Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diamond Confirmed Upgrade Pilot

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2019, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Diamond Confirmed Upgrade Pilot

Have any diamond tier members been invited to join a pilot running from January 21st, which will permit them to choose one reservation made no later than March 31st to receive a complimentary confirmed upgrade to a premium room (up to a one bedroom suite)? The pilot is available by invitation only. And very, very few invitations have gone out.

The reservation needs to be made by 3/31/19, but the stay can be for any time up to 364 days after the reservation date? The process of getting the upgrades during the pilot is cumbersome, and hotels have wide latitude to decide what constitutes an upgrade, and very, very few members are being invited to join the pilot. But, if successful, it could lead to an enhancement members have asked about for a long time.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG, IHG, AA, SWA
I have not heard of this, nor received an email. But, interested in what information is shared.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:46 am

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Interested in this, as well! No invites or anything.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:29 am

Programs: Delta PM, Diamond Hilton Honors
Nope - no invite for me
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I would be very surprised if the invitation didn't mention something about keeping it confidential.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Apparent Confirmation

Originally Posted by retiredfromhilton
Have any diamond tier members been invited to join a pilot running from January 21st, which will permit them to choose one reservation made no later than March 31st to receive a complimentary confirmed upgrade to a premium room (up to a one bedroom suite)? The pilot is available by invitation only. And very, very few invitations have gone out.

The reservation needs to be made by 3/31/19, but the stay can be for any time up to 364 days after the reservation date? The process of getting the upgrades during the pilot is cumbersome, and hotels have wide latitude to decide what constitutes an upgrade, and very, very few members are being invited to join the pilot. But, if successful, it could lead to an enhancement members have asked about for a long time.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/exclusive-hilton-pilot-confirmed-suite-upgrades/

There seems to be a problem with the link, but the news broke on The Points Guy 1/25/19 around 6 pm Eastern Time
hugolover likes this.

Last edited by retiredfromhilton; Jan 25, 2019 at 8:37 pm Reason: Error in Link
Old Jan 25, 2019, 11:06 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, VA Platinum
https://thepointsguy.com/news/exclus...uite-upgrades/
Old Jan 26, 2019, 5:42 am

I'd see this as net negative, frankly. By implementing this formal mechanism, it gives properties excuses to not upgrade guests who aren't using these instruments. Now, of course, there's a ton of uncertainty, but many properties will upgrade either proactively or when asked. If they go to this system, then the front desk can simply say "Well, you didn't use an upgrade certificate; if you really wanted a suite, you would have".

I'll put it this way - as of now I get more suites than I would likely be issued numbers of these instruments, if that makes sense.
hugolover, Sisosig and earlyriser like this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
As a 6-year Diamond who can count on two fingers the number of true complementary suite upgrades I’ve received, this is interesting. But, there is a lot of room for abuse by the properties.

What at is the definition of a “suite”? Will properties be required to upgrade to best available, or will they be able to put fuests in the lowest available suite? What will the opt-out list look like? Will this program be subject to blackout dates?
Old Jan 26, 2019, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by aww3583
What at is the definition of a “suite”?
As with most things travel-related, YMMV. Room type/size is only one factor. For example, the Beverly Hilton has “junior suites” that are really just slightly larger single rooms, and some of those on the lower floors look out on a large green roof. I’ll take a regular room with a great Westside view over one of those any day.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by smmrfld

As with most things travel-related, YMMV. Room type/size is only one factor. For example, the Beverly Hilton has “junior suites” that are really just slightly larger single rooms, and some of those on the lower floors look out on a large green roof. I’ll take a regular room with a great Westside view over one of those any day.
Completely agree. We intentionally booked an "Ambassador Suite" at the Hilton Sandestin Resort based solely on the room photos and description. Little did we know that the room was on the 1st floor, shared a wall with a guest exit to the beach, and had a nice view of the air conditioning units of the restaurant next door. The room was fantastic, however, the view, noise, and scenery left a bit to be desired. At a more recent stay, we were in a "family suite". The room was on the top floor, had a separate bedroom, and had bunk beds with TVs for the kids.

Both were suites, but one is vastly more desirable than the other, depending on the goals/expectations for a visit.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
If this is a real suite UG then yay. If it’s to some baloney premium room then it’s a waste.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Nice to hear but I am far more interested in getting Hilton to provide 4pm guaranteed checkout like Hyatt and Marriott. That would be much more useful to me.
There have been times when I know I needed a late checkout that I booked an SPG property instead of Hilton. It matters.
yurtripper likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Want a free room upgrade? (targeted email from Hilton)

Got the message below by email this morning. Don't think this a big deal although it can be used with a reward stay.

My question is how "exclusive" can this be if they want me to be a part of it?
************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ****************

Good News! As a loyal Diamond member, you’re invited to join an exclusive pilot focused on improving our room upgrade perks for our most elite travelers.* By participating, you will have a chance to shape the future of Hilton Honors … and you will get a free room upgrade to use on either a new or existing stay.

Simply email [email protected] before March 31st, 2019 with

•The upcoming stay confirmation # you are looking to upgrade
•Desired premium room
•A callback phone number and the best time to discuss.

We will then give you a call within 24 hours to talk you through the upgrade process.

After your upgraded stay, we will be in touch to hear about your experience so we can continue to improve our Hilton Honors upgrade experience.

Happy Travels,

Hilton Honors

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

*This pilot is subject to the Hilton Honors Terms and Conditions and may be changed or cancelled at any time in Hilton’s sole discretion. Only Hilton Honors members who received this pilot email are eligible to make use of this one-time upgrade and this offer cannot be transferred. This upgrade can only be used once and cannot be reused if the upgraded reservation is cancelled or adjusted after processing.

The upgrade can only be used on an upcoming, one-room reservation of up to seven consecutive nights and cannot be split across multiple reservations. A member can make a new reservation to upgrade, but the member must have a confirmed reservation before executing the upgrade.

The upgrade can only be used for existing reservations made using the Flexible Rate/Best Available Rate, Hilton Honors Discount Rate or a Reward Redemption (all points or points and money) – all other rates (e.g. corporate rates, semi-flex, advance purchase, etc.) are excluded for the purposes of this pilot. The pilot participant must request the upgrade at least 48 hours in advance of the cancellation policy terms of the existing reservation.

This upgrade is not eligible for use to upgrade to executive suites, presidential suites, villas and specialty accommodations/floors/towers (which may include, but not limited to, "Vista," "Villa," or “Club” accommodation types). Premium room type exclusions for use of this upgrade will vary for each hotel.

The upgrade must be processed via phone by March 31st, 2019 but the upgraded reservation can be made for any date one year from the upgrade processing date (e.g. if the upgrade is processed on March 21st, 2019 the desired upgraded stay date can be for any date from the processing date through March 21st, 2020).
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:30 pm

LD here also, and received same message this morning. Doubt I'll use it, as it excludes several rate categories that I use and suite types that I already frequently receive when available. Appreciate the effort to improve upgrades, but if this resembles the final version it won't do much for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.