Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Free Night Certificate Questions & Experiences" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Expiration: The 12 month expiration date on a certificate means you must reserve and complete the stay by the expiration date. You can't reserve something beyond the 12 month period. You can't extend the expiration date. (Some exceptions starting with this post.)

Eligible Dates: A certificate can be used for a Standard Room Award any day of the week. (Old policy limited them to Fri, Sat, Sun).

Other Notes:
  • If you earned a free night from a credit card and cancel the card, the free night certificate remains intact.
  • If you cancel a reservation made with a free night certificate, the certificate becomes available right away.
  • After making a reservation with a free night certificate, you'll get an email that says you booked a Standard Room Award. It will also show the points value, but no points will actually be deducted.
  • The free night from the Aspire card arrives by email within 2 months of being approved and anniversary date, and the free night from spend on the Aspire/Business/Surpass arrives within a week or sooner of reaching the spending threshold. This is irrespective of your card statement date. If you upgrade from another Hilton Amex to the Aspire, the free night may post more quickly.
  • Available, reserved and used certificates can be seen midway through the My Account page (https://www.hilton.com/en/hilton-hon...st/my-account/)
  • If you're waiting for a free night certificate to arrive, Hilton reps say it does not help to make a points reservation and then swap it later. The reason is they have to cancel the old points reservation one and make a new reservation. The old one can't just be edited to change the payment to a FNC.
Archived older notes:
  • From the Hilton email regarding a special 2020 policy on some certificates, "For all unexpired Weekend Night Rewards as of March 11, 2020, and all new ones issued until August 30, 2020, we are extending the expiration date through the end of next summer (August 31, 2021). There is no need for you to do anything, as your certificate(s) are being automatically updated in our systems. We hope this adjustment gives you some additional flexibility for your travels
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Free Night Certificate Questions & Experiences" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Any actual DP's as to how long after opening the account the certificate comes?
Mine took about 2 months.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by Westcoaster
​​​​​In what form did it arrive? Email? Just showed up in your Hilton profile?

Last edited by bomax; Jan 14, 2019 at 5:17 am
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:12 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
Thank you. Now I asked then if that date will become the anniversary for the certificate, or if it will be the anniversary of getting the card which would be 2 months sooner. Makes a difference when you're figuring out when to use it.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by bomax

I don't have Aspire, but did get a certificate for spending $15,000 on Ascend. I got an email and it was in my Hilton profile. It came almost immediately after hitting the spend.
bomax likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
I don't have Aspire, but did get a certificate for spending $15,000 on Ascend. I got an email and it was in my Hilton profile. It came almost immediately after hitting the spend.
Yes, that happened to me last year, too. Didn't even wait for the cycle to close, got it immediately.

Odd that the Aspire one is taking so long. It's not tied to the bonus spend, so why not just issue it immediately?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Any actual DP's as to how long after opening the account the certificate comes?
I was responding to you because I was speaking from experience. My Aspire weekend certificate arrived in December. I opened the card in October. It came in an email. I will receive another certificate on my anniversary month which is October 2019. Your first certificate takes about 8-12 weeks from when you first opened the account. It might arrive sooner, but that is the average according to 2 different Amex reps. This is just the way it is.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by bomax

I got an email from Hilton with a reward code and instructions on how to use it. The next day I was able to see the reward info in my Amex account.
bomax likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Cat88L3
I was responding to you because I was speaking from experience. My Aspire weekend certificate arrived in December. I opened the card in October. It came in an email. I will receive another certificate on my anniversary month which is October 2019. Your first certificate takes about 8-12 weeks from when you first opened the account. It might arrive sooner, but that is the average according to 2 different Amex reps. This is just the way it is.
That's really not what you said above - you said "you get one when you first open the account" - that is not true it seems, or you would have gotten your first one in October, and I would have gotten mine in December. And we didn't. So just have to wait.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
That's really not what you said above - you said "you get one when you first open the account" - that is not true it seems, or you would have gotten your first one in October, and I would have gotten mine in December. And we didn't. So just have to wait.
*Le sigh* I didn't know that you wanted a breakdown of weeks, days, and minutes lol. You do get the first certificate when you open the account. It isn't immediately available. It takes weeks for it to physically get to you. The annual weekend certificates will arrive the month that you opened your card/account.

FYI everyone, Amex will have this info readily. When I called the Hilton Honors desk, they didn't seem to know when it would be issued. I was told by 2 different Diamond desk reps that Amex handles the issuing of the certificates since it's associated with the Amex Aspire. When I called Amex, the info was immediately given to me about the status of my certificate.

I found it was very easy to redeem my certificate. My weekend night at the Conrad Koh Samui is already booked. Took about 4 minutes with the Diamond Desk to finalize everything.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I upgraded ascend to aspire in november - cert arrived recently. My card anniversary is in may (i assume based on ascend opening date) - does it mean i should expect another one in may?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I finally got my certificate reinstated after numerous back and forth on Twitter and also emailing Marriott customer service multiple times. It still took an additional week to get it sorted through tweets, DMs, and email so over 5 weeks total. Also, Marriott rep through email originally claimed they couldn’t reinstate certificate but would give me 40,000 points instead which I refused. I went back to Twitter to complain about offer and then all of sudden the certificate reappeared. Worst Hilton experience ever.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Originally Posted by AICML
I finally got my certificate reinstated after numerous back and forth on Twitter and also emailing Marriott customer service multiple times. It still took an additional week to get it sorted through tweets, DMs, and email so over 5 weeks total. Also, Marriott rep through email originally claimed they couldn’t reinstate certificate but would give me 40,000 points instead which I refused. I went back to Twitter to complain about offer and then all of sudden the certificate reappeared. Worst Hilton experience ever.
did you mean Hiilton instead of Marriott?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by mintcilantro
did you mean Hiilton instead of Marriott?
Maybe that is why it was so difficult.
Cat88L3 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Lol yeah meant Hilton! Guess all that back and forth fried my brain... plus I have recently been booking a lot of Marriott reservations.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 8:10 pm

My certificate expires in a couple of weeks. It says ".The weekend night reward is valid for 12 months after date of issuance." Does this mean I have to reserve and stay before the expiration? Or just make the reservation and apply the certificate so that I could actually stay on some date beyond the expiration?

ETA: Looks like the Citi certificates could not be extended. This was for the Ascend card spend, but perhaps still a no-go?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.