Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Diamond Members do you pay the upgrade fee?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diamond Members do you pay the upgrade fee?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Actually, I find Writerguyfl posts to be generally helpful. On the other hand, you seem to be condescending both to the average FT user, and the OP.

If, as you say, it’s a colossal waste of time to respond to “Is it worth it” threads, it’s interesting that have so many posts in this thread.

I find no problem with the OP’s question. Give your opinion or don’t. Don’t blather on about critical thinking skills, and branching off from the subject of the thread.

I have never purchased an upgrade at a Hilton property. Properties that I visit regularly upgrade me to suites already. I might consider it at other properties if I had a real need for a better room.

I respect your perspective on the matter. For the record, I actually DID give my opinion and my post would have been "one and done." I didn't start "blathering on" as you put it about anything until writerguyfl decided to start a debate with me. I'm glad you find writerguyfl helpful, you are welcome to your perspective (as am I last I checked). However, in this case writerguyfl has not at all provided any comment/feedback relative to the OPs topic/question, but rather seemed just to be interested in debating me, and I'm quite comfortable with debate whether others like it or not. Furthermore, my "so many posts" in the thread were in direct response to writerguyfl, choosing to engage me. As I said, my offered opinion would have been one and done.

Anyone that believes I'm "condescending" (for the record, that's not at all my intent, but I am direct; there's a difference) or doesn't like the content of my posts is quite capable of either a) choosing to ignore my posts or b) formally blocking my username from your feedback (I'm happy to provide instructions! ). These are all things in your control rather than wishing you can control my perspective.

Now, we can keep this silliness up, or we can recognize that the OP has not even returned to this thread to participate in the conversation and move on...

Regards

Last edited by scubadu; Mar 20, 2019 at 11:18 am
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:59 pm

Sometimes. It depends. Most of the time I don't bother paying for an upgrade and ask when I check in if it'll matter during my stay. We travel a lot and when it's just an overnight before hitting the road or catching another flight, it's not worth paying for an upgrade, I've already picked a room I will be comfortable in. On the other hand, if it's somewhere we'll be for a few nights or longer and the upgrade is reasonably priced, then yes, I'll request it and am happy to pay for the upgrade, especially during busy times of the year when I'm less likely to get an upgrade if the hotel is full or close to full.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Bonvoy, Choice, IHG
I am a pretty new Diamond (under a year) and I've never paid for an upgrade. I've seen them offered in the app which I have ignored and gotten upgraded a few times upon arrival. I've been upgraded automatically and I've also asked nicely for an upgrade a time or two. I agree with the others that it depends on the room you've reserved and the one they are trying to upgrade you to and if that room is "worth" it to you. The bottom line is that you want to enjoy your stay and if it costs you a few extra bucks, then go for it.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 12:55 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
What I will pay for is at some hotels you can buy a drink & food voucher for a discount - so if I know I will eat at the hotel it will perhaps save me bit off the bill.

I've never paid for an upgrade to the room - unless it was many years ago when I didn't know any better or didn't have status etc.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:51 pm

The paid upgrades come in two varieties.

One is a 'NOR1' offer. It usually shows up in the app, but you have to look for it. Sometimes they come as emails. It will give you some upgrade options with discounted prices. You can tell it's a NOR1 upgrade by clicking on one of the offers. 'NOR1' will be part of the URL. If you choose one, and the upgrade is available when you check in, they will charge you and make the upgrade. The thing to bear in mind with these is that the offers are very often sent to everybody (regardless of Honors tier etc) checking in when you are so lots of upgrades are soaked up. Hotel managers love them because they can often sell every upgrade they might have felt obliged to give away to a gold or diamond member.

The other variety of paid upgrade that has been showing up (especially at Waldorfs) comes in an email from a concierge or guest services agent. It will mention that your gold or diamond membership entitles you to a one category upgrade, junior suite, etc, but for a fee that is usually much lower than reserving a suite, you can either be assured of an upgrade to such and such a suite or they can offer it 'subject to availability at check in'. The last time I saw one of these was at the end of 2018. I booked a junior suite. The email said my Diamond membership would deliver a one bedroom suite (i.e. a one class upgrade) subject to availability at check in. For $89 more per night I could be guaranteed a five class upgrade to a Deluxe one bedroom suite with a balcony, etc, etc. Passing on these can be a safer bet because (so far) they're usually only sent to gold or diamond members. If I'm celebrating something special and would really like a better room, I will bite at these.

Both of these are creatures invented to keep managers/owners happy by monetizing upgrades they might have given away.
pinniped likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 8:14 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Bonvoy, Choice, IHG
Originally Posted by retiredfromhilton
The paid upgrades come in two varieties.

One is a 'NOR1' offer. It usually shows up in the app, but you have to look for it. Sometimes they come as emails. It will give you some upgrade options with discounted prices. You can tell it's a NOR1 upgrade by clicking on one of the offers. 'NOR1' will be part of the URL. If you choose one, and the upgrade is available when you check in, they will charge you and make the upgrade. The thing to bear in mind with these is that the offers are very often sent to everybody (regardless of Honors tier etc) checking in when you are so lots of upgrades are soaked up. Hotel managers love them because they can often sell every upgrade they might have felt obliged to give away to a gold or diamond member.

The other variety of paid upgrade that has been showing up (especially at Waldorfs) comes in an email from a concierge or guest services agent. It will mention that your gold or diamond membership entitles you to a one category upgrade, junior suite, etc, but for a fee that is usually much lower than reserving a suite, you can either be assured of an upgrade to such and such a suite or they can offer it 'subject to availability at check in'. The last time I saw one of these was at the end of 2018. I booked a junior suite. The email said my Diamond membership would deliver a one bedroom suite (i.e. a one class upgrade) subject to availability at check in. For $89 more per night I could be guaranteed a five class upgrade to a Deluxe one bedroom suite with a balcony, etc, etc. Passing on these can be a safer bet because (so far) they're usually only sent to gold or diamond members. If I'm celebrating something special and would really like a better room, I will bite at these.

Both of these are creatures invented to keep managers/owners happy by monetizing upgrades they might have given away.
Excellent information. Thank you for sharing!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.