Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Late Check Out" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Late Check Out" thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2018, 12:26 am

What's a reasonable time for late check-out at Hilton?

I haven't asked for late checkout in years. The last times I did ask at US Hiltons, it seemed 1pm was the norm, and on the occasions I was granted 2-3pm, the hotels acted as if they were bending over backward.

Meanwhile Starwood and now Marriott guarantee 4pm checkout at most properties for even the lowest elite level.

Is Hilton still relatively stingy or have things changed?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 12:54 am
cjd

Originally Posted by davie355
I haven't asked for late checkout in years. The last times I did ask at US Hiltons, it seemed 1pm was the norm, and on the occasions I was granted 2-3pm, the hotels acted as if they were bending over backward.

Meanwhile Starwood and now Marriott guarantee 4pm checkout at most properties for even the lowest elite level.

Is Hilton still relatively stingy or have things changed?
It can vary from hotel to hotel and depends on how busy and often what mood the front desk agent is in. I can usually get a 2pm checkout, but have had 6pm at the Conrad Singapore and been refused at some hotels. So no easy answer to the question. Always ask for later than you want and they may compromise.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
IME 2pm is usually granted at Hilton hotels but I can't rely on much beyond that.

"Reasonable"? I'm sure individual Hyatt and SPG hotels complained about guaranteed 4pm checkouts when it was first introduced. But then they re-organised their housekeeping systems and surely realised that it's not that big of a deal to clean a handful of rooms in the late afternoon when most guests don't arrive at the 3pm standard check-in time.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 4:32 am

I've experienced the normal check-out time plus zero hours (no late check.out at all) up to normal check-out time plus 10 hours (very late check-out). 2pm is no problem most of the stays.

At many hotels they assign your room to the next guest, before they know his check-in time. So it often doesn't help much to be Gold or Diamond. If they can't or don't want to reassign that guest to another room, there is a conflict between your late check-out and his (early) check-in, especially if it's about a rare kind of room.

At Hilton I'm used to book an additional night in advance, if I really need a very late check out.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by davie355

Not true. Marriott guarantees 4pm check out as a Plat benefit (50 nights) and continues Starwood's exclusion of resort and conference properties - likely where one most needs a late check-out.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Late checkout quota? Something new?

Hi all. Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever been told by the Front Desk when requesting a late checkout that “there are no more late checkouts left”?
This happened to me last Sunday morning when I called down to the FD to ask for a late checkout around 10am. I was never asked for my room number (even though it should have been available on her telephone screen when I called along with my Diamond status). I was simply told that there were no more late checkouts available.

I thanked her, packed my bags immediately and went down to FD and told them what I thought about being summarily dismissed when I requested my late checkout. The one lady who checked me in and was way more friendly than the lady who answered the phone when I called down apologized profusely for her colleague who just stood there and kept repeating “but that’s what housekeeping told me”. I said to her, far be it from me to provide customer service training for Hilton, but the correct thing to do would be to look up the guest’s room number and status and if you are unsure, ask a supervisor whether a late checkout can be extended to this guest.

Mind you, the friendly agent looked up my status when she apologized and offered to extend my stay until 1pm which is all I wanted in the first place. I didn’t accept her offer as I was already packed.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Late checkout is always provided on a first come, first served basis and always subject to availability. Not sure what you have to complain about. Housekeeping had already told the employee they were at max in terms of late checkout.

Sorry, but this seems more DYKIAD. (Don't you know I'm a Diamond)
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
It happened to me, as a Diamond, several years ago at Hilton Auckland. The words were virtually the same as the ones you used. I was unable to change their minds.

It makes perfect sense to me. They need to cater for incoming guests and should have a good idea of how many rooms they need at roughly what times. It would vary from day to day. While there is never an excuse for rudeness I suspect you are being a touch sensitive.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 3:09 pm

Finite number of rooms in the hotel and high occupancy rates. If every guest had a 4 PM check-out and a 12 PM check-in, well...you do the math.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 3:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Quota is exactly what it is. Going over the quota or having guests who simply refuse to check out on time is exactly what causes arriving guests to be forced to wait past the check-in time.

This one is a zero-sum game which is dependent totally on whether you are checking out or in as to your views.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 4:01 pm

Thank you all. I got the answers I expected. Mods, please feel free to close and lock this thread.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 4:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
If you want a better chance of a late check out, ask for it the night before.
You waited until 10am in the morning of the day you wre leaving...which is like leaving it to the last minute.

Now OP doesn't like the answers he/she is getting from other flyertalk expierenced travel veterans and wants mods to lock this thread ? LOL...real mature.

Last edited by est-gratuite; Nov 13, 2018 at 4:54 pm
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:02 pm

There is nothing left to be said, so why continue the debate? I am also an “experienced” traveler and in my 25+ years of constant travel, I had never been denied a late checkout by Hilton on those grounds. As any seasoned travel would also know, the majority of Hiltons in the USA don’t allow you to request a late checkout the night before (in this case I was told to ask again in the morning). I asked when I woke up and was denied. End of story.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I’ve been to some properties where the first thing out of the mouths of FD staff is always “No” to late checkouts. I always politely ask them to check with their supervisor or manager. Rarely am I disappointed in the end. I’m generally asking for a 1 or 2 hour extension, and rarely are the properties even close to full.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ceebee100
There is nothing left to be said, so why continue the debate? I am also an “experienced” traveler and in my 25+ years of constant travel, I had never been denied a late checkout by Hilton on those grounds. As any seasoned travel would also know, the majority of Hiltons in the USA don’t allow you to request a late checkout the night before (in this case I was told to ask again in the morning). I asked when I woke up and was denied. End of story.
I've never had issue asking night before. On one night stays they usually proactively ask me during checkin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.