Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Left Hilton Aspire card at home

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Left Hilton Aspire card at home

Ok. Just realized when on the plane to Hawaii that I forgot to put my Hilton Aspire card in my wallet. Am currently staying at a condo on another island but will be heading to the Grand Wailea next weekend. The Aspire card is listed as the payment method on file for this reservation but I am using free night certificates for the stay. It is my experience that a physical card is usually swiped at check in. I think I may have switched payment methods before but that has been to ask the hotel to post the charges to the new physical card swiped rather than leave them on the card on file. I am of course wanting to take advantage of the $250 resort credit that the Aspire offers. Am I safe to assume the hotel will post the stay to the card on file rather than the card swiped at check in?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:47 am

I cannot recall the last time I have swiped a physical card at a US Hilton property. I would presume they would go to the card on file.
Points Scrounger likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Redeemed
Am I safe to assume the hotel will post the stay to the card on file rather than the card swiped at check in?
No. The process of swiping a card at check-in (which is not always done if you have a card on file) is to make that card the billing card. If it's the same card as on file, nothing changes. But if you provide a different card for swipe, that's the card they're likely to use for final billing.

I suggest you hand them your ID only and see if they also ask for the credit card or not.

EDITED TO ADD:

Hm, I wonder if you do an online check-in (typically available about a day before physical check-in), if that'll increase the chances they won't ask for your card? The online check-in asks you to verify the card you'll use. Plus, if you have the Hilton app and your phone, you may be able to go straight to your room with your "Digital Key" without ever talking to a clerk! If so, that would seem to reduce the chance that they'll ask to swipe your card, no?

Last edited by sdsearch; Feb 25, 2019 at 10:23 am
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:16 am

I don't think I have ever been asked for a physical card at a US Hilton property. YMMV, I guess.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by arlflyer
I don't think I have ever been asked for a physical card at a US Hilton property. YMMV, I guess.
I've been asked, and have replied to just use the card on file. Have not been forced to change it.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was just asked at an Embassy last week, and with discussion in mind I realized: I haven't been asked at the properties where I've done online check-in, but I didn't do online check-in this case (since there was no choice of rooms online), and in this no-online-check-in case I was asked.

So I'm even more convinced that the theory I wrote up above is sound, that online check-in greatly reduces the chances they'll ask for your card. In the online check-in process, you're re-affirming that this is the card you're committing to use, so it probably makes a swipe legally much less necessary.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:04 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by sdsearch
I was just asked at an Embassy last week, and with discussion in mind I realized: I haven't been asked at the properties where I've done online check-in, but I didn't do online check-in this case (since there was no choice of rooms online), and in this no-online-check-in case I was asked.

So I'm even more convinced that the theory I wrote up above is sound, that online check-in greatly reduces the chances they'll ask for your card. In the online check-in process, you're re-affirming that this is the card you're committing to use, so it probably makes a swipe legally much less necessary.
Yes, doing on line check in should negate them from needing your card at check in. They aren't supposed to ask for ID if you do online check in either but some properties violate that rule and I hit them for it in the survey every time.

If you really want to be sure they will charge your card on file, take it another step and do the digital key if it is offered and you will bypass the front desk entirely then go access your room. Once you've accessed your room, you have passed the point at which they'd want your card for the stay.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
So I'm even more convinced that the theory I wrote up above is sound, that online check-in greatly reduces the chances they'll ask for your card.
It has been my experience that OLCI + successful issuance of a digital key very greatly reduces the chance that they'll ask for my card.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 3:53 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Like others, I cannot recall being asked for the physical card at a Hilton property, although I am frequently asked if I want to charge to the card on file.

During a recent trip, I left my IHG credit card at home. IHG hotels almost always ask me for a physical card (and every one did this time), but none balked at charging the bill to the card on file.

Redeemed, please let us know how things worked out for you.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 3:20 am
Original Poster

Checked into the hotel yesterday and was asked for a physical card. When explained I would like to leave the balance to the card on file was told a card would need to be swiped. I persisted and mentioned that I really wanted to use this card as it was my Hilton card. The desk agent typed a few things and then said, “Oh it’s going to let me do it. Usually we need the card”. So in my case it worked but next time I’ll try to remember to have the actual card on hand.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:41 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

[...] The desk agent typed a few things and then said, “Oh it’s going to let me do it. Usually we need the card”. So in my case it worked but next time I’ll try to remember to have the actual card on hand.
Thanks for the follow-up. I'm glad it worked for you. And, like you, I will try to remember to have the actual card on hand.

Based on my past experience, I would guess that the agent usually asks for the card, and usually would not need the card. But I don't know.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Checked into the hotel yesterday and was asked for a physical card. When explained I would like to leave the balance to the card on file was told a card would need to be swiped. I persisted and mentioned that I really wanted to use this card as it was my Hilton card. The desk agent typed a few things and then said, “Oh it’s going to let me do it. Usually we need the card”. So in my case it worked but next time I’ll try to remember to have the actual card on hand.
You didn't explain: Did you do online check-in before you arrived at the hotel or not?

Thanks.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
If you *really* get pushback, I've actually had Amex Fedex me a physical card to a hotel before.

It was a case where I legit lost the card, and I had a new card in my hand less than 48 hours later, no hassle no cost and no questions asked. This was a base SPG Amex, for what it's worth. (In an era where the physical card was needed for almost everything.)

I have no doubt they'd do this for an Aspire cardholder at the Grand Wailea. Amex wants that charge.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
If you can do an online checkin with a digital key you'll be fine. The only US property I can recall I have to give a credit card to swipe is the NY Fashion district, I think every other time I've been asked if I want to use the card on file.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
As pinniped mentioned above, AMEX seems pretty liberal about overnighting replacement cards out even to customers on the road. They even overnighted my AMEX Plat internationally on one occasion when it was stolen, at no charge.

I can't remember ever not being asked for my ID and a physical card, even when I OLCI. However, I rarely OLCI (and never use digital key), so that may play a factor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.