Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Pool closed for ‘private event’ in property that charges resort fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:23 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

I’m not a fan of resort fees as it is. Indeed the benefits at this property are for Internet, water, morning coffee, local calls and kids eating free. I haven’t been given the water, and won’t use any of the rest of the benefits.

I’ve been even more upset that the hotel has closed the pool and pool deck tonight for a ‘private event’; and is offering transportation to another Hilton property to make up for the shortfall.

Would you complain?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:27 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Originally Posted by andset1191
I’ve been even more upset that the hotel has closed the pool and pool deck tonight for a ‘private event’; and is offering transportation to another Hilton property to make up for the shortfall.

Would you complain?
I wouldn't *complain*, but perhaps I'd ask at the front desk if they'll refund the resort fee, if you were inconvenienced for the "resort amenity" of the pool, and mention that the other resort fee items (water) were never delivered if they squeak. It's a small thing for them to refund it if there's a legitimate service interruption.
davie355 and AceReport like this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:28 am

I think you'd have a pretty solid case for a resort fee refund for that day if the pool is mentioned anywhere in the resort fee description. Transportation to another hotel to use the pool seems inconvenient at best. At what property did this happen?
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:34 am

I would request the front desk to kindly remove the resort fee upon checkout.

I would not leave the hotel until either of two events occur:
1. The fee is removed
2. I am apprehended by the police for trespassing

And bear in mind I can expense the fee!
bbbb, Rifleman69 and HMPS like this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:03 am

Somehow when I read this, I thought it sounded familiar. For a more extreme case (pool closed for multiple days for a private event), see this thread: Sheraton Maui - NO pool for next week! (Early April, 2013)
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by zachary
Somehow when I read this, I thought it sounded familiar. For a more extreme case (pool closed for multiple days for a private event), see this thread: Sheraton Maui - NO pool for next week! (Early April, 2013)
Funny (or not) but that event was the first that came to mind. I was there and if memory serves they wanted us to use the Westin Pools.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
What time did the pool close to the public and would you have normally used it after that time and was there notice given? I think some context is needed here.

If there was notice of the closure prior and if it were for just one night, I would move on and forget it. Knowing that hotels have some flexibility with resort fees if you feel that strongly about it, ask for a waiver for that day and explain that they failed to deliver the other benefits, assuming that you've already let someone know you haven't received your water.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:51 am
Suspended

Absolutely. They can waive the fee if you demand it. I have. If the ammenities they are charging you for are unavailable, they may be in legally dubious waters for charging you for it.

Of coruse, I am sure the resort fee applies to more than the pool...but you can at least have them reduce the fee.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Logically the resort fee should include the pool, but this wasn't mentioned by the OP in the listing of water, coffee, etc., so legally it's dubious although IANAL.

Nevertheless, I'd expect compensation (or a significant customer service gesture) for the pool situation and the hotel's failure to notify people in advance about this. I also would have been pestering staff for water from the beginning.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by birdiedouble
What time did the pool close to the public and would you have normally used it after that time and was there notice given? I think some context is needed here.

If there was notice of the closure prior and if it were for just one night, I would move on and forget it. Knowing that hotels have some flexibility with resort fees if you feel that strongly about it, ask for a waiver for that day and explain that they failed to deliver the other benefits, assuming that you've already let someone know you haven't received your water.
If a hotel gives notice in advance, then one can make a choice. Arriving at the hotel, heading down to the pool only to find out they closed it for a private group event is a little late to tell me. Why the debate on pool times? None of their business what time I planned to visit. If the water is shut off to rooms between 9 am and 7 pm, should that be ok as well? Should they demand to know my schedule for the day?

If I decided to rent my home out via AirBNB, but didn't give notice that the heat doesn't work from 8 am to 5 pm, I don't think I would demand to know if they were actually at my house during those hours. That would be incredibly petty on part.
HMPS and strickerj like this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Bonvoy, Choice, IHG
I would absolutely 100% ask for the resort fee to be refunded and would not leave until it was.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
If a hotel gives notice in advance, then one can make a choice. Arriving at the hotel, heading down to the pool only to find out they closed it for a private group event is a little late to tell me. Why the debate on pool times? None of their business what time I planned to visit. If the water is shut off to rooms between 9 am and 7 pm, should that be ok as well? Should they demand to know my schedule for the day?

