Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Frequent 'maintenance' downtime is a nuisance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2018, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Hilton's frequent site downtime ostensibly due to "maintenance" is a complete nuisance, with the latest being a two day period (30-31 October) where one cannot make or modify online bookings!
Old Oct 30, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by puchong
Hilton's frequent site downtime ostensibly due to "maintenance" is a complete nuisance, with the latest being a two day period (30-31 October) where one cannot make or modify online bookings!
Well this is actually a database upgrade. I do agree its annoying and not sure why its in the middle of the week (versus a slow weekend).

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...ed-for-outage/
Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Did we really need to start another thread when theresalready one on the downtime? DT sucks. However if they don't do it than people complain. Either when the system fails or can't do the latest, newest things.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:35 am

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Did we really need to start another thread when theresalready one on the downtime? DT sucks. However if they don't do it than people complain. Either when the system fails or can't do the latest, newest things.
I think the OP is referring to the weekly outages that always seem to happen during daytime in Asia (at night in the US). Yes I agree it's very annoying and I hope the new system will be more reliable.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I received two emails informing me of the downtime. I'd rather have planned outages that I can work around, rather than websites falling over precisely when I need them.

It's like maintaining bridges and highways. Everybody moans about the lane closures, maintenance shutdowns... until the bridge collapses and then everybody blames those who didn't order the maintenance to be done...
Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:03 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
What companies have IT outages every week for hours? One can only hope the current upgrade means an end to those.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:40 am

Programs: HH Diamond, VA Platinum
Originally Posted by puchong
You can still make bookings just not with points.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:04 am

I take it y'all haven't been spending much time over on the Marriott site in about the last, oh, three months? I've been split between the two, and Hilton is like a dream by comparison!
Seabilly likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:43 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
The weekly ones are a pain, I agree.

They are the only site I know that partially shuts weekly for hours.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:12 am

Quick rant- tried to make a points booking yesterday (Oct 30th), could search the hotel, see the points, etc., could not complete the booking (as was indicated buy the maintenance banner, fair enough) go in today to make the booking and it is now 4000 points higher. Thanks, Hilton.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MIAFlyer
Quick rant- tried to make a points booking yesterday (Oct 30th), could search the hotel, see the points, etc., could not complete the booking (as was indicated buy the maintenance banner, fair enough) go in today to make the booking and it is now 4000 points higher. Thanks, Hilton.
That is a feature of the new system. You're welcome.

The Hilton Programming Team.
Seabilly and MIAFlyer like this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:47 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by MIAFlyer
This doesn't mean much unless you can confirm it was at the lower price before Oct 30.

And even if it was at the lower price earlier, all it means is that someone else beat you to the booking when the "maintenance" was done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.