk from my room). I placed an order manually at front desk which showed up an hour later at which point none of my friends or I were still hungry so we tried to call again to get them to pack it up or simply clean up the tray and still couldn’t get an answer. Had to hike back down to the front desk to ask fro someone to take the tray. The food was honestly some of the best room service I had but the experience trying to order it was the worst I have ever experienced. I really appreciated the response from the staff when I brought it up the next day as my food was comped and they applied a $100 credit to my folio.

5) the Spa is great but so expensive that it is borderline not worth it. I had the same massage at WA cancun and WA Cabo, Cabo was $150 more expensive and the massage was not as good. I also liked the pre message experience more at WA cancun and appreciated their 15% discount for diamond members.

6) There is a real focus on the culinary experience at WA which as a foodie I greatly appreciated. Don Manuel’s had some amazing food and drink, lobster tacos and pedregal reyes cocktail were amazing and so was the dessert but you will definitely pay a premium even compared to other WA’s. All the activities ranged from 20-80% more expensive than their equivalent at other high end Hilton resorts I have been to. Tried the taco class with the head chef who was amazing and really informative and well worth the price (class, lunch, and cocktail for $100 after tax and service) but prepare to spend a lot of money if eating on property.

All in all this is an amazing property that is no doubt among the best Hilton has to offer outside of the Maldives. One of the things I appreciate about the WA resorts in Mexico (especially compared to the Conrad’s) is that even when they are at >90% occupancy they do not feel crowded at all while some of the Conrad’s in Mexico can feel like a zoo during peak season (Cough cough Conrad Punta de Mita cough cough). One thing I was told before coming to WA Cabo pedregal was that it was way better than WA cancun which I had visited first, however I disagree with this characterization. WA Cabo is better in terms of location and uniqueness, but the WA cancun has way newer rooms that make Pedregal feel dated and in need of a renovation. I also think Cancun had ever so slightly cheaper prices for Food and experiences at the resort and while definitely more of a “traditional” luxury resort experience. Considering its cash prices can be as low as 60% of the WA Cabo and much better award availability, I would honestly be conflicted as to where to go for a long weekend getaway as they both have pluses and minuses. Overall however, WA Cabo was truly a magical place and my friends and I greatly enjoyed our stay there. Thanks to everyone here for all the tips it definitely made my experience better and I hope I can benefit someone else with these tips. Shoutout to Mother flowers which is walking distance from the resort and has the best tacos I have ever had at a fraction of the cost of WA!

Old Apr 4, 2024, 12:03 pm

We had our second six-night stay at the property earlier this month (points redemption with 5th night free and a FNC for the 6th night). This is still our favorite Hilton property in the world (40+ countries), but this second stay allowed us to gain a better understanding of why opinions of the property and experiences do vary. The soft product brought us back for the second visit and we hope to continue to visit annually. It had been 13-months since our last visit and several employees still remembered us (front gate security, Agave Study bartender, and a server at breakfast) – this blew our minds! On the other hand, we were on property for the week of my birthday, and I found it odd that there was no acknowledgement of my birthday.

We did not receive the standard almost-immediate upgrade from the “Pacific View” to “Ocean View” that most experience after booking this year. Upon arrival we were informed that the property was at capacity, but we were also offered an upgrade for $700 a night. So, it is what it is. We were immediately offered a complimentary roll-away at check-in this year as an ‘apology’ for not being able to upgrade us though. Our kiddo was over-the-moon excited for his upgrade from sleeping on the floor last year. FWIW, in the standard rooms, the roll-away takes up a lot of space in a room that is already filled with furniture. Regarding the property being ‘at capacity’- it was very empty compared to our visit last year. Breakfast tables were only half utilized each morning and pool chairs were available every day.

On our last visit we stayed in the building directly overlooking the lobby/concierge area (48/49 – maybe?). Others have reported that it can be very noisy here, but we only had one night that was intrusive. A group was rather loud in the middle of the night when they returned to the property that evening. During this visit we were in the 700 building that is adjacent to the neighboring property that many have reported is noisy. It was indeed very noisy during day time hours, but evening and overnight hours were very quiet – almost as if that property has a curfew and closes the pool area. I can also appreciate why people find the rooms near El Farallon to be noisy. As quiet and relaxing as the WA Cabo is in general, I think you need to accept that noise may occur despite where your room is. The first half of this stay also suffered from a noisy upstairs neighbor moving furniture and flushing the toilet every 1-2 hours through the night.

