Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Hilton Mobile App" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Hilton Mobile App" thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2018, 5:15 pm

What is everyone's experience with checking in on the app and getting upgraded? Is it better to select your room and then see if you get upgraded at arrival, or just wait for arrival and check in? I've always checked in and tried to choose the best available room within my category, but I've never been upgraded either.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, VA Platinum
Originally Posted by kenbo
What is everyone's experience with checking in on the app and getting upgraded? Is it better to select your room and then see if you get upgraded at arrival, or just wait for arrival and check in? I've always checked in and tried to choose the best available room within my category, but I've never been upgraded either.
Always best to wait till an upgrade is showing unless you know the hotel may be full and no upgrade may be coming then best pick the room you want.

As a regular at one hotel I frequent it does not matter if I check in day before as they will always apply an upgrade later, sometimes I may get upgrade twice in the system before arriving. This is how it is suppost to work but with so many diamonds and not enough upgrades available you will most likely get left out do to you picking a room.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:37 am
Suspended

Only twice I got upgraded when arriving into a hotel with pre-selected room. And that is out of 30 stay in last 10 months.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:38 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Using Hilton mostly in Europe (Hilton, HGI, DT) I checked-in online the morning of my arrival. In 90% of the case I will see I have been upgraded.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
I've never had my room changed after using the app.

The only thing that has happened to me once or twice (but never on a regular basis) is that sometimes it will show me room types I didn't book. For example if I had a 2 Double reservation the app one time showed me 1 King rooms as well. Also I recall one other time it allowed me to select and executive room or my booked room category.

Overall in my experience its always locked me into the room once I select it.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold (LT), Nat EL Exec, Hertz PC
I'm not sure I've ever been upgraded in any form at any Hilton program property, except maybe one, ever.
The button on the app is a joke, so is the supposed program benefit.
ceebee100 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Delta Tupperware Medallion, National EE
I agree that the button is useless. If the boss was willing to pay $25 a night more for a suite, I'd have booked a suite. As far as actually getting comp upgrades when I ask, I get them about half the time.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:48 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
It seems there is a clear discrepancy between the US and the rest of the world (would not be the first time though !). My upgrade success is close to 90%, but then I stay in Europe properties. I am guessing part of this is due to the generally low culture of service in the US.
ceebee100 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I have been given keys to a different room on arrival a couple of times (same hotel): "The room you booked isn't ready now."

I have been upgraded from my selected room once, by the clerk on arrival; however, I suspect he was doing it for a reason unrelated to Diamond. Otherwise, I use mobile checkin generally at properties where I'm fairly certain I'm not going to be upgraded ahead of time.

On a related note, I tried digital key first time recently, which was good for bypassing checkin, but as a key itself I found it clunkier than a plastic card.

​​​​​
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
The request upgrade button is about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike!
Check likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by neo_781

The only thing that has happened to me once or twice (but never on a regular basis) is that sometimes it will show me room types I didn't book. For example if I had a 2 Double reservation the app one time showed me 1 King rooms as well. Also I recall one other time it allowed me to select and executive room or my booked room category.
Would that be considered an upgrade? Overall, my experience has been much like yours.

Originally Posted by ozztraveller
Always best to wait till an upgrade is showing unless you know the hotel may be full and no upgrade may be coming then best pick the room you want.
Now that you mention it, the only time I received an upgrade was the time that I waited. I was going to the Hilton Hawaiian Village and I was monitoring for a high floor ocean front room. A 6th or 7th floor room was assigned to me and then when I arrived at HNL, I noticed I was moved down to the 5th floor. At check-in they told me it was an upgrade because it was a corner/larger room with two balconies.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Delta Tupperware Medallion, National EE
I used OLCI on my current trip, and when I got my key from the FD, they had changed my room from the one I chose. They said the guest in the room extended his/her stay.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 7:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
The only use of the "request upgrade" button for me has been to request a NOR1 (paid) upgrade. While it's annoying that Diamonds are shown any kind of non-suite offers in this app at all (since they should be comped), I've used it a couple times to request a full suite that I'm reasonably certain I'd never get as a Diamond upgrade.

Varies widely whether the NOR1 offers have any value, but occasionally they do. If the suite is available for cash, they'll often process the NOR1 upgrade a week or two prior to the stay.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: MP, Marriott, HHonors
Question

Overall in my experience its always locked me into the room once I select it.
How is everyone "seeing" upgraded rooms or different room types? All I ever get is a choice of room numbers by floor.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by karatelovr
How is everyone "seeing" upgraded rooms or different room types? All I ever get is a choice of room numbers by floor.
When they process an upgrade, you can see the changed room type in the details of your reservation. For example, you might've booked a standard King room, look in the app the morning of your stay, and you see Exec King room. Then, when you go into OLCI, you can select a room from the Exec King category.

At least that's how it has worked for me. I've never had a case where I've been upgraded to some level where I can then look at a wide variety of different upgrade types. It's usually a pre-OLCI upgrade, and then I'm seeing that type of room in OLCI.

If I haven't been upgraded, I just go to the highest floor and look for the room that appears to be farthest from the elevator. Unless it's a property where I know enough about the floorplan to do otherwise...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.