Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Garden Inn London Heathrow Terminal 2 { GBR }

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
For a review of this hotel, including photos and suggested terminal routes, go to post 113:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1937681-hilton-garden-inn-london-heathrow-terminal-2-gbr.html#post31272164

This hotel is near the Arrivals level 1 of Heathrow Terminal 2, the Queen's Terminal. It's a short walk via the carpark, and it is signposted. Photos in this post 55:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1937681-hilton-garden-inn-london-heathrow-terminal-2-gbr.html#post31183249
Print Wikipost

Hilton Garden Inn London Heathrow Terminal 2 { GBR }

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Glad this worked out for you all. Must have been rather stressful. Look forward to review and photos! Thanks for keeping us posted!
wizla and MoodyB like this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 5:12 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Just checked out.

A few initial observations:

Pros: location, total soundproofing, cleanliness

Cons: Intermittent wifi;
bathroom design is a fail. No three prong electrical outlet for hair dryer, which has to be used at the desk in the main room. No door or curtain to the shower cubicle so that bathroom floor floods during a North American style shower. Perhaps the Brits bathe differently? Shower control located directly under the rainfall shower head, so impossible to avoid getting soaked with cold water when starting the shower. Other new hotels put shower control at the far end of the shower space from the spray.
At least the toilet and sink work ok!

Last point for those who are sensitive, there’s a significant amount of off gassing going on from the new carpet. With sealed windows and recirculated ventilation, this could trigger those who are sensitive to such volatile organic compounds. I’d wait three months before coming back on that point alone.

Last edited by transportprof; Jul 4, 2019 at 5:38 am
Old Jul 4, 2019, 6:08 am

Thanks for the review. We don’t put electrical sockets in the bathrooms here, building regs say they have to be three metres from the bath or shower - which puts most out of range.
Markie and MoodyB like this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by residentx
Thanks for the review. We don’t put electrical sockets in the bathrooms here, building regs say they have to be three metres from the bath or shower - which puts most out of range.
There are two electrical sockets in the bathroom. They are two point sockets for 110 and 220 volt uses. But the hairdryer has a three pin plug!
hugolover likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The shower setup is stupid and wrong. The controls are supposed to be opposite the “door” to get inside. Then you won’t get wet.

Its also funny when they place the dispensers at Hamptons near to the shower, instead at the opposite ends, so they fill with water if the shower is focussed on them.

The leaking HGI and Hampton showers is the same the world over. If it wasn’t installed at the right angle the best they can do is to put a little lip on the edge of the shower to try to control a reasonable flow. The design is such that it’s always possible to flood the bathroom if you direct a high flow of water near the edge.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 7:43 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
[QUOTE]..so that bathroom floor floods during a North American style shower. Perhaps the Brits bathe differently?..QUOTE]

Informative thread but....what the heck does that mean
wizla likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by transportprof

There are two electrical sockets in the bathroom. They are two point sockets for 110 and 220 volt uses. But the hairdryer has a three pin plug!
Yep - we call those shaver sockets. Allowed!
Old Jul 4, 2019, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=NoY;31268819]
..so that bathroom floor floods during a North American style shower. Perhaps the Brits bathe differently?..QUOTE]

Informative thread but....what the heck does that mean
Well, what the heck are those low “tubs” that’s like sitting in a flooded shower. Fixed shower heads. That’s a good start of the difference...!
Old Jul 4, 2019, 7:50 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
[QUOTE=hugolover;31268837]
Originally Posted by NoY
[i]

Well, what the heck are those low “tubs” that’s like sitting in a flooded shower. Fixed shower heads. That’s a good start of the difference...!
Am none the wiser. Sorry
Old Jul 4, 2019, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No problem! A big thread drift here. Visit some Hilton properties stateside (USA) and you’ll see what I’m talking about .
NoY likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
Good to know about the carpet - that rebooking probably saved me from getting sick! Will give it a few months then. Ugh.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: MileagePlus Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Right now flying back to Denver. I was able to complete my HGI Heathrow Terminal 2 review on the plane. I hope that it may help some of you! As I just learned to say, "Cheerio!"

Last edited by Canarsie; Jul 17, 2019 at 11:07 pm Reason: Removed link due to violation of FlyerTalk Rule 7: https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#externallinks
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:24 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by rabilancia
Right now flying back to Denver. I was able to complete my HGI Heathrow Terminal 2 review on the plane. I hope that it may help some of you! As I just learned to say, "Cheerio!"
Looks good and room size looks much bigger compared to the HGI at Hatton Cross station. Pity about the shower, but that's still much better I hope than the (dangerous) tub faucets at the Hatton Cross HGI which does not mix the cold/hot water safely...

Might try this property if the price is right the next time I need a place at LHR.

Thanks for the review!
Cheers!

Last edited by Canarsie; Jul 17, 2019 at 11:06 pm Reason: Removed now-deleted content from quote.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:55 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
No three prong electrical outlet for hair dryer, which has to be used at the desk in the main room.
Using a hairdryer (in particular) in the bathroom isn't a good idea when mains voltage is 110v, but at 230 / 240v it is beyond foolish. The UK introduced a set of Building Regulations, initially in the 1970s, that control this issue, and in essence you are not allowed direct mains power in bathroom sockets, and there are strict rules on wiring up bathrooms. So if there is a shaver power point, this will be typically 110v, protected by RCD and insulated from the mains via the stepdown voltage transformer. Oh and a 3amp fuse just in case. It can actually be 220-240v provided it is insulated from mains, RCD and protected, often it still goes via a transformer. These Building Regulations have saved about 4,000 lives since their introduction, accidental death by electrocution in the home in the UK has almost been eliminated. Which is more than can be said for the USA. To be clear, mains electrocution at 110v when wet is still pretty serious, it can still result in death in some cases, just more slowly and painfully.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I just tried to use on line check in via the app and it wasn’t working.
I was able to online check-in today, had 140 rooms to choose from, shown as King or Twin and no other description, no floor map, so I just chose random one on floor 9.
MoodyB likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.