Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Canopy by Hilton Portland Pearl District {US-OR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canopy by Hilton Portland Pearl District {US-OR}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:27 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Arrow Canopy by Hilton Portland Pearl District {US-OR}

Stay Report - 11/30 - 12/1

Location: A definite selling point to the hotel. It's located on 9th Avenue five blocks north of Burnside. You can walk to all the best parts of downtown Portland really easily. Also, there's a Portland Streetcar stop two blocks away and a MAX Light Rail four. It's easy walking distance to Union Station and a $20 Uber ride to PDX. I also didn't see any of the homeless population that's become a problem in Portland around the hotel.

Hotel: This was my first Canopy so I wasn't sure what to expect. Overall I was pretty impressed. There's a small art gallery off the lobby which was a nice touch. The lobby itself has a sitting area, restaurant that serves free breakfast and also dinner (not free though), small business center and a bar. There's also a shop but it only sells Canopy swag.

Check In: My companion checked in first and when I arrived I asked for a key but was told rudely the system was down. In fact, most of the staff here were pretty rude and indifferent which was unfortunate. We had to call several times later for items from housekeeping and when we asked to store our bags we were told no and after I went to argue the agent told me she was just kidding. It was really odd.

Room: Pretty nice overall. Large king sized bed, desk area, big TV, nice sized bathroom with a good shower and toiletries and a small closet area

Breakfast: Is complimentary and ran from 6-10. They had two kinds of bread pudding, some flat breads, pastries, fruit, yogurt and cereal. The food was good but when I asked about more pastries after they'd run out at 9:30 I was told there wouldn't be any.

My rate was a little steep at $151 plus tax but this is a good hotel for staying in downtown Portland. It's not the Nines but its location is solid which overcomes the aloof employees.

Last edited by CMK10; Dec 4, 2018 at 4:09 pm
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:40 am

This is an outstanding property and I found the staff to be completely the opposite of what was depicted in the post above - unfailingly polite and accommodating. Also the post above should be edited to reflect that only breakfast is included, not dinner. Food quality was uniformly outstanding as well...almost everything is locally-sourced per Canopy brand standard.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 4:10 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by smmrfld
This is an outstanding property and I found the staff to be completely the opposite of what was depicted in the post above - unfailingly polite and accommodating. Also the post above should be edited to reflect that only breakfast is included, not dinner. Food quality was uniformly outstanding as well...almost everything is locally-sourced per Canopy brand standard.
I have made the edits. I wish I'd had your experience, both my companion and I were really miffed by how we were treated by the staff.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 5:07 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Wow. That bathroom is dead nuts exact same as the Canopy I stayed at in Iceland. Talk about staying on-brand!

Good review. I've been wanting to pop over and check this property out, mostly because of the access from rail / no car makes it an easy pop-in for a weekend jaunt.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 10:22 pm

So they have changed. Breakfast isn't free for everyone (free for diamonds, etc). Supposedly they have "wait staff" now for breakfast (many people standing around doing nothing). And the spread is now worse (because you cannot give away good stuff for free, so you charge for worse food). What an improvement.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:27 am

My wife and I are planning 3 days in Portland in the winter season and were looking at this location in particular as Hilton Diamond. $125 a night seems very good for off-peak at this property. There are some other properties that look good at the same prices as well (Heathman, Benson, Kimpton, Hotel Deluxe), but not in the Hilton family.

Is diamond even worth much here? No suites. No lounge. No breakfast vouchers. What's the point?

EDIT- it appears diamonds do get free breakfast now that they aren't doing free breakfast for all.

Last edited by jbandy10; Aug 20, 2019 at 11:32 am
Old Aug 20, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Isn't free breakfast a Canopy brand standard? How is this property avoiding that obligation?
Old Oct 8, 2019, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP Gold, UN Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Any Update On This Property?

Will be staying here this coming weekend. Any updates on why they are charging for breakfast?
Old Jan 1, 2020, 12:28 pm

I was here for three nights. A lot of good and bad.

First, the bad.
-We arrived around 5:00 PM on a weeknight and everything was great. Room was ready. Diamond status recognized. We were still on East Coast time, so we went to bed around 10:00 PM very tired. Fast forward to midnight and a group of rowdy young men stumble into the room next door to us sounding very drunk. This continued until 2:00 AM when my sobbing wife finally lost her nerve and asked me to call the desk. I very politely asked if there was anything that could be done. The clerk was polite, and said they would definitely send someone to talk to them since it was long after quiet hours began.
Nothing was done. The noise continued until 3:30 AM and I am quite sure that no one said anything to them. This by itself was enough to make it one of the worst stays I've ever had. If you are unwilling to ask guests to control themselves after 2:00 AM, you're never getting my business again.
-Breakfast is not free. It's also a pathetic spread... I was asked immediately after sitting down if I was a eligible for free breakfast with Diamond/Gold status. I shudder to think what they are charging for the spread I'm going to detail: Bagels, bread, cereal, yogurt, some fruit, and a couple of pastries. No eggs, no bacon, no ham, no meat, no waffles, just basic carbs. It's probably the most limited breakfast selection I've ever seen. If you are health conscious, it's going to be a non-option for you. Everything is just carbs and stupid yogurt toppings that no one wants.

The rooms are great. Bathrooms are nice. Everything looks new. The Canopy brand has a lot of character. It's a new hotel and it shows. The beds are a little firm and noisy. To be honest, the soundproofing in the walls actually seems good, but our neighbors on night 1 were so drunk that it did little to help. Complimentary umbrellas are nice. Location is terrific.

I don't know when we'll return to Portland, but we won't stay here again after the bad staff experience. My wife was quite literally in tears, trying to sleep from jet lag while drunk men next door yelled F bombs and screamed at the TV at 2:00 AM. Honestly, costumer service in this city is all over the place. A few people seem genuinely nice, but by and large, every worker here gives strong vibes of "What do I need to say to you so you will stop talking to me so I can check my phone again?" Then again, that's becoming every city these days. It just seems more common here.

Would not pay cash for breakfast here under any circumstances.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Just getting through a stay here. They are only giving Diamonds a to-go bag with fruit, juice, and yogurt for breakfast at the moment as the onsite restaurant is closed for mornings except for Sunday brunch. I skipped it because “meh”. There’s a bakery (Neuvrei) around the corner where a cheap breakfast is available- that and some tea and hot water from the Nespresso did the trick. Room rates were low; the valet parking is no more, but there’s surface parking around. Rooms are perfectly fine as mentioned- I found the bed to be very comfortable. Room rate was under $120, which is pretty good for a hotel like this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 11:31 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Will be staying here the weekend before Thanksgiving. I will update if the breakfast changed
Old Oct 29, 2021, 2:44 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
I'm there on Monday

Reminder me and I can post an update
Old Oct 30, 2021, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by lcohen999
I'm there on Monday

Reminder me and I can post an update
Reminder to post an update after (and/or during) your stay!

David
Old Nov 2, 2021, 5:18 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by DELee
Reminder to post an update after (and/or during) your stay!

David
Breakfast restaurant has re-opened. Usually daily F&B credit applies
Old Nov 2, 2021, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by lcohen999
Breakfast restaurant has re-opened. Usually daily F&B credit applies
Thanks for following up. Just to clarify, "Usually daily F&B credit applies" means Hilton's current daily F&B credit? Or something else specific to this hotel?

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.