Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Points Devaluation" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2023, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cblaisd
Hilton Properties Devalued 5k → 10k & 10k → 20k for standard award:

[NAME] [OLD RATE] [NEW RATE]

Loyalty Lobby Article with the List of Hotels that Changed: https://loyaltylobby.com/2019/06/17/hilton-honors-award-chart-changes-june-2019/
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Points Devaluation" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2019, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know there is no more categories and charts. However, my guess is they are kind of behind the scenes? If this is true, I wonder if they adjusted the categories of the hotels or adjusted the redemption levels?
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
RIP HGI Singapore. Never got the chance to know you personally. Now I won't have to settle for your subpar location.
RafKa and Thysk like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
RIP HI Farmington NM and HGI Vienna South
Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:33 pm

This endless devaluation is like stabbing someone who is already dead! Why Hilton not end the points program & pay us cash value, the value they charge when they sell points and take away our points and end this program?
Old Jun 11, 2019, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
This endless devaluation is like stabbing someone who is already dead! Why Hilton not end the points program & pay us cash value, the value they charge when they sell points and take away our points and end this program?
Because then the credit card game wouldn't work for them...
jn in ca likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 5:52 am

Just sharing a few more examples:
Hampton Livepool 20k -> 30k
Hampton Edinburgh West End 30k -> 40k
Hampton York 30k -> 40k
HGI Vienna South 10k -> 20k
DT Bratislava 10k -> 20k
Hilton Izmir 10k -> 20k
Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Adelphos
The inevitable consequence of 160,000 points sales for $800 and welcome bonuses for several credit cards totaling over 300,000 points as well as double points on stays and generous points on everyday spend.
Yup, and that’s why I passed. HHonors has basically been a fraud like Skypesos since the great deval and elimination of award charts. Alas Bonvoy fka MR has chosen to follow suit at least for 90k max rooms.

The only feature tempting me to book Hilton rooms anymore are the free Gold breakfasts and those are worthless to me on expensed business trips so really only useful for leisure stays. And even then got nothing at WA 3 years ago.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Hotel Points Guy

I did an analysis of my travel patterns and needs a few years ago and also considered going to a hotels.com model of hotel booking. At the end of the day, however, I decided to stay with Hilton as my primary hotel loyalty program. My decision was based on the observation that in either program, it takes approximately 10 nights worth of stays to redeem a free night at an equivalent hotel property. (That is, 10 nights worth of points generated by staying at a Hampton Inn generally is sufficient to redeem for one night at another Hampton Inn hotel.) Even with the recent increase in points required to book a room, I find the ratio (10 paid nights to 1 free night) still holds because I have been able to earn more points per stay, considering quarterly promos, Hilton credit card, etc. I realize that not everyone can leverage the earning power of the Hilton AMEX, but for me personally, the combination of the credit card and Hilton promos allows me to extract an adequate amount of value from the Honors program. Add in Diamond benefits that would not be extended to a hotels.com or Priceline booking (free breakfast, very nice room upgrades), and it makes the most sense for me to continue booking direct with Hilton.
That’s fair. I only get Gold and don’t always want to be stuck in the US chain hotel ghetto, making a suboptimal location/price/service level work because of the shiny card. In the US it’s pretty easy to make Hilton work. Hotels.com works both inside and outside the US for me. YMMV.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
The 3 x 30k London properties are now 40k - DT Greenwich, Hampton Docklands, Hampton Gatwick. HGI Heathrow Hatton Cross remains 30k.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
The most useful property for me - Hampton Truckee - a very basic property, is now 54k per night in high season, with a current value of .0038 per Hilton point. That’s well below the .007 I normally get from marriott much less the .01-.02 we are getting at (former) SPG properties on our current Italian trip.

I am delighted that HH works for those who want free rooms in bakersfield, but not so good for high $$$ locations.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I am delighted that HH works for those who want free rooms in bakersfield, but not so good for high $$$ locations.
100% price increase for 10,000 point properties does not create happiness. Have you noticed Truckee now lists some nights under $100? Not common, but something II have not noticed until last month.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hilton Gdańsk now 60,000! Incredible... that means the hotel is like $300 when it’s just not.

Sale price is $150 flex $200 points 60,000. No thanks.

Far too many joke examples now.
yurtripper and dimon84 like this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Amex Plat, National Elite

Yup works for me, specially when rooms are close to work.

For high $ locations, I have plenty of AMEX points.. lol
Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:52 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
I have found high $$$ locations to often be the best use of HH points.
BrlDsguise and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles
The 3 x 30k London properties are now 40k - DT Greenwich, Hampton Docklands, Hampton Gatwick. HGI Heathrow Hatton Cross remains 30k.
DT Ealing also remains at 30k

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.