Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Do credit card Diamonds and "real" Diamonds get different treatment?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do credit card Diamonds and "real" Diamonds get different treatment?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2018, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would say that over the last month or two I have had several properties explicitly thank me for my "Lifetime Status" this is something that was NOT happening before, so I think that they did change something in their IT systems of late relating to this. What I would really like to see is them institute a DOUBLE Lifetime status for those of us that have a combination of 2 of the following, 20 years of Diamond, $400k in spend, 2000 nights, to really differentiate us from the rest of the crowd!
Smrtmom1 likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:02 pm

Some folks upthread have mentioned having a high points balance might help with upgrades. What do we consider a high balance for this purpose?
Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:20 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat

Originally Posted by rbw5t
Some folks upthread have mentioned having a high points balance might help with upgrades. What do we consider a high balance for this purpose?
Here is mine at the moment - these days it can easily get wiped out at a decent hotel in less than a week.
The balance does get mentioned more than the Diamond level at check in.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:49 pm
soy

Programs: various
I would say no difference, and there are plenty that would say that gold is no different. By far the biggest driver of better treatment is repeat business at a particular property
Old Dec 22, 2018, 8:25 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Beano
what is the "black card"?
A worthless piece of black metal that Hilton give you when you hit LTD. It literally just weighs your wallet down and occasionally trips a metal detector. Status is in the computer and the app
Beano likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
A worthless piece of black metal that Hilton give you when you hit LTD. It literally just weighs your wallet down and occasionally trips a metal detector. Status is in the computer and the app
Yes, agree...pulling it out at the FD is just another take on the DYKWIA game...and I've been told leads to some interesting and humorous FD staff mockery once the guest is on their way.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by smmrfld
Yes, agree...pulling it out at the FD is just another take on the DYKWIA game...and I've been told leads to some interesting and humorous FD staff mockery once the guest is on their way.
Almost forgot, this is FlyerTalk where Trolls rule
Old Dec 22, 2018, 8:59 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Tomphot

Almost forgot, this is FlyerTalk where Trolls rule
Trolling? LOL, so I guess sharing the truth is "trolling" to you.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
Trolling? LOL, so I guess sharing the truth is "trolling" to you.
Did I respond to you? My Actual experience is upthread and real.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 3:25 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by soy
I would say no difference, and there are plenty that would say that gold is no different. By far the biggest driver of better treatment is repeat business at a particular property
I found it quite the opposite.... There are two hotels I stayed 20 - 30 days this year, however, do found I received more upgrades when I was new at the hotel.

Also, they became very strict about who visiting the lounge. One of the hotel refused my wife bringing her friend into the lounge as I was not interested in lounge food. Never had this problem at a hotel that doesn't know me, which made me always thought the lounge access was for two with or without me.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 4:37 am

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Couple days ago, I called diamond desk with my wife (she obtained Diamond via BA), the CS greeted her with thank you for being hilton diamond member...., after she finished, turns to me, the same CS, after pull up my info, greeted with thank you for being hilton diamond VIP.....
This thread peeped my interest as I checked in yesterday and saw my status showed "VIP1" on their screen. The app pre-assign me only one lvl upgrade; during check in, I enquire about "paid upgrade", she just gave me the best available room, largest room available and said it's on the house due to my status.

For info purpose, I was not qualified by 30 stays or 60 nights, but qualified diamond on spend (over 120K points, with 32nights), also have aspire card, as well as over 40K spend on Ascend. Less than 1 mil on point balance.

I dig into history found this thread :VIP2 what does it mean?
But, there was no definite answer....
Old Dec 23, 2018, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
Its been discussed before and I had another experience recently in that your point balance on hand is something the front desk sees without needing to dig, and right or wrong it can make a difference. At the moment mine is rather high, which is unfortunate from a devaluation exposure, but last week it got me a 4 pm checkout from an easily impressed front desk clerk. I was prepared to pay up to $50 but never had to proffer the offer.
What is considered a high point balance with Hilton? They're so incredibly easy to earn compared to every other chain that I can think of.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 11:29 am

Curious, why would the FD be impressed with a higher balance? Their hopes that the points will be spent at their properties?

I've little experience with Hilton, but from prior experience, it wouldn't surprise me if some properties treated matched Diamonds differently than earned Diamonds. MLife comes to mind here, and they don't even bother hiding it. I've heard many times, "oh, that person is matched from Hyatt..." As to the Aspire, the moment I read the terms, I thought any traveler would have to get this in general principle, regardless of any prior relationship or preference for Hiltons.

In my view, best card on the market at present.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Originally Posted by Zelucifer
What is considered a high point balance with Hilton? They're so incredibly easy to earn compared to every other chain that I can think of.
No clue, but the few times the FD person made an unsolicited comment IRT my point balance when checking in it was in the 1.5 - 2.5M range.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
I think a million or more points catches their eye (if they are looking). FD said to me once “you have a million points. Thanks for your loyalty.” Only time that happened though. Never any comments about LD status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.