Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Does a Property Know How You Received Your Diamond Status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does a Property Know How You Received Your Diamond Status?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:05 am

Programs: United Premier Silver, Hilton Diamond
IME 7-figure points balances seem to get regular FD staff attention. There are many of us that maintain 7-figure points balances even though we regularly use our points. Very frequent travel, Mutual Fund Accounts, event planning, etc. all add up to significant point earning, and some of us are fortunate enough to benefit from all three opportunities. In our cases, rather than hoarding points (which makes no sense at all), we simply earn points much faster than we can use them at this point in our careers.
This is me. I am pretty much exclusively Hilton properties, vast majority Hampton's in less populated areas. Between lots of travel and AMEX credit card spend, I earn them faster then I have the opportunity to spend them.

If there's one thing I find consistent about Hilton properties is their inconsistency. (Maybe other chains are like this as well, not picking on Hilton.) Some hotels have really great staff across the board, others, not so much. Most will thank you for your Diamond loyalty now, which has changed from a few years ago. I never go into a hotel expecting or even looking for anything other than I booked, a clean, quiet room with a comfortable bed. When an upgrade comes it's a bonus. I have had FDC mention my point balance, and maybe make a comment, but never got the idea it ever led to any better treatment. If a comment is made I will tell them they are my "retirement points". All in all I am happy with the Hilton brand of hotels and the Hilton Honors program.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by robandjojo423
I was greated by a turd in the toilet in my room on my 200 stay in doubletree docklands in London ... lovely
That's definitely the kind of greeting I'm more used to getting, as opposed to the fancy front-desk ones that the high-rollers further upthread are describing. Though one property really went the extra mile - they gave another guest keys to my room and sent him to greet me while I was in the shower. Surprise!
florens likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold & IHG Gold
Red face

Originally Posted by robandjojo423

I was greated by a turd in the toilet in my room on my 200 stay in doubletree docklands in London ... lovely
Sorry.

That might had been me. I had a dodgy kebab when I stayed there recently.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond; SPG/Mar Platinum; UA Silver
Edited
Old Aug 12, 2018, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by smmrfld
As noted in several posts in this forum over the years, FD staff is often impressed by high points balances (200k points doesn't really fall into that category) rather than by other factors that should count more. FD staff is often not well-versed in the program, may be new to the hospitality industry, or is just impressed by a very large number of points. Doesn't really matter why...this is indeed the reality at many properties (again, verified here many times) even though it shouldn't be a factor.
I guess maybe. I crossed 2 million active Hilton points in my account in June and am currently at 71 nights for 2018 and I almost never get upgraded at those Hilton family hotels for which upgrades are a published benefit. I almost always do get diamond acknowledgment and I get the other normal benefits, but, at least for me, my loyalty to Hilton and (I presume) comparatively high point balance has certainly not resulted in "better" treatment than I what I expect other diamonds are getting.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 4:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold & IHG Gold
Originally Posted by WhiteDesert
I guess maybe. I crossed 2 million active Hilton points in my account in June and am currently at 71 nights for 2018 and I almost never get upgraded at those Hilton family hotels for which upgrades are a published benefit. I almost always do get diamond acknowledgment and I get the other normal benefits, but, at least for me, my loyalty to Hilton and (I presume) comparatively high point balance has certainly not resulted in "better" treatment than I what I expect other diamonds are getting.
It is always the case that you have to pester the staff for an upgrade. I was Diamond two years ago and had to persuade the check in staff that if he did not have anything available today, then give me a better room tomorrow. Luckily he told me that he could do that as the Executive room would be available then.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by prism10
It is always the case that you have to pester the staff for an upgrade.
This is absolutely incorrect.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by smmrfld

This is absolutely incorrect.
Yes. I know. I've always been a bit of a stick in the mud about that (it really kind of galls me to have to ask for hotels to honor a published benefit (and yes, I realize an accusation could be made that I'm cutting off my nose to spite my face)).

But anyway, the data point that is my experience with Hilton supports a thesis that even a high point balance and a solid amount of recent activity doesn't appear to change this fact about Hilton-family properties.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 6:49 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by davie355
It's not about the greeting but about tangible status benefits. I've had FD fail to provide bottled water, breakfast vouchers, etc. until I brought up HHonors.
I have never, ever had the FD fail to provide water, breakfast vouchers, etc. I have had to (only once) demand they remove the wifi charges.

I have had them fail to provide an upgrade, and its annoying when that happens, but I don't class (particularly suite) upgrades in the same category as standard benefits like breakfast, high-speed internet, etc. The only real time I wanted to raise a stink was when the FD claimed, when I inquired, that there were no suites available, yet they were still selling several at discounted rates at the time. (I've come to realize that particular property gives you exactly what you booked, no more, no less, regardless of status; I thus directed my business to another Hilton property in that city the past few times I've been there.)

Originally Posted by florens
This is an interesting point. I've wondered before too why I wasn't greeted with a "welcome back". If it is really in front of them then I find it even more disappointing..
I have almost always been greeted with "welcome back." A few times I've been asked if I have stayed at the property before, but find this far outweighed by them automatically offering the greeting... and I've had to dig into the old noggin a few times to remember when it actually was that I'd stayed there before (sometimes 4-5 years previously). These days, I am an Amex Diamond member (have been for the past 3 years, after hitting it on stays the prior several years), and honestly have never felt the FD staff had any clue how status was earned.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
FT'ers overreacting as usual (just like with the star rating system). Point balance gets noticed by FD agents simply because it's one of the things that is highly visible in the OnQ interface, but no property I've ever worked with/at ever emphasized that at all (much less made it policy), much less over status.

As for OP's question: Detailed report of any guest's stay history across HH is easily accessible via OnQ, so if a property wants to know how a guest got status, they can figure it out. The pragmatic answer is that no one cares enough.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by gengar
FT'ers overreacting as usual (just like with the star rating system). Point balance gets noticed by FD agents simply because it's one of the things that is highly visible in the OnQ interface, but no property I've ever worked with/at ever emphasized that at all (much less made it policy), much less over status.
LOL, a quaint if naive perspective, but doubters gonna doubt.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by LHR Wannabee
Thanks everyone! I am going to get the card.
I've been extremely happy that I got mine. If you're able to use all the credits, you'll come out way ahead.

The SPG Luxury has credits that are easier to use, but the Aspire has so much value if you can use the resort and airline credits, along with the weekend night.

I recently redeemed my weekend night at a Curio collection hotel in Paris. The rate was over $450 euros, though I would've never paid that much.

Hope you are equally pleased when you start using yours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.