Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IT Update Oct 30-31, 2018

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by smmrfld

I can only surmise that this post is satire; if it was actually meant to be taken seriously, OP would be well-served by actually reading the numerous documented examples of a massive fail.
I can only surmise that this post was written by someone with reading comprehension issues.

If you had actually read my post, you would have seen that I shared no opinion about whether the maintenance event was successful or not. I really don't have an opinion. My question, which you didn't address, was why Hilton continues to beat their head against the wall in here. They get beat up if they do, they get beat up if they don't. So, why do they bother?

Wouldn't we be way better off if they just bailed on us and left us to our own devices?
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:34 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
What do you want us to do, apologize for having the high expectation that things should work as expected?

Also, looking at the posts during the upgrade, they're merely reports of what users were observing, and don't appear to be complaints, although I can see why one could see it that way.

As for myself personally, no complaints here, just reporting in on what's going on with my account (and to see whether anyone else is having the same issues).
Old Nov 8, 2018, 2:40 am
cjd

Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

We appreciate your patience as we work to ensure all stays, nights and Points are reflected in your account following the system update. Your latest account information should be available within the next few days.

Thank you!
Lauren
Thanks Lauren. My stay from last week has now posted correctly and total nights and stays all updated.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 4:13 am
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
There should be an exact date for this. Can't be open ended"a few days".
florens and diburning like this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

We appreciate your patience as we work to ensure all stays, nights and Points are reflected in your account following the system update. Your latest account information should be available within the next few days.

Thank you!
Lauren
This is not new information or additional information but just the exact same message that is on the website. Do you have any information about why it is taking over a week in addition to the 2 day planned outage? To us it looks like bad planning, bad communication and total ineptness of Hilton IT. Is there any additional information that makes sense of the situation so we can think otherwise?
diburning likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 4:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Since I survived the UA/CO merger disaster and chose to avoid the Marriott/Starwood merger this year I feel like this isn't as bad,
I'm slightly annoyed that points from a stay last week still have not posted yet, but this is not in the same GALAXY as the Marriott/SPG integration, which continues to be an ongoing dumpster fire of epic proportion.
COSPILOT and diburning like this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:53 am

Explanation

Originally Posted by mileshound
This is not new information or additional information but just the exact same message that is on the website. Do you have any information about why it is taking over a week in addition to the 2 day planned outage? To us it looks like bad planning, bad communication and total ineptness of Hilton IT. Is there any additional information that makes sense of the situation so we can think otherwise?

Hilton switched vendors for the management of Honors (Goodbye, Epsilon. Hello Olson). At exactly the same time they did away with the computer system (Polaris) that agents used to work on matters related to Honors. It was a bold move since they completely did away with Polaris when they made the switch of vendors. Agents are now managing Honors through Hilton's newly adopted relationship management vendor, Salesforce. This is a big deal. Agents who in many cases had decades of experience with Polaris are newbies. (When Hilton migrated reservations to Salesforce, they left its predecessor (Journey) available, which many agents have found very helpful.

As is always the case, the change did not exactly go as planned. E. g.: some agents are finding they do not have access to functions they need; the new system generates 10 digit Honors numbers, Hilton's Guest Assistance and legacy reservations system won't take 10 digit numbers. There are hosts of other issues as well.

I have no doubt Hilton will eventually award all of the points they should. But I would not wager on when 'eventually' will be.
amanuensis, diburning and mrkflyer like this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm slightly annoyed that points from a stay last week still have not posted yet, but this is not in the same GALAXY as the Marriott/SPG integration, which continues to be an ongoing dumpster fire of epic proportion.
​​​​​​Completely agree. My account has updated and waiting a little over a week is nothing compared to what Marriott members are dealing with.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: United Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Six Continents Spire, Hilton Hhonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
My recent stay posted with base, double bonus and Diamond bonus as expected, but missing the 1000 MyWay points for Embassy Suites
Old Nov 8, 2018, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Looks like finally everything of mine is caught up. Hope this new system is actually better.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by retiredfromhilton
Hilton switched vendors for the management of Honors (Goodbye, Epsilon. Hello Olson). At exactly the same time they did away with the computer system (Polaris) that agents used to work on matters related to Honors. It was a bold move since they completely did away with Polaris when they made the switch of vendors. Agents are now managing Honors through Hilton's newly adopted relationship management vendor, Salesforce. This is a big deal. Agents who in many cases had decades of experience with Polaris are newbies. (When Hilton migrated reservations to Salesforce, they left its predecessor (Journey) available, which many agents have found very helpful.