If I decided to rent my home out via AirBNB, but didn't give notice that the heat doesn't work from 8 am to 5 pm, I don't think I would demand to know if they were actually at my house during those hours. That would be incredibly petty on part.
The examples you are citing are clearly shortfalls on a property and are valid claims against not just a resort fee, but part of the room charge as well. My point here is that we really don't have any idea how much of an inconvenience this really was for the OP or is he just piling on his frustration about the resort fee that he knew fully about when he made the booking, which by the way most likely doesn't cover any aspect of the pool closure we're discussing. Most properties I stay at close their pools at dusk. Let's say for discussion that dusk is at 7:00 and the hotel closed the pool at 6:30 for this event. That's not something I'd have an issue with. If however they closed it at 1:00 to set up for it and the pool was not available for most of the day and I planned on spending a fair amount of time at the pool that day and found out about this when I went down I'd be upset too. If I lost a whole day at a planned pool day I might even be inclined to look for more than a partial/full credit of a resort fee. With the lack of detail here, I'm not even sure the OP gave anyone at the property the opportunity to address his issues at the time.

O/T: I had a recent stay at a property that started charging a resort fee in Dec. I had made two bookings in Nov. The first was a 5th night free points and obviously would have no resort fee applied. The second booking was one night on cash and initially the resort fee wasn't going to apply, however I rebooked at a lower rate and even with the resort fee I was going to save about $75. At checkout the FD rep mentioned that a resort fee was charged on the cash night. I casually said that I knew about it and had originally made the reservation just before the fee started, but got a better rate so it wasn't a problem as far as I was concerned. She said that she would lower it from $35 to $15. Not a big deal to me either way, but I was impressed that a FD agent would make a gesture like this to fix an issue that really wasn't an issue.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by birdiedouble
The examples you are citing are clearly shortfalls on a property and are valid claims against not just a resort fee, but part of the room charge as well. My point here is that we really don't have any idea how much of an inconvenience this really was for the OP or is he just piling on his frustration about the resort fee that he knew fully about when he made the booking, which by the way most likely doesn't cover any aspect of the pool closure we're discussing. Most properties I stay at close their pools at dusk. Let's say for discussion that dusk is at 7:00 and the hotel closed the pool at 6:30 for this event. That's not something I'd have an issue with. If however they closed it at 1:00 to set up for it and the pool was not available for most of the day and I planned on spending a fair amount of time at the pool that day and found out about this when I went down I'd be upset too. If I lost a whole day at a planned pool day I might even be inclined to look for more than a partial/full credit of a resort fee. With the lack of detail here, I'm not even sure the OP gave anyone at the property the opportunity to address his issues at the time.

O/T: I had a recent stay at a property that started charging a resort fee in Dec. I had made two bookings in Nov. The first was a 5th night free points and obviously would have no resort fee applied. The second booking was one night on cash and initially the resort fee wasn't going to apply, however I rebooked at a lower rate and even with the resort fee I was going to save about $75. At checkout the FD rep mentioned that a resort fee was charged on the cash night. I casually said that I knew about it and had originally made the reservation just before the fee started, but got a better rate so it wasn't a problem as far as I was concerned. She said that she would lower it from $35 to $15. Not a big deal to me either way, but I was impressed that a FD agent would make a gesture like this to fix an issue that really wasn't an issue.
Pool hours are typically easy to find, but things outside of the norm aren't unless they choose to post it. The pool at a major resort is pretty important, especially to a family. Surprising the family with a "we chose to close the pool" to you and everyone else not part of whatever party is a big deal. I'm not anti resort fee like others feel, but don't ask me to pay a fee then not provide the service. That is a big deal IMO. As mentioned in other threads, if I reserve something with expectations of perks, you don't get to take away the perks but still demand the same amount of money. Rarely have I had issues with FD staff as they understand, but please give me advance notice if you know you are going to remove access to those expecting to use the service.
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
I have had this scenario happen twice in different hotels:
First time was given a number of points.
Second time was offered a massage for myself and Wife. I declined but my Wife took advantage.
You are paying for a service and facilities and if the hotel removes them then their should be compensation.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Pool hours are typically easy to find, but things outside of the norm aren't unless they choose to post it. The pool at a major resort is pretty important, especially to a family. Surprising the family with a "we chose to close the pool" to you and everyone else not part of whatever party is a big deal. I'm not anti resort fee like others feel, but don't ask me to pay a fee then not provide the service. That is a big deal IMO. As mentioned in other threads, if I reserve something with expectations of perks, you don't get to take away the perks but still demand the same amount of money. Rarely have I had issues with FD staff as they understand, but please give me advance notice if you know you are going to remove access to those expecting to use the service.
I don't disagree what you say there. What we don't know is what exactly this particular property did as the OP didn't really supply much detail. Someone on one of the airline thread the other day complained about no lights for an entire flight due to a technical problem. Another poster was on the same flight and put the issue in a better perspective with more detail. We don't have that detail here, just a very generic claim. There's also no mention of trying to resolve this (or his water issue) at the property to his/her satisfaction. In fact, the OP has not posted again since their original post last night. It's like crying wolf without first trying for a simple resolution. Enjoy your weekend!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.