Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Charge for In-Room Coffee at ES

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2018, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Charge for In-Room Coffee at ES

I am at an Embassy Suites outside Washington, DC. I was last at this hotel two years ago, so it was my surprise to see purchase items on the wet bar. There is a large bottle of Voss water for $5. What shocks me, however, is a $2 charge to use one of the coffee packets for the in-room machine. I don't think I have come across any Hilton family hotels yet who have charged for in-room coffee, let alone a major brand (even a Fairmont I stayed at had free K-cups for the in-room machine). This is also in a suburban area, not a major city. Of course, you can go get free coffee during breakfast in the lobby, but that makes this even more strange.

Has anyone else seen this in their travels to Hilton brands?
FlyerTalker688786 likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What property?

The more specifics you provide, the better the information.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: IHG - spire amb, Marriot - tit, Radisson - plat, Hilton - gold, Accor -gold, GHA - plat
I have never seen a Nespresso or similar coffee machine in any Hilton
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
What property?

The more specifics you provide, the better the information.
I’m at the Embassy Suites in Springfield, VA. They are charging $2 for a filter pack of Wolfgang Puck coffee located in room.

I did stumble upon packets of coffee hidden in a storage container that are free, but I still have not seen anyone offer “upgraded” in-room coffee for a fee.

Last edited by MASTERNC; Aug 24, 2018 at 9:11 pm
Old Aug 24, 2018, 9:02 pm
PeS

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, BA Gold
Originally Posted by dimon84
Hilton Amsterdam Airport or DT Swindon have Nespresso. I don't drink coffee so not sure about other hotels I stayed in.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 2:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Charging for in room coffee is low, very low.

Higher end properties typically have them, particularly outside the US. Including most Conrads and WAs.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 3:33 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by MASTERNC
(even a Fairmont I stayed at had free K-cups for the in-room machine).
It is my experience that less expensive hotels give more freebies than upper end ones do.
rustykettel likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Hilton Vacation Club gives one day only, directing guests to purchase more downstairs at their shop.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Every Hilton Garden Inn I have stayed at had a Keurig machine in the room and free K-Cups for it.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Seems particularly cheesy given that the property includes a full breakfast.

Post in TripAdvisor.
bitterproffit and B3nder like this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: DL Plat
The Taj SF charges to use the nespresso pods in the room. for a 5 star hotel this shocked me. luckily, i had just gone shopping at the nespresso boutique nearby so i had my own pods

i think i remember reading that an ic in the south pacific also charged to the nespresso pods.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 4:33 pm
Suspended

Room amenities and what is acceptable conduct do vary by region, e.g. US vs. Asia and one should never assume that properties include things which are included here.

But, for a mid-range property in the US which provides coffee with breakfast as an included item, to sell the stuff in the room is out the ordinary.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA, SW, VA, Marriott, IHG, HH
Originally Posted by Kacee
Charging for in room coffee is low, very low.

Higher end properties typically have them, particularly outside the US. Including most Conrads and WAs.
IIRC, Conrad Singapore has keurig/nespresso kind of machine, and free cups. I just assumed though since there's no price label on it like the one on fancy bottled water.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 10:43 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by budumpst
IIRC, Conrad Singapore has keurig/nespresso kind of machine, and free cups. I just assumed though since there's no price label on it like the one on fancy bottled water.
IMO those two products should not be discussed in the same sentence

I was just at Conrad Hong Kong and they have Nespresso.

I've never stayed in a hotel where they charge for Nespresso capsules. Though I do recall one (forget where) where they charged if you ask for extras.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 10:58 pm

This is an absolute shocker for me and something I've never experienced at any hotel I've been to either domestically or worldwide (and I make a point of using all the in-room coffee in my room). That's about as low as I've seen a hotel go (other than not including coffee maker in the room). What's next are they going to charge for using shampoo, conditioner and other toiletries in the bathroom?

On a side note, Nespresso vs Keurig thing really depends on where in the world you are. IME if you're staying at Hiltons in Canada/USA, it's almost always going to be a Keurig since that's the predominant single serve coffee maker over here. It's also somewhat difficult to procure Nespresso cartridges within NA (i.e. you need to be near a boutique or mail order them in which takes time). The only exception I could see for this would be in larger metropolitan areas like SF, where the boutiques are close enough to justify. Outside North America, it's almost always Nespresso since Nespresso has a worldwide cult following whereas Keurig doesn't...I don't even think you can buy a Keurig brewer in Europe!

Safe Travels,

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.