As is always the case, the change did not exactly go as planned. E. g.: some agents are finding they do not have access to functions they need; the new system generates 10 digit Honors numbers, Hilton's Guest Assistance and legacy reservations system won't take 10 digit numbers. There are hosts of other issues as well.

I have no doubt Hilton will eventually award all of the points they should. But I would not wager on when 'eventually' will be.
Thank you for posting. I have about 4 cancelled points stay that required cancelling to change the dates that points have not been returned yet. Also a one night paid stay Nov 1 that has not posted. So just letting everyone know its not completely resolved yet.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by NauticalWheeler
​​​​​​Completely agree. My account has updated and waiting a little over a week is nothing compared to what Marriott members are dealing with.
Yes, well said.

I've been guilty of piling on in this thread, but the random changes/issues associated with this update have been entertaining.

I now have points activity (small bonus for attending an HGVC presentation) for activity I've never engaged in. The promotions page shows I'm enrolled in "HRGF Fast Track" and I have no idea what that means.

But, all in all, other than a delay in posting points for two recent stays, everything is basically as normal. I've made points, points + cash, and cash reservations in the past several days without a problem. Hopefully this update will make things smoother for HHonors and their IT department.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by retiredfromhilton

Thanks for this but still Hilton did a bad job of managing expectations, training agents and all things related to the conversion. Is anything working well? As for the items you mention as did not go as planned, they had to have been known issues during the testing. That means someone made the call to continue without resolving. It appears that there was more pressure to meet a deadline than to do it flawlessly. In the end, not a well managed conversion. Shame on Hilton and we are paying the price.

I think we could all deal with agents fumbling around the new system for a while. Something that used to take 2 minutes could take 5-10 minutes. We all have been there and can understand the issues. What is frustrating is the automation not working. A basic function of cancelling an award reservation but then not having the points available to rebook for over a week is just inexcusable.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mileshound
Thanks for this but still Hilton did a bad job of managing expectations, training agents and all things related to the conversion. Is anything working well? As for the items you mention as did not go as planned, they had to have been known issues during the testing. That means someone made the call to continue without resolving. It appears that there was more pressure to meet a deadline than to do it flawlessly. In the end, not a well managed conversion. Shame on Hilton and we are paying the price.

I think we could all deal with agents fumbling around the new system for a while. Something that used to take 2 minutes could take 5-10 minutes. We all have been there and can understand the issues. What is frustrating is the automation not working. A basic function of cancelling an award reservation but then not having the points available to rebook for over a week is just inexcusable.
I'm likewise interested in/thankful for the information -- and Googling is turning up precious little about Honors + Epsilon or Honors + Olson --but based on the timing and the vendor changeover I can only assume that the Epsilon contract expired on 11/1 with either no provisions for holdover or unreasonable (in Hilton's POV, of course) terms for holdover that forced the cutover.

I've given the "no go" during go/no go calls on cutovers for much smaller concerns -- but we also risk manage our/our clients cutovers much more aggressively. A late success is better than an early (on time) failure, IMO.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
Yeah? I just went back and looked, and basically every post PRIOR to the event was either complaints or sarcasm. People were complaining DURING the event (which they had been forewarned about) that things weren't working correctly, and there has been steady complaining AFTER the event.

So tell me - what benefit did Hilton realize from putting the extra effort into creating this post, and giving us all heads-up? I genuinely don't get it.
I'm not sure what you are bantering about, but you quoted my "complaint" in your response. I specifically posted AFTER the update event was over. The phone app, website, etc. all stated that the updates were completed. When it's completed, I expect things to work - you know, things like booking a hotel room and using stated benefits. However, when they corrected the issue, I also updated my post to reflect that it was fixed and provided a data point of my observations. That's what people do here on FT. It wouldn't be much of a forum if no one ever said anything.

I for one appreciate that Hilton has a presence here to address the issues en masse. It also probably saves them resources from having to respond to 100 emails when people can just come here and see it answered/addressed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.