We also experienced a very different service flow this year. I suspect it is due to being out in the 700 building and not due to a change in the experience the property offers. Morning room cleaning, afternoon guac delivery, and evening turn down were not prompt or at the times we requested. Last year, in the center of the property, everything was ‘a well-oiled machine’ and promptly occurred at the requested times.

The welcome drinks were still offered, but we did not receive the departure cookies and water this year. It is a silly little thing to care about, but we loved receiving those cookies when departing last year. The beach bags are still provided in the room, but as others have reported, the amenity kit is no longer provided.

We returned to El Farallon for a second visit, but I regret doing so. Our visit last year was shortly after the price increase, so we already expected the high prices, but we all felt like the amount of food was much less this year. We did not have the earliest seating this year and I also now understand why some are aggravated by the sales pitches at the Champagne Bar. We are in the middle of a half marathon training block, so we are reducing/avoiding alcohol, but they were relentless even after a simple “no thank you”. The ‘holding pen’ at the Champagne Bar meant we were not at our table until an hour after our reservation time too. Our reservation for the earliest seating last year led us straight from the check-in podium to our table in ~10 minutes, and our departure from El Farallon occurred just as the live band began to play. The later reservation this year coincided with when the live band began playing and our table was directly in front of them. It made the entire evening unpleasant as we could not communicate with each other or our server.

We will likely try Don Manuel’s for dinner on a future visit, but the real gem we have discovered is the Agave Study. The room service menu, Don Manuel’s dinner menu, and many of the new items in the ‘amenities menu’ that I linked in an earlier post can all be delivered to the Agave Study. It is busy earlier in the evening, but by 6pm the Agave Study is empty as everyone has departed for dinner. The comfortable chairs, fireplace, and sounds of the ocean create an enjoyable atmosphere. My kiddo planned the new “S’mores Experience” for my birthday and had it delivered to the Agave Study. It is not a traditional campground experience and was truly the bougiest S’mores experience this rural farm girl has ever had. LOL

We stayed in an Airbnb in Cabo for a month prior to our arrival to the WA, so I will share a few other randoms that may be valuable. Yes, the ‘California Ranch Market’ is very convenient, but it is not cheap. Expect US Whole Foods prices or more. WalMart and Chedraui are just a short walk away and much cheaper. WalMart also delivers for a flat $2USD. I also agree that all nicer sit-down restaurants are expensive in Cabo, but there are gems that exist if you are willing to step away from the Marina. I almost do not want to give away our favorite find, but “1 & Only Taco” is the closest to the WA & no language barrier. It is a husband and wife team and they ‘cook until they sell out’; 21 tacos, two tall Mezcalitas, and a bottled water for $85. If you are looking to get off property earlier in the day, “Tacos El Norteño 2021” is just ~1 mile up the road (Miguel Angel Herrara) and serves delicious Birria Tacos. This place is also a ’cook until they sell out’ for Birria, but offers a more standard menu afterwards. No English, but trust me, you can fudge your way through ordering tacos. 😊

ETA: P.S. try the Bacanora at the Agave Study! We did the 'Once in a Lifetime' experience at the Agave Study last year, so we weren't really sure how to top that. The same bartender that we had for the experience last year took us through a mini educational experience with Bacanora this year.
Hey there - curious how far out you were able to find availability for 6 nights on points (assuming you booked at 120k points per night). I am eyeing this hotel for the same period next year (End of March 2025) and hoping to get a bead on when that might become available. I have alerts setup through MaxMyPoint but curious about your experience. Thank you!
Old Apr 4, 2024, 12:06 pm

Hey there - curious how far out you were able to book the hotel on points? Looking at the same time period for next year.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 12:26 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by brfilora
Hey there - curious how far out you were able to find availability for 6 nights on points (assuming you booked at 120k points per night). I am eyeing this hotel for the same period next year (End of March 2025) and hoping to get a bead on when that might become available. I have alerts setup through MaxMyPoint but curious about your experience. Thank you!
A major dump of 120k availability occurred in December prior to both our 2023 February stay and our 2024 March stay.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 9:04 am

A major dump of 120k availability occurred in December prior to both our 2023 February stay and our 2024 March stay.
Very helpful, thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.