Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Credit / Points For Overlapping Reservations Under the Same Name

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:53 am
Original Poster

I have a reservation at a property for Dec. 20th to Jan. 2nd. I need to extend my stay by an extra 12 days (until Jan. 14th). I will also have guests for two nights between the 31st and the 2nd so I need an extra room during that time. Instead of booking 2 additional reservations (on top of my Dec. 20th to Jan. 2nd reservation), I'd like to book one reservation under my name for the 31st to Jan. 14th since the extended stay rate is better than booking the reservation separately.

Will I be able to get credit / points for the two overlapping nights (Dec. 31st to Jan. 2) since both rooms will be booked under my name? If not, will there be any hiccups when it comes to receiving credit / points for the rest of the stay since the start of the stay started during overlapping nights? I know some chains do not recognize overlapping nights and wanted to know if this was the case with Hilton.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 5:39 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
This is a tricky one.

In theory if both rooms are at the same property and charged to the same folio you should be OK, but I'm not sure how that works when the rooms aren't booked for the same period of time.

Outside of that one exception you can only receive credit for one stay at a time, and in my experience whichever stay posts first (regardless of length/# of pounts, etc) will "lock out" the other one. In your case I would expect that if you had one stay 20 December - 14 January and one say 31 December - 2 January, this means you would receive credit for the Dec 31 - Jan 2 stay and nothing at all for the 20 Dec - 14 Jan stay.

You can request that the shorter stay be reversed and the 2nd stay be posted instead but it's a pain in the rear. IMO, I'd check with the property and if they can't bill the 2nd room to the same folio I'd either leave the Honors # completely off that reservation or credit it to your guests Honors account, etc.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Delta Tupperware Medallion, National EE
Based on my experience, you should have no problems getting points for both stays. In a past life, I would stay on location in the same hotel for up to three months solid. I occasionally would leave for the weekend and see the sights nearby, but outside of day trip distance, so I'd use point for a night 100 miles away while keeping my long term. I never had an issue receiving credit for simultaneous stays.

That is unless things have changed. It's been a year since I did this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by eric_o
Based on my experience, you should have no problems getting points for both stays. In a past life, I would stay on location in the same hotel for up to three months solid. I occasionally would leave for the weekend and see the sights nearby, but outside of day trip distance, so I'd use point for a night 100 miles away while keeping my long term. I never had an issue receiving credit for simultaneous stays.

That is unless things have changed. It's been a year since I did this.
I have a feeling that the long stay hotel was doing something for you behind the scenes. I've had 3 separate occasions in the past two years with issues (the first, I was legitimately unaware of the restriction and the Diamond Desk corrected my misapprehension -- in a similar fact pattern (was at a week+ long stay, wife had business trip about 100 miles away, met up for the night); the second I thought both rooms were being charged to the same folio but the hotel split them for some reason; and the third was a canceled flight so I booked an airport hotel at "City B" and called "City C" to adjust the stay... City C never adjusted the hotel so the stay got rejected since the first night was in 2 paces at once)
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:05 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Is it possible to shorten the Dec 20-Jan 2 stay, and book Dec 31-Jan 2 + Dec 31-Jan 14? If you contact the hotel they might also be able to split the present booking without changing the rate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.