Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Do credit card Diamonds and "real" Diamonds get different treatment?

Old Dec 20, 18, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMEX Membership Rewards

For example, are "real" Diamonds (those that earn status through nights stayed) given higher priority for upgrades than Aspire cardholders?
Old Dec 20, 18, 11:12 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Plat
No difference - Lifetime Diamonds, Credit Card Diamonds and regular Diamonds are all treated the same.
Old Dec 20, 18, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Tomphot View Post
No difference - Lifetime Diamonds, Credit Card Diamonds and regular Diamonds are all treated the same.
Okay, maybe the marketing department says that, but my experience differs.
jamesteroh and Sisosig like this.
Old Dec 20, 18, 11:33 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, EuroBonus (SAS) Diamond, BAEC Silver
Sure, you get the same listed benefits, but from my experience treatment is based on several (other) factors. For example local/brand stay and spend history as a gold can give you a lot better experience than any type of diamond in terms of upgrades and perks. That is up to each property.
Old Dec 20, 18, 11:35 am

Programs: AA Plt Pro/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Its been discussed before and I had another experience recently in that your point balance on hand is something the front desk sees without needing to dig, and right or wrong it can make a difference. At the moment mine is rather high, which is unfortunate from a devaluation exposure, but last week it got me a 4 pm checkout from an easily impressed front desk clerk. I was prepared to pay up to $50 but never had to proffer the offer.
Old Dec 20, 18, 11:36 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Frequenting a property means more if you ask me. Diamond by itself not so much.
Old Dec 20, 18, 1:56 pm

Lifetime Diamond here, and IME a large points balance results in FD upgrades and occasional surprise amenities more frequently than status. Repeat business at a property also has the same effect.
Old Dec 20, 18, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
I usually maintain my status through activity, not card spend, but perhaps one year out of five I have to rely on spend. I haven’t really noticed a difference. Keep in mind that status is earned three different ways: 30 stays/ 60 nights/ 120K base points. I tend to do a lot of overnight trips, so I’m earning Diamond on stays, not nights (2018: 30+ stays, 50 nights). The folks spending 60+ nights at Hilton properties are obviously likely to be more valuable to Hilton. I really think that the customer experience is influenced more by who is behind the front desk than status.
Old Dec 20, 18, 6:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'd really like to hear from someone who's seen how this displays on Hilton's system, because my sense is that the properties know when it's Aspire Diamond status and that this may indeed result in disparate treatment. As someone who's had Diamond both ways, it sure feels that way.
Old Dec 20, 18, 6:31 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I'd really like to hear from someone who's seen how this displays on Hilton's system, because my sense is that the properties know when it's Aspire Diamond status and that this may indeed result in disparate treatment.
Properties donít know if someone is a Lifetime Diamond so I doubt they can tell if someone has it via CC.
Old Dec 20, 18, 6:31 pm

I'd really like to hear from someone who's seen how this displays on Hilton's system, because my sense is that the properties know when it's Aspire Diamond status and that this may indeed result in disparate treatment. As someone who's had Diamond both ways, it sure feels that way.
YMMV but from my experience the front desk doesn't see how you got your diamond status. Not saying they can't look it up if they wanted to but in my experience it doesn't seem like they see this by default.
Usually when I check in and they see my Diamond status they will make a comment along the lines of "Diamond status, you must travel a lot!" I have Diamond status through the Aspire card.

I do travel quite a bit but not enough to get Diamond status...especially considering i don't always stay at a Hilton
Smrtmom1 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 18, 6:52 pm

Programs: HH Gold,
Because there are so many diamonds due to the credit cards now, perhaps you are seeing a difference in diamond treatment due to the sheer numbers.

I know being Gold is nothing special, but I swear I usually get fantastic service. Upgrades are a surprise when they happen, but they happen.

But, in my experience, making a personal connection with the person who is at the check in desk (especially in smaller, limited service hotels) makes a bigger difference.

90% of the time, it will not mean any special treatment, but that one time you need some help or a change in rooms, or something, its the personal connection that seems to make the difference.

I have had large point balance in the past, and they have been commented upon by the clerk, but I like to spend them pretty quickly these days.
Old Dec 20, 18, 7:08 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum / HHonors Diamond / Hyatt Globalist / AA EX Platinum
I think repeat business at the same hotel is the most likely predictor of special treatment. I'm currently a credit card Diamond, a few years ago I was a Diamond based on work travel stays, I truly don't see any difference in treatment.
Admiral Ackbar and Beano like this.
Old Dec 20, 18, 8:00 pm

Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Prefacing that I've been out of the loop on Hilton for a while, there's no easy way to know the precise nature of a guest's Diamond status through the PMS - but with some digging, it can be determined (e.g., via reviewing a guest's stay history). But the short answer is that it's unlikely any FD agent is going to care enough.

However, the guest's point balance is displayed prominently, which is why some people believe it matters in terms of treatment/upgrades. Note, of course, that point balance is certainly no definitive measure of determining if Diamond was made 'the hard way', speaking as someone who had 2M+ point balance through many years of only attaining Diamond via CC.
Old Dec 20, 18, 9:15 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
I guess points balance is a way for them to quickly see if someone is "invested" in their brand as they will likely stay in a Hilton brand hotel sometime in the future to use those points.

Does anyone know how far back the front desk can see your stay history? If someone has 500k points that they accumulated a few years ago but only stay at Hilton brands once or twice a year just to keep the balance from expiring, then simply looking at the past year may not be enough.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: